Troll joined January 2010? Don't feed 'em

Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
Another person to put on ignore for doing totaly useless posts.
zsh|xmms2|fcron|gtar|gcoreutils

I think Nokia understands that Apple gets 30% of the $200mil US/mo revenue, generated by "3rd party vendors" in the app store (per recent CNBC report "Planet of the apps"). The cost:benefit ratio of trying to develop "in house" is most likely not feasible. Don't forget, if they develop apps, they would need additional resources to support them.

I'm really waiting for the ability to connect to my sling box, but that's not Nokia's responsibility.

Last edited by colnago; 2010-01-15 at 12:46.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Unfortunately I suspect this is going to be a common reaction to the device from end-users. To a certain extent they're right. The big N900 showcase blowing up the Nokia Store window here sure doesn't say "This is an early adopter device, step 4 out of 5, etc.".

EDIT: Actually I guess it might, I didn't look in the bottom corner of the window for small print

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sadfist For This Useful Post:
Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
And to play devil's advocate: What makes you think Maemo6 will have any more apps at launch? I'm not at all disappointed with the update. It made my device super snappy and essentially filled the gaps I felt were there in the earlier Firmware versions.

This is a Linux device and the only fulfillment that it will provide is for people nerdishly wanting a Linux device to hack around with. If you expected anything more than an N810 with a phone, you're gonna get disappointed.

Now, I would caution anyone wanting to believe Maemo6 will provide more than that... Don't get your (false) hopes up.

Posts: 72 | Thanked: 31 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Germany
Report This | #1
Today iPhone and N97 are loaded with applications... It's not about the hardware/OS only, Nokia should understand that without the software and the comprehensive applications on the N900 it's like having a Ferrari without seats and a stereo system... by the time the fixes and the apps will be out probably iPhone will have a new higher generation of phones. This is not a Marathon... It's a Sprint when it comes to technology.

After releasing two firmware upgrades and opening the Ovi store in the last two weeks Nokia made a huge step forward and took a lot of wind out of the sails of complainers. Your requests are somewhat justifiable but the way they are demanded totally ridiculous.

For your recall: The phone was released not even six weeks ago, (compare the Iphone - exactly three years ago). Now think about your statement, let me know if you need an explanation.

Last edited by osfight.de; 2010-01-15 at 12:47.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to osfight.de For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Well, let's see:

MMS - coming through the community (fMMS)
Personalised ringtones - coming via the community (tweakr)
Custom profiles - coming via the community (shepherd)
More games - coming via the community (sheep!!)

Rereading the first post it seems to me the problem the OP is having is with the rather empty shelves of the Ovi store, and not anything to do with n900 at all - "Loaded with apps"? But n900 was never advertised as having 'loads of apps' because it's a new platform. Of course, Maemo 6 will be back to square one mostly, for apps, except for those Maemo 5 app written in Qt and portable.

firstly its plain stupid to compare the N900 to iPhone, especially when it comes to Apps. N900 has only been on the market for 1 1/2 months, while iPhone has been around for years.

Secondly, the N900 IS NOT A PHONE. Its an "internet tablet", but basically its a micro PC with Linux installed. It only has phone capabilities. Which is minimal anyway. But I dont care, I only want a phone which can make phone calls and send texts.

Do you REALLY care that it doesnt have MMS, or more profiles etc? Really, you buy a phone for THAT?

The N900 is a great phone, and Maemo 5 is just excellent.

If you dont like it, then sell it and buy a gayPhone. Were not stopping you

The Following User Says Thank You to Snaps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
No.

Incomplete is bad. Let them finish it. Complain it's not here, make it here. Complain it's too slow, rush them. When it's out, complain it misses features other have. At least this way there' only one complaint type. I'd much rather they release it when it's ready. I mean, really ready.

--

Also, the fact that it provides not features $20 phones have is simply wrong, to be polite. A $20 car can be fixed for $2, it does not mean that a $2.000.000 car is bad because it can't do that. It's not like it's less than a $20 phone, it offers other stuff the others don't like A-GPS and stuff. And if you think that delayed 3G video call is more important than A-GPS, then sell the damned device. What are you doing buying an N900 Linux tablet if you want a phone?

That's like saying the Bugatti Veyron can't go over bumps. If you go over bumps, you bought the wrong car. Get an SUV. It makes sense.

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ndi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
Secondly, the N900 IS NOT A PHONE. Its an "internet tablet", ...
Originally Posted by Snaps View Post
The N900 is a great phone, ...
Try again.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
fremantle, future, harmattan, harmattan on n900, maemo, maemo 5, maemo 6, maemo 6 on n900, mysterious future, n900, n900 pr1.1, pr1.1, troll!, trolling, waiting, won't happen soon