Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mced View Post
First rule of TOHKBD2 non working keys is: you do not talk about TOHKBD2 non working keys.
No, instead what you do, is you actively try to use them
(but love the fightclub reference, though...)

As it happens I got one stuck key in the beginning, but it fixed itself in a day.
I was also worried a bit when I had my Ö-key askew but that turned to be fixable with some advice from @dirkvl

the second rule of TOHKBD2: you do not talk about - oh hang on...
*reads the rules again*

right yeah, the second rule of TOHKBD2: No smoking.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tetris11_ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by mosen View Post
@chenliangchen, @MikeHG
I can confirm that using the keys actually betters the response a lot.
Using the KB since ~4 weeks, the 'w' had issues until yesterday
So, expect improvement over time!
look, it wwwwwwworks nowwwwwww
my "t" is sttttttttill notttttttttt working with ttttttttttthe "click", pressing like mad now. Hope can softttten it and make ittt work soon!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
I found certain keys requires more pressure than others. As sometimes I already hear/feel the "click" but the keyboard did not recognise the input, I have to press harder to make it work. So even if my finger feels the "click" it doesn't necessary mean you typed that letter. Which makes quite frustrated while typing quickly, as I missed a lot letters.

Wondering anyone else having the same problem or it's just me? Will there be any method to make it softer or more sensitive on pressure?
Note that this method is not endorsed by Dirk or Andrew or Kimmoli as far as I know.

Use completely at your own risk!!!!

You can take the backplate off the keyboard either by gently heating it with a hair dryer or by magnetising it to the bottom of a pot of boiled water, and holding the pot up so as to not press the backplate into the keyboard for a stronger bond. Do not apply direct heat to the pot or the keyboard, just let the heat from the water warm up the keyboard.

Once you have pealed the backplate off, likely by wedging it off the keyboard by using a bank card, you need to gently get the top edge of the circuit board out from the grove in the casing that it sits in. Once you have done that, you can gently push the three Y-shaped structural elements from the casing (quite an ingenious design, I would say!) into the keyboard to free the circuit board up and out of the casing. The keys of the keyboard are held in place with some tabs, and will carefully slide out if you press the keys gently into the keyboard (like 0.5 of a milimeter or so, just so that it clears the edges of the casing), and then gently slide it up (away from you if you were to be holding the keyboard and typing on it), under the casing.

The keys that are not reactive enough will correspond to silver-colours buttons on the circuit board. If you place a small piece of clear packing tape (about 2 mm x 2 mm) onto the button, you can increase the length of your key press, and thus the key should be more reactive. You may find you might need two layers of tape in some cases. It is recommended that after each piece of tape is placed, the keyboard be reassembled (without the backplate, of course), and the key sensitivity tested for all keys. Type something like "the quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog" a few times to test all of the letter keys if you find it boring to type out the alphabet in order.

When you are happy with your results, reassemble the keyboard, glue the backplate back on by reheating the glue and pressing it back onto the keyboard, and your typing experience should be improved.

Again, this method is completely at your own risk!

On an unrelated note, does anyone know what glue was initially used for gluing the backplate onto the board?

EDIT: Fixed the pangram from "jumped" to "jumps", as suggested by ssahla on together.jolla.com.

Last edited by oenone; 2015-08-28 at 10:38.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to oenone For This Useful Post:
@oenone Thank you for the detailed instruction. I was intended to do a disassembly and your info confirms it. I'm waiting for my paint spray to arrive so I can paint 3D printed case as well as fixing keyboards.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
Kimmoli [feature request]:
It would be great if you include an option to 'beep' or 'flash led' on every key stroke. When I'm "devel-suing" in FingerTerm, I fail 4 out of every 5 times because devel-su doesn't show asterisks when typing a password.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Posts: 343 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris, France
I am just back from vacation and was very pleased to have a tohkbd waiting from me
Working ok even if this is a bit hard to type but I expect that will get smoother with time
One little question: am I blind or there is no '@' on the azerty kbd?

Posts: 115 | Thanked: 185 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Spain
[crossout]Between right SHIFT and right FUNCTION.[/crossout]

Sorry, didn't read "azerty". I'm blind too.

The Following User Says Thank You to mced For This Useful Post:
Was trying to call up a 3D printing service, but there seems no length, width and height dimensions in these STL file? I can't see it myself as well. Maybe I'm wrong, but is there any method to get the dimensions of unit in mm?

=====================

Update: Thanks Jarnose I have successfully placed order on shapeways. Now just waiting for the delivery.

PS: Almost ordered a matte black steel version, I realised magnetic won't work before placing order.

Last edited by chenliangchen; 2015-08-17 at 20:16.

The Following User Says Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Tampere / Finland
I sent those stl files to shapeways, and got a perfect case

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jarnose For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd