Active Topics

Posts: 2,869 | Thanked: 1,784 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Po' Bo'. PA
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I am so pissed of with Stephen Elop. Nokia was doing great until OPK left. All the problems started since Elop came. Ansi, & Jaaksi left and now Elop has totally destroyed the finnish company. Is there anything we as consumers can do to let the stock holders know our disapproval of Elop's plans? Surely this is not the way to go forward. What will happen to the Finnish economy? What about all the employees at nokia who have been working on symbian and meego?
Is there anything we can do to get our old nokia back??? Like an open letter to the stock holders to fire Elop and stop this madness??
They do know what the stockholders want... profit and growth.

I for one am kind of glad that Nokia can get back to what it does well... Design, develop, and produce excellent phones. It now has a shot at the 74% of the US market that still do not have "smart-phones".

In 18 to 24 months time those numbers will be reversed. If Nokia did not get off the "burning Symbian deck" now, those new smart-phones would be sold by Motorola and Apple.

This is good for consumers all the way around. Motorola has had a history of stifling software technology by offering models spec'ed the way that they wanted them. (Think J2ME). I'm thinkin' if their Android handset sales keep growing the way that they have been, it won't be long before they start wagging the Google dog too.

...and Apple. Don't even tease me. They are gaining the clout to dictate future standards in ways that may affect them in a positive way but, may have negative outcomes for anyone else. (Think Flash).

Edit: Sorry 'bout that Sach. My Keyboard batteries died mid post and I was posting from home while waiting for a ride to the airport.

When I finally do get back I'm going to have to deal with that keyboard as well as the handfull of remote controls I tore up hunting for dang AAA batteries.

SLN member # 009

Last edited by YoDude; 2011-02-13 at 17:56.

The Following User Says Thank You to YoDude For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Dear Gerbick, I've been on the same page with you longer than I care to remember so I'm more than surprised how you can see any positives in this MS-Elop maneuver.
I'm not cool with it at all. In fact, I've stated that it feels just backwards as hell.

But I'm going to be realistic about it at all times.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Great summary. I wish nokia stock falls to an unbelievable level and they kick elop out.
It's not a great summary, it's a surrealistic mishmash of Finnish history and linux kernel code (1). The message seems to be "Finns are awesome so don't change anything at Nokia! We fought Stalin, now give us root shell access!" That's why the board brought in a non-Finnsh CEO in the first place. These posts are getting surreal. I could gather a group of twelve-year-old girls online and tell them Taylor Lautner won't be in the next Twilight movie and not see posts this surreal. I'm just waiting for the first mention of Simo Hayha. (2)

(1) That's one of those sentences you never, ever imagine having to write.
(2) http://www.cracked.com/article_17019...ike-*****.html

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post:
Nokia has nothing to sell this year then, as Symbian and Meego development is now stopped. Who would develop applications anymore to the dying platforms? Who would fix the bugs, if he is about to get sacked very soon.

Why anyone would buy E7 or N8 now, then if there is new serious bugs, they maybe are not fixed because those who should fix those have no motivation?

Next quarter for Nokia will be negative already.

Although voting with stocks sounds good, I am not going to waste my money on company which may well go bankrupt now.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Nokia strategy started to change drastically with the arrival of elope. That's when ANSI, jacks & opk left.
Nokia has only started to decline (marketshare%, putting out craps like n97, inefficiency in r&d: maemo since 2007 and still not done, losing touch with the higher end market, etc) ever since Elop joined?

Dude, you gotta recalibrate your perception.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 566 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Lower Saxony
Face the facts:

The champion of Open Software Phones is now in bed with the arch enemy of Open Software, and the one MeeGo device will be stock orphaned like N900.

Elop clarified that MeeGo will ship this year but "not as part of another broad smarpthone platform strategy, but as an opportunity to learn." Something that sounds very similar to position Nokia took with its so-called "experimental" Maemo-based N900 last year. After the first (and apparently, only) MeeGo device ships this year, the MeeGo team will then "change their focus into an exploration of future platforms, future devices, future user experiences." Trying to determine the "next disruption" in smartphones.
BuBye Nokia.

I'll prolly keep using N900s for a long time....I might buy the MeeGo device if it is as good or better than N900 was at its time. WP7 I will not touch like I wont touch Android or Apple....

The Following User Says Thank You to casketizer For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the funny link I can share with my Indian friends if nothing else.

What may appear surreal to you may turn out to be reality to quite a few others. But I'm glad you're easily amused.

Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Not that I was serious about buying stock, as I know that won't happen.

But, if you truly believe that MeeGo/Symbian/Qt is the best path forward to rule the mobile world, why wouldn't you buy the stock cheap, then lobby to get back on that path? You could wind up rich beyond your wildest dreams.

Better yet, start your own company and produce phones that use MeeGo/QT. Shouldn't be that hard. (Isn't that the mantra around here - do it yourself - or does that only apply to software?)

But, if you truly believe that MeeGo/Symbian/Qt is the best path forward to rule the mobile world
Well it is not the easiest path, but the ONLY one for nokia.
But that is history now, their strategy failed, not only Elops fault.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rugoz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 328 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Venezuela
Hi guys,

I was really distraught when i heard the news of this merger. I just seems like a real BS move on Nokias part to go running to MS for "salvation". MS tried their hands at a mobile platform with windows mobile that tanked, that should have been eye opener for nokias board of directors. I really expected nokia to reclaim the top spot with a polished meego OS that one could identify with nokia devices and blow the competition away. What a let down!

The Following User Says Thank You to carlon For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining