Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
It's not a loaner. In fact, I'd ask where you even got that notion. Care to share? Something concrete though; not opinion.
All loaners I had so far from different manufacturers came with a contract to sign.

The Jolla C came with a T-shirt and a welcome drink instead.

Also, the device is not marked as property of Jolla, it's just marked as Limited Edition on the back cover.

Anyway, I suppose the only reason why you're warned against removing the protective cover is that once it's off, you won't be able to reattach it, and cutting out the holes necessary for a fitting cover would be tedious. I don't know if the screen scratches easier without the cover as I did not bother taking it off, and didn't actually notice there was a protective cover until I read it in the e-mail a few days later, so perfect it fits.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
As stated above, it doesn't quite work like that.

BlackBerry did the same thing with their devices; asked us not to take them apart, respect their inner-workings. It's said, but it's not followed. Heck, after my first BlackBerry dev device broke, I asked and they said "We have to say that, but feel free to do whatever you wish" and I did.

It was the same with the initial Tizen devices too.

It's not a loaner. In fact, I'd ask where you even got that notion. Care to share? Something concrete though; not opinion.
I got an idea that it's program you pay for and get. Device is part of the program, so device is not sold to you, but loaned?
The same thing with all the companies you mentioned, but they gave it for free and I think they care less if you damage it as they had plenty of them and new devices. But Jolla seems to have limited number. They do not even provide warranty.
And from quote I saw from their email to customers:
"The protective cover over the display is meant to be kept on to protect the display, so please do not take it off when you receive the device."

The Following User Says Thank You to ZogG For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by Bubbless View Post
You're saying that Jolla can claim the devices back anytime they want?
Plain and simply, no. It's yours'.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Plain and simply, no. It's yours'.
I know it's mine. Just curious why ZogG seems to think that it isn't.

The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I know it's mine. Just curious why ZogG seems to think that it isn't.
Because he's wrong.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Because he's wrong.
But why he is wrong?

The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
But why he is wrong?
The Jolla C is not a loaner. It's a device offered by Jolla sans warranty, quite the oddity in the EU admittedly so; but it's not a development loaner device as he's going on and on about where you have to return the items. As stated before in this thread; those types of returned devices come with a NDA, an agreement that states otherwise. Such was the case with the Nokia devices, some of the Tizen devices, and many others. Now, whether those devices were ever returned, most were not even asked for after the lifetime of the device.

tl;dr - Why he thinks otherwise, I've no clue. But it's seemingly the wrong assumption. It could be remedied by purchasing one, reading the actual terms and conditions as opposed to continue assumptions. But that's not what we're dealing with at all. This is a device offered to folks for a minimal entry fee, to do what they please but without a warranty. Open it up at your own peril.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
Anyway, I suppose the only reason why you're warned against removing the protective cover is that once it's off, you won't be able to reattach it, and cutting out the holes necessary for a fitting cover would be tedious. I don't know if the screen scratches easier without the cover as I did not bother taking it off, and didn't actually notice there was a protective cover until I read it in the e-mail a few days later, so perfect it fits.
I have to ponder the usefulness of a non-replaceable screen cover...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Also there's plenty of these glass-type display covers which are supposedly very good. (I have never seen one myself so this is just 2nd hand knowledge)
There should be something that more or less fits on top of the model-c, right? Because nowdays all phone devices look like each other...

(In reality I do not understand how those are supposed to work? How does the protective glass stick to the device glass? Do you need to use some glue or something?)

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Also there's plenty of these glass-type display covers which are supposedly very good. (I have never seen one myself so this is just 2nd hand knowledge)
There should be something that more or less fits on top of the model-c, right? Because nowdays all phone devices look like each other...
Was looking for covers for my Jolla C the other day.... Lumia 950 covers were ok size wise, but they had rounded corners and button/camera holes in wrong places. Maybe Lumia 950 protective glass fits Jolla C?

BTW LastuCase mentioned on twitter that they might make Jolla C covers. Nice to hear that the tablet-gate didn't completely put them off from Jolla products.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Bubbless For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla c, sailfish os