Active Topics

Originally Posted by soeiro View Post
Any news on this?
No, still no news I've hoped this will be supported by the new firmware, but it isn't ...

Originally Posted by jannok View Post
Implementing ME side seems relatively easy, but I could find a way to communicate with SIM. Communication between ME and SIM is described in http://www.3gpp.org/FTP/Specs/html-info/1114.htm

Usually SIM access is done through Dbus, but I found only methods for reading IMEI and accessing contacts on SIM.

http://wiki.maemo.org/Phone_control
http://mxr.maemo.org/fremantle-20091...y-maemo.c#1815

I could not find code for service(s) that replies to these DBus messages and actually accesses the SIM card.
I know the first link - it's a generic description of the API between ME and the SIM, but AFAIK this is unusable as this is 'hidden under the cover of Maemo'.

Thanks for the two other links - they're interesting, but AFAIK there are no d-bus messages for communicating with the SIM (OK, there are some messages to access contacts etc. but not those we need).

So either someone (Nokia?) has to add those d-bus messages, or we need to access the SIM in a different way. Or maybe I'm completely wrong

Originally Posted by tomasvondra View Post
So either someone (Nokia?) has to add those d-bus messages, or we need to access the SIM in a different way. Or maybe I'm completely wrong
Is anybody from Nokia reading this?

There are some features on some operators that are only available through the use of the SIM applications. Example: banking, phone credit management, other configuration options, etc.

i hope, that someone of the maemo developers are reading this..

a lot of people need a sim tool kit

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
Right! A lot of people need this feature! The strage thing is that issue is not treated like a bug but like a brainstorm thing!

To be honest i can't find another smartphone, cause this should be N900, without this feature implemented by default! We are talking about GSM or what?

Lucky us! We are proudly named Nokia customers! I work in sales and this is not the right aproach for a customer. Right now I'm not happy the way Nokia is treating me!

I don'n know why I bother my had with this Nokia doesn't care...

Funny thing: I sold my N95 8GB and I saved some money for a while to can buy this ultimate device. Now I'm looking back and ask myself why? There are so many things that N95 8GB could handlle... N900 is a child because of his lack of applications and features that are found on muck cheeper phones!

Hope Nokia reads this...

Posts: 384 | Thanked: 95 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Romania
... or at least Andre Kappler, the one who can treat this as a bug and not like a brainstorm issue!

I just don't get it. Isn't the SIM support supposed to be the standard for GSM phones? My first GSM phone had it (it was a Nokia, by the way), my last phone had it.

Now, not only we can't access a feature that makes the N900 inferior to any other GSM phone on the market today, but we can't even complain that this is a bug.

Originally Posted by puiradu View Post
Right! A lot of people need this feature! The strage thing is that issue is not treated like a bug but like a brainstorm thing!
There was a "nokia should do it" option in the brainstorm, but somebody removed it for some reason. Don't ask me why it was removed - I have not noticed any explanation.

Anyway I've just noticed there are two new options in the brainstorm, so let's hope they won't be removed too ...

hmm...

noone else need the simtoolkit?

Posts: 1 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Romania
I need this feature too. I wonder when il will be available.