Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
Markets Today is a desktop widget to monitor financial markets. The widget is currently in Alpha Beta stage and is available in extras-devel. Harmattan release can be downloaded from here.

You can update the quotes manually or setup auto-update the quotes every few minutes (please see known issues).

Data source is Yahoo! finance. Any indexes/stock tickers supported by yahoo are supported in this app. However, this is not a real-time quote-streaming application or a portolio-tracking application. Assume at least 20 min delay for the quotes.

The specific delays for each exchange supported by Yahoo finance are listed here.

I used this app idea to learn QML. Widget functionality is based on Qt4 Home screen loader. This project is hosted on maemo garage. License is GPL. Check the source or file bugs from garage.

Known Issues:

1) Not tested with CSSU.

2) Memory usage is around 12% on regular use. While I am working on cutting this down, I noticed that the Qt Maemo 5 Homescreen example uses 6% by itself. Appreciate any help from experienced devs on this one. See release 0.2-1

3) Auto-update feature is buggy. You will be prompted to select a connection every time, if no pre-configured connections are available to connect automatically.

4) Not tested with proxy-server setup. Let me know if you face any issues using this widget with a proxy server.

Future Enhancements (based on feedback):

1) Headline news (Subject only) based on RSS feed. Completed

2) Charts Completed

3) Other UI enhancements.

Usage Instructions/Tips:

1) Use INDU as the ticker symbol for Dow Jones, for some reason Yahoo doesn't support ^DJIA.

2) Double tap ^ on virtual keyboard to enter the ^ character (I never RTFM, so this could just be my ignorance).

As with most application in extras-devel or alpha state, use this application at your own risk. Feedback is welcome.
Attached Images

Maintainer of Markets Today (Yahoo Finance based desktop widget/app)

Last edited by scifi.guy; 2011-07-19 at 19:44. Reason: Harmatta release

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
I shall definitely keep an eye on this app, many thanks.

Dan

The Following User Says Thank You to Dancairo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 19 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Netherlands, The
I was just looking for a widget like this. With charts included, it would be perfect.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baaart For This Useful Post:
Posts: 195 | Thanked: 108 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ SF Bay Area, United States
marketstoday-0.2-1 has been released to extras-devel. Here is the changelog

* Reduced high memory usage caused by a QML memory leak.
* Markets Today can now be used also as an app (for Harmattan port).
* Added configurable RSS news feed (general market news) in widget and app.
* Added stock details (full screen) with stock-specific news and charts from Yahoo finance.

Since Harmattan does not seem to support widgets, I have included the full screen UI to use Markets Today as an app.

Screenshots for RSS news and stock charts below.

Thanks to Tim Samoff and Dave Neary for suggesting UX improvements during the Meego Conference. I have implemented most of their suggestions in this release. I have also received feedback regarding the widget column size and the feature to allow selection of data displayed in widget.

Known Issue: Auto-update will work fine if you select "Any Connection" for Settings --> Internet Connections --> Connect automatically. But if you select any other option in settings (Wifi for example) and wifi is not available, you will get an annoying prompt repeatedly to select a network. I am trying to get help on this issue.

Feedback welcome
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post:
Thanks to sony123 for the Yahoo finance chart URL idea from stockona. I was trying to reinvent the wheel by creating custom charts, but static image is fine as long as it serves the purpose.

nice update, but i doesn't show charts here. It just keeps loading continuously (both wifi and normal mobile internet connection)

Hmm, I also believe that when I switch desktops and touch the widget it loads fullscreen, when it should not...

Last edited by Baaart; 2011-07-14 at 09:40.

The Following User Says Thank You to Baaart For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Baaart View Post
nice update, but i doesn't show charts here. It just keeps loading continuously (both wifi and normal mobile internet connection)
Can you open this link in your N900 browser and let me know if the chart is showing up? Also, what is the final URL once image is loaded?

http://bit.ly/nWCOxJ

Hmm, I also believe that when I switch desktops and touch the widget it loads fullscreen, when it should not...
Do you mean that the stock details window is triggered accidentally when you touch the widget while switching desktops?

I noticed this issue too. This is because, right now clicking anywhere on the row for a symbol triggers the full-screen details. Advanced gesture control options for a desktop widget are limited. I can restrict the mouse area to around the stock symbol only (not the full row) to avoid accidental triggers but I am not sure whether this will be intuitive for first time users. Let me know your opinion.

The link is working and it gives me this url: http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/z?q=&...US&t=1d&s=YHOO

so that seems right to me. This shows what is exactly shows here, it just keeps loading with no result:

About the activation on switching desktops, I would definitely change it so it does not activate when you accidentally hit the widget. Like you say to use the symbol as trigger is not intuitive. Perhaps you can add a column on the right with the small button (>) like the one you use in full-screen to go to the graph, if this is possible. That is intuitive in my opinion to get more information on a particular stock.

Further on the widget works like a charm, and I really find it useful.

The link is working and it gives me this url: http://chart.finance.yahoo.com/z?q=&...US&t=1d&s=YHOO

so that seems right to me. This shows what is exactly shows here, it just keeps loading with no result:
Can you execute these steps and PM me the log file - /home/user/.marketstoday/marketstoday.log?

Code:
$killall marketstoday
$rm -f /home/user/.marketstoday/marketstoday.log
$run-standalone.sh /opt/marketstoday/marketstoday
- Are you using any proxy server?
- What happens when you click on the buttons 1d, 5d, 1y etc.?

marketstoday-0.2-2maemo5 has been released to extras-devel. Here is the changelog.

* First release for Harmattan.
* Added Volume column in desktop widget.
* Added Volume and Market Capitalization columns in App.
* Changed the way to invoke stock details window to avoid accidental triggers.
* Selecting a ticker row now displays "i" icon. Clicking on this icon brings up the stock details window.
* Fixed dpkg build syntax error that increased the source tar size from 700 KB to > 4MB.

Harmattan deb file is available for download on Maemo garage at https://garage.maemo.org/frs/?group_id=2110.
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to scifi.guy For This Useful Post: