Notices

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 1,045 times | Joined on Dec 2014 @ Earth
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
In your case, they both match since Zgierz is within Lodzkie which is matching Lodz via substring match.
Would it be possible to order the search by the reverse size of the match.

i.e.: sort entry that match "Lodz" to a city, before those that match a region, before those that match a whole country.

Or match by the the shortness of the interval if you only do full-string matches ? (One is matching "(Antoniewska), (Lodz), Lodzkie" with only ", " between the groups, the other is matching "(Antoniewska), Grietz, (Lodz)kie" with ", Grietz, " in between the groups)

And by the way, nothing to do with the above, I like the "highway sign" display during navigation.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrYak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 624 | Thanked: 3,232 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by DrYak View Post
Would it be possible to order the search by the reverse size of the match.

i.e.: sort entry that match "Lodz" to a city, before those that match a region, before those that match a whole country.

Or match by the the shortness of the interval if you only do full-string matches ? (One is matching "(Antoniewska), (Lodz), Lodzkie" with only ", " between the groups, the other is matching "(Antoniewska), Grietz, (Lodz)kie" with ", Grietz, " in between the groups)

And by the way, nothing to do with the above, I like the "highway sign" display during navigation.
If I promote city over region, we'll get also pub over city. So, this will lead to the hits to the pubs called Lodz in some small villages over Poland.

Matches are done via search in hierarchy, not as a search in strings.

So, would have to be careful in changing it.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,529 | Thanked: 17,198 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I am still convinced that the best solution would be a nested search, like I suggested a number of times.
Country, region, town, street, house number, in that order, with separate entry fields, without an option to even start entering the next field before the previous one is fully populated.

No need to parse the address, instant search would apply at that hierarchy level only. So typing "Edin" when a town is expected would only yield "Edinburgh" but not the "Duke of Edinburgh" pub; typing "Oxf" when a street is expected would yield "Oxford Street" in the selected town (also "Oxford Circus" if the town is London ), but not hundreds of other "Oxford Street"s in other towns and definitely not Oxford the city...

DrYak's Lodz problem would automatically resolve itself at the "entering the town name" level, since you would have a small list to choose from.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: