ok, I don't have the time to read all 83 pages, can anyone tell me if there are any differences in the ABI between Harmattan and Fremantle? (i.e. calling conventions, instruction sets etc) And can anyone tell me if there are any known issues regarding libc (or the libraries that come with GCC and get used by stuff) on both platforms that affect using Harmattan binaries (and specifically Harmattan shared libraries) on Fremantle?

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
ok, I don't have the time to read all 83 pages, can anyone tell me if there are any differences in the ABI between Harmattan and Fremantle? (i.e. calling conventions, instruction sets etc) And can anyone tell me if there are any known issues regarding libc (or the libraries that come with GCC and get used by stuff) on both platforms that affect using Harmattan binaries (and specifically Harmattan shared libraries) on Fremantle?
There are many There was a pretty good report once at http://linuxtesting.org/compatibilit...at_report.html , but it is offline now... Happily, it is archived in Internet Archive: http://web.archive.org/web/201408040...at_report.html

edit: sh*t, lots of links with detailed list of problems there don't work anymore... I'll see if I have this page archived on my second computer, but I doubt...

Last edited by misiak; 2014-10-12 at 12:44.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Well, from the MeeCoLay developer's point:
1. There are weird segfaults without any backtrace. It might be related to the window manager, X updates. No one knows.
2. Qt Components have some bugs, so running Harmattan apps might be tricky. qt-components-10 crash because of the status area, qt-components-1.4 suffer from an unknown-cause bug [1]
3. X is out of date, so the libX11-based apps (Icy Tower or other games) won't run at all.
4. libc6 is out of date, so timed can't be build (so many other libraries can't be built). AFAIR, stock calendar crashes with an updated libc6 and the times zones went mad for me when using 2.10. Hildon-desktop went mad too once, but I removed the 2.10 version after that.
5. libdsme is out of date, so a local copy has to be used.
6. I have no idea whether the library packs actually work as they should. They give no linking errors but they might be a possible cause for some segfualts.
7. Some SQLite-based apps go crazy if run from the launcher, see LoanMoaner
8. If you want to run meegotouch-based apps, you need the version 0.26. The extras-devel one is bugged as hell. Nothing runs with it.
9. Applauncherd probably doesn't always work as expected. It's probably related to the filesystem structure. I didn't tweak it further due to lack of interest on the developers' side.

It's all I can give you off the top of my head. Feel free to ask some more detailed questions. Btw. are you trying to run N9 apps on Neo900?

[1] http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...postcount=1680

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Btw. are you trying to run N9 apps on Neo900?
I think jonwil's question is related more to reverse engineering (maybe some packages were opensourced in harmattan or maybe they are easier to reverse engineered in harmattan versions) than to running Harmattan apps on Neo900

Yes, the question was in relation to potentially using Harmattan pulseaudio-nokia blobs for the Neo900 work. Those blobs only depend on libc/GCC libraries (they aren't C++ though so they dont need libstdc++ etc) and on PulseAudio (any ABI issues there would be solved with wrappers). Hence my questions about whether, other than PulseAudio, there are any incompatibilities that might get in the way.

The Following User Says Thank You to jonwil For This Useful Post:
According to comparison page I linked in #832:

1. libpulse-mainloop-glib.so.0 is at 0.0.4 in both Maemo and Harmattan, but these are still incompatible... Should be further analysed as we don't have the detailed results now

2. libpulse-simple.so.0 was upgraded from 0.0.2 to 0.0.3, but is compatible

3. libpulse.so.0 was upgraded from 0.8.0 to 0.12.0 and is incompatible (I guess any analysis of 0.8.0 vs 0.12.0 compatibility should give a list of errors)

4. libpulsecommon-0.9.15.so was upgraded to libpulsecommon-0.9.19.so and was not covered by this analysis - should be examined

5. libpulsecore-0.9.15.so was upgraded to libpulsecore-0.9.19.so and was not covered by this analysis - should be examined

I guess (but it is still only my opinion, despite being based on forementioned facts) that the pulseaudio versions from Maemo and Harmattan are generally not ABI-compatible...

edit: by the way, the analysis can be re-run by one of us from the community I think... http://ispras.linuxbase.org/index.ph...liance_checker - have you seen (I guess you have even more powerfull tools considering that you have already reverse engineered e.g. MCE and some other interesting stuffs including some modem parts etc.)?

Last edited by misiak; 2014-10-13 at 00:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
IIRC some of the Harmattan binaries failed to run because they required a symbol from libc6 2.10.

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Just wanted to let you know guys that I contacted Alexey Khoroshilov from ispras.ru (who seems to be responsible for at least this part of linuxtesting.org) and he brought back the link I posted in #832 and reported in #836 as not anymore online. The link is http://linuxtesting.org/compatibilit...at_report.html by the way

Edit: I moved most of this post to http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=1446244 as maybe it could be usable for a wider audience.

Last edited by misiak; 2014-11-07 at 13:21. Reason: moved big part of post to a separate thread

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Istanbul TURKEY
Hello everyone
i installed meecolay and alchemist for testing, both as root and as user, but it always says:
meecolay /opt/alchemist/bin/alchemist
/usr/bin/meecolay: exec: line 11: /opt/alchemist/bin/alchemist: not found
~ $
what should i do.?

Posts: 102 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Istanbul TURKEY
No help..?

Tags
compatibility, harmattan, meecolay, meego, mee_env