Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Update (2013-06-18): The questionnaire thread is up.

The Hildon Foundation Board of Directors election will, hopefully, be coming up in a few weeks. Full disclosure: I've nominated myself to be a candidate in those elections.

I'd like to compile a list of questions that we'd be interesting in seeing potential candidates answer.

Candidates should not answer these questions in this thread.

I'd like to see a list of questions compiled before we get any answers. Candidates can answer after the nomination period is over.

Here's what I've come up with so far:
  1. Where do you see maemo.org in 1 year? In 5 years?
  2. What do see you as the primary role for the Hildon Foundation Board of Directors?
  3. How do you envision the relationship between the Hildon Foundation Board of Directors and the Hildon Foundation Council/Maemo Community Council?
  4. Are you able to attend board meetings at least monthly?

Originally Posted by reinob View Post
Do you own a Maemo device? do you (regularly) use a Maemo device? Are you at all interested in Maemo and its community?
Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
What kind of collaboration do you expect to see from Nokia, to ensure survival of the most important assets?

Last edited by GeneralAntilles; 2013-06-18 at 22:38.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
[2013-06-04 02:15:04] <DocScrutinizer05> I'd probably rather ask "do you understand that the primary role of HiFo is to be community's *treasurer* and *accountant*? And that there's NO great _mission_ that HiFo should follow?"

...since HiFo doesn't even have the means nor the legitimation to follow such mission. If any great mission ever comes to existance, it will be born in the middle of maemo community, not in the heads of BoD during their dreams of changing the world. HiFo DOES NOT oversee and rule the community, it's community to oversee and rule HiFo, and it's community to decide any long term goal or project they want to pursue.
And now I notice I already slipped into Q#3 of above [relation MCC/HFC<->BoD]. Well that's easy to answer: MCC is community's proxy (and steward), BoD is community's treasurer. Defines it all, comprehensively. While HFC is the supervisory board of HiFo, which is why the both councils should (and will) get unified. Actually for 99.9% of us they never been two entities to start with.
OK, that's hardly a question now, it rather became a cover version of my application for past election

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-06-04 at 00:45.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
[2013-06-04 02:15:04] <DocScrutinizer05> I'd probably rather ask "do you understand that the primary role of HiFo is to be community's *treasurer* and *accountant*? And that there's NO great _mission_ that HiFo should follow?"
Now there's a question with an agenda. :P Let them answer question #2, and judge whether their opinion is compatible with yours based on that answer.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
...since HiFo doesn't even have the means nor the legitimation to follow such mission. If any great mission ever comes to existance, it will be born in the middle of maemo community, not in the heads of BoD during their dreams of changing the world. HiFo DOES NOT oversee and rule the community, it's community to oversee and rule HiFo, and it's community to decide any long term goal or project they want to pursue.
And now I notice I already slipped into Q#3 of above [relation MCC/HFC<->BoD]. Well that's easy to answer: MCC is community's proxy (and steward), BoD is community's treasurer. Defines it all, comprehensively. While HFC is the supervisory board of HiFo, which is why the both councils should (and will) get unified. Actually for 99.9% of us they never been two entities to start with.
OK, that's hardly a question now, it rather became a cover version of my application for past election
A topic for another, let's stick to questions for board candidates.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
5. Do you own a Maemo device? do you (regularly) use a Maemo device? Are you at all interested in Maemo and its community?

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
5. Do you own a Maemo device? do you (regularly) use a Maemo device? Are you at all interested in Maemo and its community?
This is one I was considering, but had decided against because so many people have moved on to newer devices and platforms. Given recent history, though, it's probably more important than I'd like to believe.

The most important part, though, is the last bit.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
This is one I was considering, but had decided against because so many people have moved on to newer devices and platforms.
I may be a bit "fundamentalist" here, but in my book, we're still the Maemo community (even though it's now called "Hildon") so people who don't care for Maemo should not run for Council, or Foundation, or any other place.

Given recent history, though, it's probably more important than I'd like to believe.

The most important part, though, is the last bit.
Agreed. But again, for the last bit to be true I would expect at least knowledge and regular use of a Maemo device.

It's not like we need "independent" consultants or anything. We're just a bunch of people interested in Maemo and attempting to keep the infrastructure running.

Please no master plans, no abstractions. Just Maemo, thank you.

The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 222 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Finland
I'm a bit late to this to this party, but one question I'd like to see answered:

What kind of collaboration do you expect to see from Nokia, to ensure survival of the most important assets?

'QmlReddit' reads Reddit!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to vivainio For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vivainio View Post
Good question!

OK, I think I'll finalize the list later tonight or sometime tomorrow and post a new thread for candidates to respond in. If anyone has any more questions, now's the time to post them.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:

Tags
election, hilfo board, politics