Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Yep, there was the ZTE iBrowser a couple of years ago now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHSvYLQDdZ4

One of the nicer designs IMO,
tHIS IS NICE...

Originally Posted by MINKIN2 View Post
Yep, there was the ZTE iBrowser a couple of years ago now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHSvYLQDdZ4

One of the nicer designs IMO,

Simply Superb & Solid design for a Handheld Computer & Gaming Device...

mind if I add it in the first post... ?

Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
Simply Superb & Solid design for a Handheld Computer & Gaming Device...

mind if I add it in the first post... ?
Pop it in there mate, it's not mine to stop you

Good idea for a topic too, TMO is littered with random topics of alternative maemo devices so it would be good get them and others in one thread.

With exception for fact, that *none* of them is really powered by something similar to Maemo (if we don't count visual similarity...)

Quite pointless thread, as whole?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Yeah, they're not maemo. They're just rip offs. Like almost everything in China

As an actual N900 owner like many others... this makes me cringe. Hard.

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
I've always wondered why chinese always fail so badly when it comes to native product development of this kind. It's like they're missing an important gene or something.
There seem to be a lot of companies there, they have developers but it always ends up half*****ed somehow.
I wonder how these things are done there.

There are also strange things, like a mediaplayer from some unknown chinese company, sold by a reseller here in Sweden under a different name. Small and cheap as hell and it actually managed ISO's, NTFS mounting, 5.1 sound, all that. But the user interfaces was like some donkey had designed it and the menus were incredibly slow.
It's like they give up on the way somehow and say "ah, screw this, lets make a real cheap one and just patch up the rest of the stuff, I want to start with something else".

The Following User Says Thank You to Larswad For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
I read that that zte could run debs from diablo unmodified, so maybe it was a kind of maemo after all

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following User Says Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,048 | Thanked: 1,127 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Amsterdam
Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
I've always wondered why chinese always fail so badly when it comes to native product development of this kind. It's like they're missing an important gene or something.
There seem to be a lot of companies there, they have developers but it always ends up half*****ed somehow.
I wonder how these things are done there.

There are also strange things, like a mediaplayer from some unknown chinese company, sold by a reseller here in Sweden under a different name. Small and cheap as hell and it actually managed ISO's, NTFS mounting, 5.1 sound, all that. But the user interfaces was like some donkey had designed it and the menus were incredibly slow.
It's like they give up on the way somehow and say "ah, screw this, lets make a real cheap one and just patch up the rest of the stuff, I want to start with something else".
Word. Al though not Chinese, I always wondered about the Japanese company Konami, and their star title Pro Evolution Soccer. Really, really good game (if you enjoy football, that is), but it comes with horrific interfaces and translation. Not to mention they never managed to bring a visualization of the key bindings to the PC, the ones shown are all in some console setting. So you're on your own finding out how to play one of the most complex football simulators around.

It's bizar. Tiny company taking it up against the big guys (EA Sports), but failing miserably on details as user interaction...

All your base are belong to us.

Last edited by anthonie; 2012-03-25 at 09:37.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anthonie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,523 | Thanked: 1,997 times | Joined on Jul 2011 @ not your mom's FOSS basement
I dunno... while we Germans certainly over-engineer and have sometimes standards demanding stuff too much, the Chinese have nice ideas but the realization (and reliability) sucks badly. I speak from personal experiences with products of a certain partner company, and our own products.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to don_falcone For This Useful Post:

Tags
closed minded, danrantos, winding down