Notices

An issue on Sailfish OS: volume buttons zoom the Modrana window instead of changing the volume, even when it's not the active application.

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Any recent progress on mapnik?
I finally got to trying the Python Mapnik example, and it seems to be working! This is the resulting image from the example, rendered on my N900:

I have encountered a couple of issues I had to fix before I was able to make the image:

Mapnik requiring Property setter on Python 2.5

The Python 2.5 @property decorator does not have the setter yet. This can be faked around by overriding the Python 2.5 property with a newer one before importing the mapnik module:

Code:
wget https://raw.githubusercontent.com/M4rtinK/modrana/master/core/backports/__init__.py
mv __init__.py fake.py
python
>>>import fake
>>>import mapnik
Mapnik looking for libraries in the wrong path

Next I was getting errors when trying to create the shape data source. From StackOverflow I've found this is caused by incorrectly configured Mapnik lib path. In my case it was expecting /lib/mapnik but the files were in /usr/lib/mapnik and I've fixed this by creating a symlink:

Code:
# cd /lib
# ln -s /usr/lib/mapnik/ mapnik
After I did these two tweak I have been able to complete the example and render the world map image.

Also even though both can be worked around, it should be possible to fix both at packaging level to make workarounds unnecessary.

Offline map rendering in modRana WHEN ?

Even though this is certainly a step in the right direction for offline map rendering in modRana, it will still take some time. The example I've tried is very basic and there might still be some breakage in other more advanced parts of Mapnik I have not tried out yet.

And even more importantly I'll have to investigate what data source to use for usable offline map rendering. The example data source (a single shape file) and style are really simple, but for on the fly rendering on a high zoom level much more data and a much more complicated style will be needed. The data for offline map rendering also needs to be simple to obtain for modRana users. So quite a lot of interesting "challenges" all around.

In short, this is moving in the right direction but will need some time.

PS.: Thanks a lot to marmistrz yet again for the Mapnik port!

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nokiabot View Post
yes mieru is fast and cute
is there possiblity of using hw accleration on modrana ?
as using modrana more and more i.e becoming the go to app for navi the interface is feeling more and more cluncky i rather give it a -10 out of 10 considering the fluidity of your other apps . the concept is good but feels like a jet engine fitted to a bullock cart
maybe a release focusing solely on speed and ui is needed.
anybody thinking same ?
Where are you suing it - on the N900 or on the Jolla ? and if you are on the N900, are you using the classic (GTK) interface or the QML one ?

Also, what do you mean by getting more clunky - do you mean it is getting slower if you are running it for extended periods of time ?

Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
An issue on Sailfish OS: volume buttons zoom the Modrana window instead of changing the volume, even when it's not the active application.
You are right! :P I was pretty sure I disabled volume key usage when the modRana window looses focus but looks like I forgot to do it. Should be easy to fix though.

BTW, do you plan to use modRana to show geographic search results with your Saera port on Sailfish OS like back then with Saera on the N900?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
suing no no
on n900 it gets slow ofen mainly when left in background
one improvment i have found is no tile download failures as of late .
navigating menus is cubersome with up down arrows making them scrollable would be useful
slider or double tap for fast zooming in out
there should be a tile for map switching as its cubersome diving deep in the menu for it
clicking on maps is not possible so most info from osm is not usable as in marble i can click anywhere and select adreess info same for google maps i.e bus stops and such names are not shown only icon
ui style is nice but looks awful not complaining :d i am making a few icons in png if that helps
anyway i think as mapink is progressing these issues can be dealt later on

The Following User Says Thank You to nokiabot For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MartinK View Post
You are right! :P I was pretty sure I disabled volume key usage when the modRana window looses focus but looks like I forgot to do it. Should be easy to fix though.

BTW, do you plan to use modRana to show geographic search results with your Saera port on Sailfish OS like back then with Saera on the N900?
I would like to, yes. How can I communicate with modRana on SailfishOS?

The Following User Says Thank You to taixzo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by taixzo View Post
I would like to, yes. How can I communicate with modRana on SailfishOS?
CLI argument passing is kinda borked at the moment as sailfish-qml, the "official" Sailfish OS QML application launcher does not forward command line arguments. So maybe chip-in that this missing functionality would be useful for Saera ?

Alternatively some other way could be used until this is fixed, such as environmental variables or DBUS.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
CLI argument passing is kinda borked at the moment as sailfish-qml, the "official" Sailfish OS QML application launcher does not forward command line arguments. So maybe chip-in that this missing functionality would be useful for Saera ?
That's weird, I am pretty sure (I don't have Jolla right now to test it) LL's videoPlayer can take filename as an argument and the source code suggests you can pass different arguments, not just the filename:
https://github.com/llelectronics/vid...ideoPlayer.cpp

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
That's weird, I am pretty sure (I don't have Jolla right now to test it) LL's videoPlayer can take filename as an argument and the source code suggests you can pass different arguments, not just the filename:
https://github.com/llelectronics/vid...ideoPlayer.cpp
Sure, that's possible if you use your own C++ "launcher" but I'm using the sailfish-qml utility to do the lunching and it does not forward command line arguments (unlike qmlscene, which does forward command line arguments).

I could use a custom C++ launcher, but that would mean another language in the mix (on top of Python and QML) and another platform specific thing to maintain, so I would like to avoid that if possible.

Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Sure, that's possible if you use your own C++ "launcher" but I'm using the sailfish-qml utility to do the lunching and it does not forward command line arguments (unlike qmlscene, which does forward command line arguments).

I could use a custom C++ launcher, but that would mean another language in the mix (on top of Python and QML) and another platform specific thing to maintain, so I would like to avoid that if possible.
I see, I didn't know about sailfish-qml. I have used qmlscene-qt5 on desktop before, but I assumed that Sailfish allowed only C++ launchers in harbour.

Is there any difference in performance? Some of my apps are pure QML (or QML+pyotherside), so I'd consider switching if it means better startup times.

The Following User Says Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
I see, I didn't know about sailfish-qml. I have used qmlscene-qt5 on desktop before, but I assumed that Sailfish allowed only C++ launchers in harbour.

Is there any difference in performance? Some of my apps are pure QML (or QML+pyotherside), so I'd consider switching if it means better startup times.
I think there shoudn't be much of a difference in startup speed between a custom C++ launcher that uses libsailfishapp and using the sailfish-qml launcher. BTW, this should be the source code of the launcher:

https://github.com/sailfish-sdk/libs...r/launcher.cpp

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, martin_rocks, modrana, navigation, openstreetmap, the best, wehasgps