Posts: 291 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Manchester, UK
^ thanks again, that will be handy at night.

RIP: Nokia N900 - ARM Cortex A8 @ 1150mhz - 32GB + 8GB - Maemo 5 PR1.2 + Android 2.2

[22:52] <DJ_Steve> its like ive released somethign useful or something

Originally Posted by Nipperoid View Post
Has fennec been ported to it like on the N900?
Slow, particularly with multiple tabs. I don't use it. I use MicroB and Opera Mobile (although this can slow down something nasty too if you have too many tabs). And I use mobile sites when I can (see the "Useful URLs" wiki page in my sig).

Oh and hows the browser performance for flash and the likes?
Slow. I generally avoid this.

The bottom line is that I've used my N810 daily for the past three+ years. But I've carved out a specific niche of what I do with it, and that includes:
  • Accessing mobile websites or non-mobile websites if they are simple
  • Podcasts (gPodder + Panucci)
  • MaemoMapper
  • MP3s (MediaBox, Quasar)
  • Remote Desktop
  • AbiWord & Gnumeric (although you do have Easy Debian for OO.org as well)
  • Taking notes with Maemopad+
  • DialCentral for Google Voice (mostly text messages)
  • Evince for small PDFs. Too many pages & too many graphics and it's too slow for me.
  • Lots of little games for the spare minutes here and there, like AisleRiot Solitaire, Tomiku (Sudoku), Sokoban, Anagramarama (anagram game), Mahjong

To see the available apps, go to Downloads on this site and press "OS2008", or go to:
http://maemo.org/downloads/OS2008/

Other tips:
  • There is no extras-testing repository.
  • No MeeGo and no graphics acceleration. Stskeeps gave up on that one, I think (I don't blame him).
  • There is a community SSU. The best feature is rotation support.
  • Telescope is a really neat app switcher.
  • Check out the Diablo Turbo thread.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
^ Thanks man, will check that out.

RIP: Nokia N900 - ARM Cortex A8 @ 1150mhz - 32GB + 8GB - Maemo 5 PR1.2 + Android 2.2

Also important -- there is limited space to install apps on your regular memory. If you really go app crazy, you will want to clone it to a bigger space. The N810 has 2GB of internal memory dedicated to a map program that is no longer supported, so that's a good one to sacrifice (but then you can't use it for Easy Debian as well). Or a removable memory card may work -- not sure.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to buurmas For This Useful Post:
You don't need to put easy debian on the internal, it's still good on a fast microSD card. (You need a miniSD adapter, they can be somewhat tricky.)

When I talked about the ebook reading properties, I forgot to say:
The n810 has WAY better idle time. Like, at least a week, probably several.

Although the browsers render web pages well on the N810, you don't want to open too many tabs. It'll hang.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Other pros and cons...

N810 has proper host mode (like the N8), N900 needs you to launch an app and enable it first, which is more of a faff.

Although N900 has better video capability and will play dvd quality video, I find that the upnp streaming from my media server (mythtv btw) sucks and after a minute it just buffers constantly, so any streaming needs to be converted down, which removes any advantage over the N810.

The N810 has windows file share discovery/browsing built in to the file manager, which is great for browsing and then copying files across. To be fair it does not like password protection. N900 does not have this and needs something like wizard mounter or similar.

The default media player on the N810 sucks - It's slow, and does not support albumart at all - alternatives are Canola, Quasar, and Mediabox

Yes the N810 is slower, but run it in performance mode, and avoid running too many apps together and flash.javascript heavy sites, and it's not far behind a stock N900 most of the time. My N900 gets bogged down as well from time to time.

N810s are seriously cheap on ebay etc for what they offer. Drop a 16gb or 32gb microsd card in, and it rocks.

If you don't need a physical keyboard, GPS, and will not be using it outside, then consider an N800 due to the 2 full size SDHC slots - you can then chuck 64GB in there.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Also one more thing, does the N810 have any design flaws like the N900's usb port?

Hows the reliability?

Thanks

Also one more thing, does the N810 have any design flaws like the N900's usb port?
No dpad on front like n800, have to open keyboard to get to it.

No space above the keyboard making the top row of keys harder to press.

GPS has never locked for me unless on wifi with a-gps.

Hows the reliability?
I've used mine every day since it was released in late 2007. Replaced the battery a year ago.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England

Hows the reliability?

Thanks
Not really. in many ways the N900 was a retrograde step. I think the N810 is better hardware designwise actually.

the ports (3.5mm phone, 2mm charge, miccrosb) are all along the righthand edge and are all really robust. stand is much much better than the rubbish one on the N900 which is really a joke.
Microusb feels better to me than the N900 but that may be mindgames on my part, being over cautious.

the top edge has the fullscreen, volume, power, and lock controls. all of which are chromed and have a good feel. there is a task switcher key and a back key the left of the screen and a led on the top left corner of the screen whivh is much larger than the N900s..

yes the dpad is hidden, but it hasn't been a pain for me,
GPS is reliable. can struggle to get a lock unless it has a clear view of the sky. NTPD and AGPS help enormously.

the consruction is all metal, and i have dropped mine a couple of times and it just bounced. Only tricky thing is the battery cover latches are a bit fiddley..

the battery is a BP4-L regarded as one of nokias best and is very common and popular= so a replacement if needed wil be easily available. battery life on mine is stellar compared with my 900 but the 900 is always on 3G.

the biggest issue with the N810 is the fact that although it is still a capable machine, very little is still being developed for it. and some stuff like the twitter client now no longer works as the authentication has changed. the satnav app, although very good, has had no map updates for 2 or 3 years and the supplier has closed down.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the help guys.