Notices

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
What about a possible asking for confirmation when moving to device and a visual progress bar for the used swap?
I looked into a progress bar, it's a bit out of the question really as there is no way of hooking into the swapon progress. I originally thought of a QProcessbar to indicate swapping active. I decided that the standard maemo busy menu bar indication was better, as you could leave the application minimized.

I will look into confirmation on device swap, I maybe able to do that with a standard maemo dialog message.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
not bad, not bad at all ¦-)))

ok, i have a 64GB µSD card & beside a couple ext2 partitions (as "backup" locations for system files, obviously) i added an extended partition with two Linux swap partition and see there... Flopswap found them!
good job.

this being said, while i am running my shell scripts to change the the swap partitions i also always run free and... used swap hardly ever exceeds 128MB
am i using my beloved N900 (still my primary phone, though i use Jolla device for an Android app that i depend upon) so lightly?
maybe i don't use the N900 quite as much as i used to, except for texting, IM.ing and calls (also VoIP).
just installed Flopswap thus will see how often it advices me to refresh my swap but i wonder...

on another, slightly related topic... Neo900 will have 1GB of working memory; will this not be like on PCs with 16GBs where swap is hardly ever used?

ouups, slight problem...

on one hand printscreen of Flopswap...

on the other hand...
Code:
Nokia-N900:~# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        235252       231864         3388            0        16144
-/+ buffers:             215720        19532
Swap:       999952        57460       942492
Nokia-N900:~# echo 3 >/proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
Nokia-N900:~# free
             total         used         free       shared      buffers
Mem:        235252       202284        32968            0           68
-/+ buffers:             202216        33036
Swap:       999952        59112       940840
Nokia-N900:~# 
maybe a little optimistic?
59112 / 999952 * 100 = 6%
the 5MB would be a closer match... for the % (5.91)

Edit: okay, just noticed that the apps displays the used fragments of the swap partition, indeed, thus not memory use; after opening MicroB, mail, some Skype IM the numbers increase dramatically (obviously)
still, think the app is a little on the low side of the actual number...
Attached Images

Last edited by misterc; 2014-11-10 at 02:02.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by sixwheeledbeast View Post
I looked into a progress bar, it's a bit out of the question really as there is no way of hooking into the swapon progress. I originally thought of a QProcessbar to indicate swapping active. I decided that the standard maemo busy menu bar indication was better, as you could leave the application minimized.

I will look into confirmation on device swap, I maybe able to do that with a standard maemo dialog message.
I meant visualizing the *used* swap already displayed

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
on another, slightly related topic... Neo900 will have 1GB of working memory; will this not be like on PCs with 16GBs where swap is hardly ever used?
16 GB? I never used swap on my PC with 1 GB of RAM. It was running Debian Wheezy, FreeOffice and some DVD authoring SW just fine.

Posts: 804 | Thanked: 1,598 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gdynia, Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
16 GB? I never used swap on my PC with 1 GB of RAM. It was running Debian Wheezy, FreeOffice and some DVD authoring SW just fine.
We now have 1GB RAM+swap together, so in theory having 1GB RAM makes the whole need for swap obsolete (so maybe Fremantle on Neo900 will be configured swapless at all by default?) unless someone really needs more memory (which can be done then manually by that person), am I right?

The Following User Says Thank You to misiak For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
still, think the app is a little on the low side of the actual number...
Well if you scroll back a few pages this was bought up, the calculations in flopswap have always been the same. I believe they are correct, but feel free to double check them.

Still remember that 'free' will never equal flopswap values, as I think you understand this is calculating fresh unfragmented swap not used swap or free swap.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

Originally Posted by misiak View Post
We now have 1GB RAM+swap together, so in theory having 1GB RAM makes the whole need for swap obsolete (so maybe Fremantle on Neo900 will be configured swapless at all by default?) unless someone really needs more memory (which can be done then manually by that person), am I right?
Also bear in mind FreEmantle may well be thumb compiled too. I feel we will still need swap, however, I think swapiness setting should be completely different.

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber

The Following User Says Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
Regarding the latest interface, I think the two frames in the middle may lead a new user to believe that the data is refreshed automatically or periodically. Without them, she was "forced" to press the buttons.

Suggest putting "There must be..." text at the top in the Quick Guide, because it is critical information; the rest is redundant if the "must" condition is not met.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to chill For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,378 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Göteborg, Sweden
I have been meaning to comment in the same vane, so thanks chill. There is redundancy now... interface issue of course, not function.

The Following User Says Thank You to handaxe For This Useful Post: