wow people are quick to pull the trigger, i think its a pretty damn good idea for now, can't you guys wait a bit longer, usually beta to actual milestones change a lot, i understand its frustrating and that unless jolla will flash my device back to normal if i kill the bootloader i wouldnt do it either.

think people should stop overreacting.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
First people whine because Jolla doesn't communicate. Then Jolla communicates clearly and on a detailed technical level, even during Christmas holidays, and people are too busy whining to even realize it...

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
I realize that Jolla, while NOT providing any other way to recover from catastrophic failure in device firmware than just sending in the device to Jolla for getting it reflashed on my own expense, dares to roll out *very* delicate and risky updates to crucial parts of said system (here: bootloader) during xmas without any prior notice, and then says this update deployed a bug they didn't intend to get rolled out. While the rationale to get that update at all and particularly ASAP during holidays is what exactly? Getting a makeshift fix to a perceived security threat that nobody except Jolla actually can see it getting fixed by the approach taken by Jolla? While the threat itself is pretty much hypothetical since it only kicks in when somebody gets his device stolen during christmas.
Don't you too start to wonder what's the real motivation behind all that? Again, I have a hard time to apply Hanlon's razor here.

/j

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2013-12-28 at 14:24.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
It was already mentioned by somebody that this might be a requirement by some operators to sell Jollas. And it might be a requirement for Exchange provisioning as well.

Nokia never cared about business usability of their experimental phones N900 or N9, but Jolla appears to care.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pycage For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
First people whine because Jolla doesn't communicate. Then Jolla communicates clearly and on a detailed technical level, even during Christmas holidays, and people are too busy whining to even realize it...
No, reread again. What has happened is that there was great communication, then, during Christmas, they partially reverse direction and do a move that can only be qualified of "surprising".

This is exactly what used to go on with Nokia. They'd fix a "security issue" (in this case Jolla calls it a "user privacy issue" -- but for me at least it still sounds the same as it's not "my privacy" they're fixing*), then argue with me that this is only temporary and that an open mode is coming. We all know how much later open mode did come and how crippled it was: I had problems convincing people to use it -- they preferred exploits!!

*that would be much better solved by allowing people to enable developer mode without pinging home at all or creating a account.

----

The problem is putting this "user privacy" so up in the priority list it stands in the faces of tinkerers. "Solving user privacy" by just locking the boot loader does not serve any visible purpose other than annoying tinkerers, specially when this is done before encryption is implemented (thereby it is useless for "government" guys), or the method to unlock it is developed (thereby annoying tinkerers). This should have either been delayed until the other pieces were in place, or at least explained with much consideration.

Is it hard to understand that I thought that with this device things (communication, openness, etc.) would be better than in N9 ages?

Yes, I still think that this device will end up being better (mainly because great people like Stskeeps are onboard), but it also seems that without some constant reminding things quickly go downhill.

The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by pycage View Post
It was already mentioned by somebody that this might be a requirement by some operators to sell Jollas. And it might be a requirement for Exchange provisioning as well.

Nokia never cared about business usability of their experimental phones N900 or N9, but Jolla appears to care.
Nokia never care? Then I suppose Aegis was just purely for evil.

And the fact that Sailfish has things like "No DRM" on their FAQ are outright lies because they will bend over the moment a carrier asks for a DRM protected 30-second ringtone.

And here I though it was Jolla's benefit that they wouldn't be forced to following all the enterprisey requirements that as a Nokia-sized behemoth they were forced to follow... was I wrong?

Last edited by javispedro; 2013-12-28 at 14:46.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Communication isn't the same, it's been VASTLY better*, I don't even know how anyone here can try to argue otherwise...
Has there been cock-ups? Most definitely. Has communication reverted to the "bad old Maemo 4-6x days?" Not even close. Could it get better? Most definitely.

*here's just one recent example amongst multitudes
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...04#post1401504

Last edited by jalyst; 2013-12-28 at 14:52.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Can someone from Jolla please clarify whether the full device reset reflashes reinstalls, refreshes, whatever terminology the bootloader, can the bootloader be filled with 00000s and the device can still be recoverable?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 113 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Germany
Originally Posted by m4r0v3r View Post
can the bootloader be filled with 00000s and the device can still be recoverable?
I highly doubt that .

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to djselbeck For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Communication isn't the same, it's been VASTLY better*, I don't even know how anyone here can try to argue otherwise...
I am indeed pleased to see they care and elaborate on the problems/issues they had and tradeoffs they took, without all the usual weasel words and marketing blabla. The one thing to improve would be to communicate more in advance, certainly in this case. We've seen people throwing fits, but after it was explained why Jolla did the things they did the mood cleared considerably. With this update, it seems like a repeat, only now we are much dependent on Jolla.

Also, even if these issues don't affect me directly, I do feel the need to be vocal about them. If I let them pass as "I don't care", at some point things will get worse, because companies think nobody cares. And then we end up with an Apple-ified device, which is in my view the total surrendering of customers to the company. So, by being vocal now, I hope to protect my future interests, before it is too late. (see what I did there? I communicated in advance! )

Speaking of apple... Aren't those newers iphones fully encrypted?...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post: