Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
meego adaptation for N900 is a great idea ,though maemo wouldnt be lagging behind as it is core of N900 and many people are concerned about it.i too believe that we have not got stuck in the past ,we are going ahead day by day ( nitdroid port ,cssu ,portrait mode adaptation etc ) .And we have to be very certain about everything we have about meego before N900 adapts to meego cuz maemo is already very set and stable here .

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Why trash Hildon? The UI concepts are still miles ahead of anything else we see everywhere else.

At this point in time, the community should have one, single, focused effort to make the "old" system "new" again. That means getting MeeGo CE to be a good core OS to start work upon (moving from RPM to DEB, polishing the open Hildon Desktop code and moving to GTK3, making it easier to make new mainline+patches kernels work on the N900, writing open versions of closed source applications to complete the experience, using GNU Coreutils instead of busybox, making a theme as professional and polished as Alpha, etc.)

Last edited by Hurrian; 2011-08-12 at 10:03.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Since there is no open hardware standard in this space (just yet?), and that hardware seem to be our common denominator for being here in the first place, then I have to ask the obvious question: what is our likely target platform in the future?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
Since there is no open hardware standard in this space (just yet?), and that hardware seem to be our common denominator for being here in the first place, then I have to ask the obvious question: what is our likely target platform in the future?
In short term that may be cordiatab.

Or any tablet/phone that becomes open enough.

Posts: 60 | Thanked: 198 times | Joined on Aug 2011 @ Radical Realistic Open Source with JFDI instead of Bikeshedding
Originally Posted by Hurrian View Post
Why trash Hildon? The UI concepts are still miles ahead of anything else we see everywhere else.

At this point in time, the community should have one, single, focused effort to make the "old" system "new" again. That means getting MeeGo CE to be a good core OS to start work upon (moving from RPM to DEB, polishing the open Hildon Desktop code and moving to GTK3, making it easier to make new mainline+patches kernels work on the N900, writing open versions of closed source applications to complete the experience, using GNU Coreutils instead of busybox, making a theme as professional and polished as Alpha, etc.)
I would suggest to make the GTK+3 switch already. Kernel stuff is taken care of already. MeeGo uses coreutils.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
The N8x0s are never going to be MeeGo compliant for a variety of reasons (CPU architecture, GLES, amount of RAM available). IMHO if you are giving up MeeGo compatibility then it's the wrong upstream to base your work on as it's too encumbered by politically/commercially motivated policies that make no sense outside that context ("Borrowing" bits of code/packaging here and there is a different thing of course.)

I've just read the Meego 1.1 Compliance Specification.
Chapter 1.4.1:

CPU architectures are approved by the MeeGo Technical Steering Group and may change over time. As
of this version of the specification, supported architectures are:
  • Intel® AtomTM (Core2TM/Atom instruction set (SSSE3)), represented as RPM architecture i586
  • ARM v7‐A (ARM EABI, VFPv3 support, softfp float ABI), represented as RPM architecture armv7l

This basically means we can not use their infrastructure for building of packages, we have to rebuild everything by ourselves.

I've failed to find memory requirements.
OpenGL is stated as a must.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to momcilo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
The fact is that the real situation is that Meego in the N900 is useless (even behind Nitdroid). And there are almost no applications for Meego that can be run in the N900.

On the other side, Maemo is working fine. CSSU brings a lot of improvements to the UX (Hildon is better than never) and basic packages, Cordia project can share also some improvements to the UX, Kernel power is progressing nicely and there are thousands of applications for Maemo ready to use. You can even use closed source applications from OVI or WebOS games.

So there is no point in moving from Maemo 5 to Meego from a N900 user's perspective. Maybe in the future, but at this pace, most of N900 devices will be broken when Meego could be ready to be used.

I'd simply prefer to base efforts on what we have working right now.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Unless we merge with debian armel port there will be no future
for all this maemo related projects. The base system should be plain debian.
Debian also includes parts of the hildon desktop:

dates-hildon - a calendar optimised for embedded devices - Hildon flavour
dates - a calendar optimised for embedded devices
hildon-desktop-dbg - Debug symbols for Hildon Desktop
hildon-desktop-dev - Development files for the Hildon Desktop
hildon-desktop - Desktop environment for embedded devices
libhildondesktop-dev - Hildon Desktop library development files
libhildondesktop0-doc - Documentation for Hildon Desktop library
libhildondesktop0 - Hildon Desktop shared library
libhildonwm-dev - Hildon window manager development files
libhildonwm0 - Hildon window manager shared library
hildon-icons - Default Hildon icon theme for maemo's SDK
hildon-theme-layout-4 - A layout file for making themes for the maemo 4 platform
hildon-theme-plankton - Plankton Hildon theme
hildon-theme-tools - Tools for developing Hildon themes
hildon-thumbnail - Hildon thumbnail library related programs
libhildonthumbnail-dev - Hildon thumbnail library - development files
libhildonthumbnail0-dbg - Hildon thumbnail library - debug symbols
libhildonthumbnail0 - Hildon thumbnail library - runtime files
libhildon-1-0-dbg - Hildon libraries - detached debug symbols
libhildon-1-0 - Hildon libraries - shared libraries
libhildon-1-dev - Hildon libraries - development files
libhildon-1-doc - Hildon libraries - API documentation
libhildonhelp-dev - Hildon Help library -- development files
libhildonhelp0-dbg - Hildon Help library -- debug symbols
libhildonhelp0 - Hildon Help library -- runtime library
hildon-update-category-database - Hildon desktop MIME type hander - mapping tool
libhildonmime-dev - Hildon desktop MIME type hander - development files
libhildonmime0-dbg - Hildon desktop MIME type hander - debugging symbols
libhildonmime0 - Hildon desktop MIME type hander - runtime library
osso-af-settings - pkg-config based registry for maemo directories
tasks-hildon - a simple to do manager - Hildon flavour
tasks - a simple to do manager

The hildon closed source bits have to be substituted with alternative
open source packages.
This would allow the volunteers of the maemo community to manage only
the missing hildon packages (that could be pushed upstream later)), some
adaptations on the debian base system for the N900, and the community developed kernel (that already exists).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to farmatito For This Useful Post:
I agree with lma (as most of the times, I admit). Sorry misterc - i preffer "chippng about technical details" than useless trash-talk about "ideals" without baclground of technical knowledge, to even know what is do-able. People like lma are - unlike most of us, including me - coding/doing all related stuff for real, instead of just chit-chatting. They answer with meritocratic-based arguments, real things that we have now, and what is do-able (or at least what we need to get, if we want it to be doable). Without such technical details, we would never get out from twitting hapilly to doing stuff.

So, I think attacking them (people, not technical details... But those also ) - even not directly - is *very*bad idea, not to mention that it's just plain rude.

---

As for idea themselves - I second opinion that using great (and proved most effective) Hildon UI on modern Meego OS is way to go. Sorry folks, Meego community edition UI is jut a template, and basing any real coding/porting on it is PITA. I'm not attacking concept of that UI - it's just mean as template/tech demo, not Your everyday UI.
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by ivgalvez View Post
The fact is that the real situation is that Meego in the N900 is useless (even behind Nitdroid). And there are almost no applications for Meego that can be run in the N900
I wouldn't call it useless but yeah the UX layer needs work and luckily there's several working (YMMV) alternatives already available.

So there is no point in moving from Maemo 5 to Meego from a N900 user's perspective. Maybe in the future, but at this pace, most of N900 devices will be broken when Meego could be ready to be used.
True. But are you saying new development is bad? The aim is to be future proof and the effort is not just about the n900. I know MeeGo on N900 isn't end user ready but that is where the development effort should IMO go. Feel free to disagree

I'd simply prefer to base efforts on what we have working right now.
I'd rather base on something that is actually being developed, maintained, is more open and has a future also outside of the n900 sandbox.

Edit: For the N900 end users there's the CSSU effort going on that already takes the Maemo OS forward.

Last edited by timoph; 2011-08-12 at 13:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post: