Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Or maybe let officer positions be filled by people other than board members??
Head of Council fills up the vacancy and so on? Since Council's term is shorter a new Council can be up in that case?

Or the Council nominates the candidate to fill up the position?

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Or maybe let officer positions be filled by people other than board members??
Hm, the secretary maybe, but having an appointed chair or treasurer who isn't even on the board seems kinda dodgy.

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
IIRC, using not-elected, outside board director as treasurer, was favorite option for current Councilors. They had idea of hijacking Coding Competition's authority, by asking their treasurer to gather dotations for Hildon Foundation.

Of course, things might have changed.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
it seems, that Council is not going to ask for Community approval of bylaws (via referendum).
There was never a set plan to do a referendum on the bylaws. A referendum, by requirements set for community referendums, would take over a month. To do so we would either have needed them finished a month ago OR delay the Board forming for a month after they are finalized. We figured having another month of input and revisions was better than voting on the still semi-draft version we had a month plus ago, which had little community input.

IIRC, using not-elected, outside board director as treasurer, was favorite option for current Councilors.
Many NFP corporations hire (or accept donated time from) CPAs to do their books. I don't recall anyone explicitly mentioning it on Council thought, and as worded the current bylaws do not allow that. In fact, as I recall, you were long gone before bylaws were even drafted, yet alone discussed in any detail. So how exactly do you "know" Council's thoughts on this?

They had idea of hijacking Coding Competition's authority, by asking their treasurer to gather dotations for Hildon Foundation.
That's a flat out lie... As is pretty much everything you've said in this thread.

Council mentioned the idea of looking at Mer's donation policy verbiage to use as a template for our own once in a Council meeting, but outside that nothing has been said about finances. To my knowledge the Council has asked nothing from the CC group except for the final tally of device winners to get things moving on shipping from Nokia.

So, where's your proof of this "great conspiracy"?

Oh, and before you say "See how Council treats me", to be clear, this is ME speaking, not the Council:

Spread your lies elsewhere. There is important work to finish up here, and your imagined conspiracies about Council trying to "steal" as yet non-existent funds or resources is not needed or desired here. All the Council that were using trickery and lies to "steal" things from the community resigned and left with their ill-gotten gains months ago.

Edit:
P.S. All this from the man shilling for donations in the signature of every post for a project that's yet to yield a single thing for anyone who's donated or ordered. "Ye shall know them by their fruits" indeed.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-10-12 at 20:26.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
Does this mean that if a council fails to start its own election on time, a re-election of the board is forced as well?
Yes and no. The Board could simply not call for the vote until it's term is up. Inversely, the Council (with unanimous voice) could force an election of the Board as well.

Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
I would be weary of making it possible, even if it's extremely unlikely, for the bylaws to get amended in such a way that over time, the community looses its ability to keep the board and council accountable to them
While I get that, understand that the powers given to the Council and the community over this Board is by far more than what most community have in similar situations. In some cases there are limits to how much control is allowed by law.

The required majority, and frankly, the expected life of this entity (which I'd put at a decade, tops, without a major overhaul) should preclude that from happening. Right now, I think this is a good balance. It gives the Board enough wiggle room to stay out of it's own way.

Originally Posted by lma View Post
Could you elaborate on the intent behind this? At first sight it looks like a loophole for inserting unelected directors via the back door, but perhaps I'm misreading it.
This is primarily for replacing people that die or become incapacitated in office. Keep in mind, the only time this comes into play is when someone voluntarily steps down or simply vanishes (stops attending meetings or getting approval pre-meeting to be absent). Allowing this prevents us from having an entirely vacant board.

Imagine the situation we had not long ago on Council. We elected members, and one by one they stopped being there until only one was left. What it that happened to the Board? What if that single person got hit by a bus? Allowing replacement (preferably from the list of candidates from the last election cycle) avoids that.

I think it's a complex issue with many different cases to consider, and at some point there has to be a fallback of "new election for the vacant position(s)".
There is. Under section IV under Board of Directors:

If at any point more than one Director is expelled during a single term, or fewer than three (3) Director positions are occupied (not vacant or expulsed), a new election cycle shall be required to be announced and will commence immediately upon the triggering vacancy or expulsion.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Hm, the secretary maybe, but having an appointed chair or treasurer who isn't even on the board seems kinda dodgy.
Actually, it's quite common to have a treasurer as a hired position. Do you think someone on the Board of PBS or Exxon has the wherewithal to do the books for a whole company? Even if they did, they'd spend so much time on that they wouldn't be able to do other duties. In those cases the Board position is often more symbolic, as they become the messenger of the person or people actually doing the books. But all in all, it is not that uncommon to have an external treasurer.

Now a Chair? Maybe not. But a created PR position? Or a something of that nature? It could make sense for some of them. As it stands right now, none of the positions can be held by anyone but a Director. Should we change that?

Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
[...]

Spread your lies elsewhere. There is important work to finish up here, and your imagined conspiracies about Council trying to "steal" as yet non-existent funds or resources is not needed or desired here. All the Council that were using trickery and lies to "steal" things from the community resigned and left with their ill-gotten gains months ago.

[...]
Woody,

you know the rule...
don't feed the troll...
he all too easily "forgets" that he was posted out of Council because he greedily abused his position in the Council to get a device the Community felt he didn't deserve.
after that, he went on posting for weeks "as head of council" acting like he "owned" the community and was in his perfect right to do whatever he pleased...
Stalin didn't do it much differently, did he?

again, don't feed the troll...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Woody,

Council election September 2012 still shows that the election ended today
alas i don't have rights to edit that page...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:

Tags
best wishes, council, whats going on?