Posts: 395 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
My third N900 is lost in the post ):

First N900: Still have it, screen is peeling and camera doesn't work (I took the module out one too many times I think. Either a problem with the contacts on the board, or the module is dead and I can't find them on ebay anymore ): )

Second N900: Current daily phone

Third N900: Brother had it for awhile, not being used. He had it sent to me a few months ago but they sent it to an address that doesn't exist, don't know the tracking number or when they sent it. So post can't find it for me ):
  • Translink Brisbane script (time to bus/train)
  • Commbank client (check balance)
  • Uber (basic client, request ride, etc)

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to azkay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Australia
Originally Posted by azkay View Post
My third N900 is lost in the post ):

First N900: Still have it, screen ................ tracking number or when they sent it. So post can't find it for me ):
That's no good. No return address on it, I suppose. Don't lose hope on it being found. Thanks for you work on 'Translink Schedule'.

I'm a complete novice, just started to get a taste of using back-end commands.

I got my first n900 last year, complete with box & accessories. The first smartphone... I think I've ever touched. My Mum brought home a new Android about a month later, although faster, it's fairly compromised and no where near the league of the n900.
I got a 2nd one with the keyboard backlit issue.
Just bought a 3rd one with OtterBox cover.

Overkill...... I know.... Will set them up as daily drivers for my brothers. Can't wait to have some spare time to fiddle & use them to their full potential.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mike727 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 70 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Australia
Originally Posted by mike727 View Post
Just bought a 3rd one with OtterBox cover.
Bah........ someone bought it from under me. Told the seller I should get to a bank on Wednesday while picking up my brother, Mum did it instead. Was planning to go tomorrow on the way to uni.

Who ever bought....... I forgive you..... Was it anyone here?

Edit: The guy who bought it posted it on eBay saying, he hasn't got time to use it. Was a "Buy it now", at the same price he bought it (I would've paid). I bought it with an unexpected coupon of 15% discount.

Last edited by mike727; 2016-09-01 at 05:38.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mike727 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 158 | Thanked: 340 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ middle of nowhere
Hello all,

So it's December, as we discussed, now we should have the mighty n900 week winter edition.

When shoould we begin the week?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ryu1 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
gotta be befote New Year's Day when AT&T scheduled to turn off 2g! At leasr if I'm gonna participate . . .

The Following User Says Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
gotta be befote New Year's Day when AT&T scheduled to turn off 2g! At leasr if I'm gonna participate . . .
Time to change providers, hmm?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I know about Jolla being 2G only in the US, but the N900 too? Really?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
The N900 itself is not to blame.
It is AT&T shutting down GSM services (pushing customer to use/buy 3G/4G phones).
http://www.rcrwireless.com/20160324/...n-1-2017-tag17

Btw: What about CDMA network?

--
I really wonder how many electronic scrap this produces?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
AT&T requires two bands simultaneously for 3G on their network, of which the N900 only supports one. T-Mo, OTOH works fine with 3G on the N900. They've also promised to keep supporting 2G (GSM) through 2020 -- at least for data. This keeps a bunch of burglar alarms, lowjack devices, bathroom scales, etc. from prematurely dying Next month (the cell-net of things?)

And the whole fiasco is partly my fault. I moved just before getting an N9 and I got new phone service at that time.

(This was a mandatory change -- while my previous carrier had nationwide roaming coverage, they only had physical "stores" -- mall kiosks, really -- in one state. And while I could pay my bill online, if anything went wrong with the process -- like my credit card co. issued me a new number or expiration date -- I had to get myself physically to a retail location with photo ID to fix it.)

So I went with an MVNO that had service available on both T-Mo and AT&T. If I'd been smart and looked a little harder in that crystal ball, I'd have tried to get a T-Mo SIM when I set up the account. But it didn't seem like that big a deal. If I put the SIM in the N900 it still worked at 2G speeds, and outside the house I rarely did anything but call, text and sometimes check email -- no problem, right?

As to changing providers (or at least trying to get another SIM issued with T-Mo service), that would be the best idea. But it's a PITA, and it's something that I can put off, so I've never done it.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Sounds to me they have made it delibrately really difficult to find out what's the most suitable/affordable plan and provider.
Smells like a cartel/collution to me!

Changing providers or data/voice plan is a breeze in Finland; for example when you switch to a different carrier you can keep your existing phone number if you want to.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post: