I wonder how well the interface on the X series will work.
I'm always curious about new user interfaces, but since this is a budget phone, I'm skeptical that Nokia put in the effort to make it really good.

My experience with Nokia designed interfaces is very mixed. I loved the maemo 5 and harmattan interfaces, thought the S60, Symbian^3/Belle and Windows Phone interfaces are ok, but hated the interface on budget Series 40 (non-touchscreen) phones and actually prefer Nokia series 30 devices from an interface point of view.
I haven't tried any Asha touch devices because of this (even-though they look very N9 like). Are they any good? Do you think the Nokia X interface will work well?

But to be fair, I think the interfaces on keyboard phones from other manufacturers are just as horrible (or worse).

My first reaction to the tiles is: rather ugly, icons like on the Asha phones and N9 would probably look better.

Posts: 308 | Thanked: 299 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Graveyard
Originally Posted by Martinhsl68hw View Post
Elop was a double trojan horse - to bring down Nokia and then Microsoft??
Apart from Nokia and MS, now that Elop has stepped in, I guess the future of Android is at stake as well

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ranbaxy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by thedead1440 View Post
He's now Xbox head after reportedly suggesting the Xbox division should be sold off... This guy is really a genius at convincing head honchos to hire him
My take on that is that the upper-ups obviously heard him when he presented his sell-down plan when he was manouvring for the CEO title. He didn't get the CEO title, but that doesn't mean they didn't agree on some points, and there may be will to sell out the gaming parts that frankly isn't core Microsoft business, even if it's profitable.

What's Elops business strategy, what is he good at? Convincing head honchos. Selling off large companies/divisions to other large companies. Not quite as good at building them. So, I don't think they would've promoted him to that specific role unless they want him to fascilitate a sale.

Either way, they have to deal with his ideas one way or the other because he leaked a platform memo published his plan as CEO. They have either told him to find a good deal to sell out, or told him NOT to sell it, just run it.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 83 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on May 2013 @ Slovenia
Hah, so what does this mean for future, Microsoft deal expires at the end of 2015 (as I remember), so Nokia has already released android phone, and this means that nokia will go on android after 2015 in all phone ranges (even those high ends one...) So that means to buy a Lumia device is probably stupid thing to do, because it can happen the same thing like happened to Meego and N9 (no support or a poor support by Microsoft..)
Nokia is sinking even more with this step, changing the OS on every 2 years is just stupid, they are confused they don't know where to go, I think the best solution to go forward is to make a 2 steps back, back in 2010 and choose the MeeGo way and create strong partnership with Intel which would provide the best chips for their devices, and ofc, they must do something more than just mobile device, I see the future in 1 OS on all devices (phone, laptop, PC, tablet...etc..)
I feel sorry for Nokia because of their administration, I hope someday they will get it and we won't be forced to use an apple phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to anzx For This Useful Post:
The division that made the Android phone, is the part Microsoft bought. So, this phone would help Microsoft, not rest-Nokia.

As to the deal that expires at the end of 2015:
My first impression was that it was Microsofts right to use the Nokia brand. Apparently, I was wrong. What ends after 2015 seems to be the exclusive right to the Nokia brand. It seems that Microsoft has a right to use the Nokia brand for ten years.

Source, Elop talking about the future of the Nokia brand 10 years from now: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...kia-brand.html

If I was to believe both those interpretations, this would mean that Microsoft AND Nokia can make competing phones under the Nokia brand after 2015? That is just impossible. There must be a clause that prevents Nokia from doing it, or Microsoft would already ditch the Nokia brand. They do not appear to be rushing towards that.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
LOL I just found out that CPU used by the Nokia X series isn't similar to the Lumia 520 at all.

Nokia X uses MSM8225 (dual core Cortex A5 and Adreno 203 made on 45nm), Lumia 520 uses MSM8227 (dual core Krait and Adreno 305 made on 28nm).

So the CPU alone is half as powerful as the CPU in the Lumia 520, and GPU is of the previous generation. Windows Phone 8 currently couldn't run on this hardware even if Nokia wanted it to.

At first I was curious about the Nokia X phones, now I will definitely wait to see reviews. Single thread performance on the Cortex A8 in the N9 is better than on Nokia X. That combined with a relative old Android version will most likely result in bad performance, but I'll wait for the reviews to see this confirmed

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernard For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
For those that are really bored: Here is more about Nokia X. Click link at bottom for details...

http://www.xda-developers.com/androi...okia-x-family/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mscion For This Useful Post:
I was hoping that there would be a little more excitement about the X phone on TMO than this, what gives?

I have been looking for a new phone for a while now and the XL looks like a nice cheap device to play with as a stop gap for later things. Heck, a Nokia device built on an open source OS with an uncertain future is right up my alley

Who else is buying one?

Posts: 1,161 | Thanked: 1,707 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Denmark
I would concider one as a work phone. Cheap, ok looking and would do the small task I need it to do... mostly phoning

Dousan...

My Søciety6:
http://society6.com/Dousan

The Following User Says Thank You to Dousan For This Useful Post:
Every NokiaX sold would be a slap in the face to Windows Phone too, haha.

The one group where I do see potential in with these phones is the baby boomer generation (our parents) who will choose one. They will not care about the specs or OS but would like “one of those smart phones”from the company they know and just does what they need with the ability to play what ever flappy birds flash game rip off is the flavor of the month, without trying to figure out how to access the launcher menu first... It is an untapped market, I reckon.

The Following User Says Thank You to MINKIN2 For This Useful Post: