Active Topics

Notices

Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
Iphone's browser is far from "full browsing". In Microb you can at least have a lot of flash sites slowly load, but load at least.
Im Microb you can even use Facebook chat and apps, watch YouTube videos (most of them) and basically anything you could do in a desktop computer with Flash 9 and without Java plugin...

AND, you can use a Stylus for non mobile-optimized pages, without having to zoom before, and with the virtual cursor you can highlight/hover and select/copy/paste really nicely.

You can have more "mobile-like" experience with Opera, and is still really nice and "almost" full browsing (I guess similar to an Android)... It also has a less useful version of a "virtual cursor".

If you want a "light" experience, you can try Macuco, it loads the Iphone-optimized pages by default and so it is slightly faster.

If you just want to check your gmail account, you can use MobWebMail (instead of Modest), its like a stripped-down and completely specific version of Macuco.

I think web browsing is much better than in Iphone, having used both of them...
And most important part is WE HAVE CHOICES! And they are all free and even many of them, open source.

I would also like to see news about Chromium for Maemo... I tried to compile a newer version once, but its Heavy.... And requires A LOT of things I was unable to gather. I have null knowledge of porting so... :S
Hi

can you tell how do you activate the virtual cursor in Opera

Posts: 185 | Thanked: 111 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Mexico DF, Mexico
Originally Posted by anismistry View Post
Hi

can you tell how do you activate the virtual cursor in Opera
Just Press "Enter" Key. You can controll that little cursor with the arrow keys. That's why it's less powerfull than Microb's... or maybe more usable in some cases... (A little off-topic, though)
N900 registered as Linux Machine # 426325

Originally Posted by strange1712 View Post
Just Press "Enter" Key. You can controll that little cursor with the arrow keys. That's why it's less powerfull than Microb's... or maybe more usable in some cases... (A little off-topic, though)
oh yeah, i remember now thanks

Could someone compile the .deb and share it here?
I really want to test this but i don't know how to compile debian package..
thanks before

How do you turn this into a .deb?

Tried using the chrome-wrapper, but no succes

Originally Posted by dreadnought View Post
yes, I logged in as root. might it be a pathname error? I saved the files to Documents. what pathfile command do I need?

The simple way is to create a catalogue from application manager and download the chromium. This is the steps and the format:
1. open application manager
2. Tab on the title bar above.
3. Tab on application catalogue to create new catalogue by clicking on the "New" button.
4. Below is the catalogue address format:

Catalogue name: Jacekowski
Web address: http://maemo.jacekowski.org/
Distribution: fremantle
Component: free non-free

Originally Posted by Lemonadium View Post
I managed to get Chromium 14.0.813 working on maemo5 by using chromium buildbots arm snapshots and fiddling with few libraries. Unfortunately it is the "Chromium OS" version which means many things are buggy.

flash works after enabling it and browser it is much faster than microB.

in case someone is interested, compiled ARM binaries can be downloaded from:
http://build.chromium.org/f/chromium/snapshots/Arm/
Could someone compile the deb file and share it here?

Banned | Posts: 32 | Thanked: 11 times | Joined on Aug 2011
Does anyone know what happened to this project and where can I get the latest deb file?
As I seem to recall, google pulled off the browser for n900 coz of copy right protection or something along the line..
And when i had it, I dun remember adding jacekawoski.org repo to my phone.. Think it was on maemo repos :/
Anyway, can someone confirm if chromium_5.0.369.2-maemo4_armel.deb is the latest version? If not, can someone upload?

Banned | Posts: 695 | Thanked: 308 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ originally pakistan ,now in china
i am having problem with flash ,how to get it working ? please help
can i get extensions file from somewhere else other than the address been quoted before ? cuz that address now shows nothing .
help if some one knows !!

Posts: 78 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Moscow
Help me please. I can't install chrome touch extension.
No button "install" or something, but "available on chrome".

Okay, open link
http://www.chromeextensions.org/wp-c...omeTouch20.crx
from Chromium solved my little problem.

Last edited by OMOIKANE; 2012-03-07 at 15:33. Reason: solved

Tags
alternative browser, alternative web browser, browser, browser war, browserd fix, chrome, chromium, fremantle, google, inferior compared to ff, maemo, maemo 5, maemo browser alternative, maemo browser war, microb alternative, microb killer, web browser