Had my 770 for a couple of weeks now... installed a bunch of stuff, deleted a bunch, had a generally good time. Now I want get a 2GB card, boot from that, but have a pristine factory setting in flash.

What do I do? I assume I have to reflash the device with the OS? How do I do that?

Then after that I follow the instructions at
http://maemo.org/community/wiki/howt...from_mmc_card/ right?

Is there anything else I need to know?

Once I have the dual boot working, when I install apps, such as, say, Claw-mail, will it install to the card automagically?

Ed

I did exactly what you suggest. I played around with a bunch of stuff, then decided to start fresh by flashing with the original OS from Nokia, using the Windows software they provide. I then follwed the HOW-TO and I now boot from "mmc2". Software you install gets added to whichever root you boot. If you boot from internal flash and install apps, they won't show up when you boot from mmc, although anything already installed gets copied over when you do the initial copy in the HOW-TO. If you use fanoush's kernel flasher, I believe it also updates only the kernel that you have booted.

So my internal flash has only the official OS with a few key apps (xterm, ssh, load-applet-run), but mmc partition 2 has fanoush's kernel patches for multiblock mmc access (faster file i/o) and all the apps I want - scummvm, maemo mapper, leafpad, minimo, etc.

Keep in mind, you can only boot from mmc by modifying the initfs, so I don't think you can technically have a "pristine" internal flash.

Last edited by fatcatfan; 2007-07-10 at 14:41.