Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If you want to keep Maemo alive then i suggest more is done to gain the much wanted code from Nokia so to enable more development to take place on Maemo and then make it more appealing, that with MeeGo running alongside should keep interest in this site.
You already have a thread or two for that discussion. I don't think it needs to be played out again here.

Your last post is the most desperate yet and sad to read.
Yes, well, I do lead a life of quiet desperation. I'll try harder to stop my profound despair from bleeding through into my posts though. Sorry.

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2011-07-19 at 18:57. Reason: typo correction

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
You already have a thread or two for that discussion. I don't think it needs to be played out again here.

Yes, well, I do lead a life of quiet desperation. I'll try harder to stop my profound despair from bleeding though into my posts though. Sorry.
Maybe you would re-open that thread as it was not only a poll it was also a step forward for the release of the code, it was very unfairly shut down by a moderator after they allowed the abuse to continue without doing there job properly, ANOTHER reason this site is going downhill i might add !.

Maybe we can cheer you up by letting you know your posts are always welcome and spits out the latest feelings from the Council so always interesting to read and THANKYOU for that.

Originally Posted by sjgadsby View Post
1. Preservation of Value

What else of maemo.org do we need to keep?
Wiki and static developer docs for sure. The non-extras parts of repository.maemo.org. Garage (existing content at least). Profiles probably, though we could live without the karma parts if needs be.

Do people use the downloads interface? I don't personally, but one other thing I would really hate to lose is http://maemo.org/packages/

Oh, and we might possibly need http://maemo.org/vote/ again someday.

What could be allowed to slip away?
I think calendar can definitely die.

News could possibly go, not much relevant stuff there anymore and IMHO MWKN does a better job of highlighting important items.

Based on the amount of traffic they get, maybe the mailing lists could be consolidated.
List archives are very important, but several external ones also exist.

(+1 on brainstorm)

The features list for Gitorious doesn't include a bug tracker. If that's correct, that's one clear feature mismatch between the two tools, and how do Gitorious projects handle bug tracking?
Also, since most people hated garage's bugtracker and used bugs.maemo.org instead, is that staying and who is going to admin it? IIRC from past discussions it contains confidential data so we wouldn't get access. At best we could dump extras and import them into a new instance.

What about all the mothballed projected in Garage? License permitting, should their code be preserved somewhere if Garage goes away?
Absolutely! Also, if garage is going away, someone should give those guys some notice.

What of MXR?
AIUI that was never an official thing but set up and maintained by timeless on his own box somewhere. Is he still around and/or willing to keep it alive?

2. Plan for the Future
What is the goal of keeping maemo.org going? Is it simply to maintain resources for a slowly dwindling group of people who continue to use their Maemo devices? (Even without accidental damage and the lure of new devices, we have whitescreen death, fragile USB ports, and SIM card recognition issues depleting our number.)
FWIW, after looking at everything available or forthcoming from Nokia and everyone else, I went and bought another N810 so if this place still exists I'll probably be around for a while.

Do we aim to become a popular, non-official, alternative MeeGo site with a different culture?

Do we expand in a different direction, embrace Android, and try to carve out a space among the many sites already catering to Android users?

Do we try to become a community serving all mobile device users?
-1 on all of the above. Such places may be useful, but they have no business being called maemo.org.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I would love to learn what Nokia's reaction to the petition was when you presented it, but this is not the appropriate place to discuss that.

I think that the essence of this site is talk, not storing program information or the like. The nice thing about talk is that it is relatively easy to keep going and is not resource hungry.

I recently bought an Entourage Edge Android tablet, and the company responded in just a few days by going out of business and shutting down the site.

An alternate site on mobileread.com was enhanced and mirrored the messages from the company site and seems to be thriving now. Developers are slowly gathering and creating more advanced versions of the android software.

The maemo.org site is older and larger, but I don't see the fundamental problems as that different.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
If you want to keep Maemo alive then i suggest more is done to gain the much wanted code from Nokia
Ain't gonna happen. You can hold your breath until you're blue (a lot of us did), but that's the reality of it. Let's move on.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Originally Posted by lma View Post
AIUI that was never an official thing but set up and maintained by timeless on his own box somewhere. Is he still around and/or willing to keep it alive?
timeless now works for RIM. I don't know if he still has any interest in Maemo.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sjgadsby For This Useful Post:
So from what is being written here all i see is Maemo is dying so let us move on ........ yes it is easier to give in but, without a fight?.

Maemo.org has a problem if Maemo does die and as much as i read i still do not see anyone from the organisation pushing Nokia with everything they got because lets face it what is there to lose ? and what is next for this community?.

Ok back to Internet Tablet Talk we go !.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
CMMIW, but if Nokia still keeps maemo's rights and trademarks, then all that can be 'done' with the maemo 'brand' is just support the existing releases and devices.

The community made components can obviously be ported to 'live on' on newer devices and other distros (MeeGo... Android?), but will this be the best place to host the development for them going forward?

As for the forum...

It has a unique pedigree.. it's one of the first forums dedicated to internet tablets before it stormed the market. I also think it's one of the 'free'est forum (in terms of moderation) which still retains some shape or form (not falter down to 4chan's level heh)... but it has lost a significant amount of ___ after the MeeGo blow (and then some).

I wonder if it can sustain itself without a hosting exclusive 'platform' (a la maemo)?
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

Last edited by ysss; 2011-07-18 at 05:23.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Ysss the obvious platform would have to be the next OS from Nokia and as much as people rant and rave and throw insults at Nokia its CEO Elop, it is THE only way forward because this IS a Nokia based Community that will only strive on Nokia devices.

Stop to think right now as it is a little premature and not that bad, just wait and see where it goes because for now is all we can do.

New development even if met with bad vibes will not always be that way so consider that too.

Stick with Nokia whatever happens with them because they will always be around for a long time to come.

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
I'd say stick with the idea of internet tablets and they have a better future than Nokia. If we anchor ourselves to the past, our natural home is the bottom of the sea.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:

Tags
goodbye nokia, maemo.org, troll party, winding down