Hi,

I am in a pretty sticky situation in regards to my N9.

My phones display has conked off so i cant see anything on the screen though i randomly touch the phone on connecting it to PC using a USB chord and it goes to the USB mode and opens up like a hard disk partition which only shows me the Photos, videos,documents etc. on my phone. I cannot access my SMSes.

The phone cannot go in PC SUITE USB MODE. So using PC SUITE is not possible too.

To make matters worse, In India the N9 was never launched. So Nokia Centre technicians here will not repair the phone at all.

What i basically ONLY want to do is be able to access my SMSes via USB on PC (as i cant do anything on my phone due to the display issue) and delete all my stored inaccessible private SMSes in the device. I do not want to use the phone anymore just have it completely cleaned of private information.

I wanted to know, if i FORMAT my NOKIA N9 in USB mode (Which is what we see as a hard disk partition on Windows PC wherein we can access various photo,music and videos on the phone) would it also automatically delete all my SMSes on the phone or only delete the Videos, photos, documents etc. that i can see on my PC.

If it does not delete the SMSes what can i do to access my SMSes via USB chord in my present scenario (No phone access, No PC SUITE USB mode, have only Hard disk partition type access)
Are there any softwares which i could use maybe?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 645 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Finland
Reflash your phone. It will compeletely overwrite everything from operating system to your files.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=82693

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Formatting in USB mass mode will not erase your PIM data, only photos etc that you can see. However, if all you desire is securely wipe your data, then the simplest solution is the "two big rocks" method: put the phone on Big Rock #1 and smash it with Big Rock #2. It might be safer to open it and take the battery out first, or do it outside and get ready to run.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Accessing your device "blind" is really easy, just boot it up into maintanance mode with ubiboot kernel.
Then you can copy your SMS database to computer and open it with sqlite3 compatible editor.

Formatting your MyDocs (which is normally the partition exported by USB as memory device unless you have tweaked it) will not destroy your messages et al. as those are stored on home partition.
You need to flash your device in wipe mode to get rid of that.

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Accessing your device "blind" is really easy, just boot it up into maintanance mode with ubiboot kernel.
Then you can copy your SMS database to computer and open it with sqlite3 compatible editor.

Formatting your MyDocs (which is normally the partition exported by USB as memory device unless you have tweaked it) will not destroy your messages et al. as those are stored on home partition.
You need to flash your device in wipe mode to get rid of that.
My technical prowess is not so sharp on this.
But some read thru on the ubibot got me to this link http://www.douban.com/group/topic/40998269/

But it says "Enable Developer Mode, as well as Allow installation from non-store sources
Install Filebox and N9 Quick Tweak to enable Filebox Root"

As i said i have zero access to my phone due to the DEAD display. I cannot enable diable anything on my phone as mentioned. All i am able to do is connect it to the PC via USB.

Would it be possible for you to give me a ubibot for dummies kind of explaination of how i need to do this. Anyways the entire process seems like rocket science to me.

Originally Posted by nikkysix View Post
Would it be possible for you to give me a ubiboot for dummies kind of explaination of how i need to do this. Anyways the entire process seems like rocket science to me.
Don't know whether this resource helps you gain access to device: https://tobrunet.ch/2013/01/access-a...9-meego-phone/ although links for flasher are dead those for MeeGo kernel and N950 MeeGo rescue initrd are still valid.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
My technical prowess is not so sharp on this.
But some read thru on the ubibot got me to this link http://www.douban.com/group/topic/40998269/

But it says "Enable Developer Mode, as well as Allow installation from non-store sources
Install Filebox and N9 Quick Tweak to enable Filebox Root"

As i said i have zero access to my phone due to the DEAD display. I cannot enable diable anything on my phone as mentioned. All i am able to do is connect it to the PC via USB.
Those things are not necessary when you want to use ubiboot kernel to boot into maintanance mode.

Would it be possible for you to give me a ubibot for dummies kind of explaination of how i need to do this. Anyways the entire process seems like rocket science to me.
Okay, I have posted the procedure already in several threads, for example last time here.

However, no harm in repeating the procedure again.

Prerequisities: You absolutely need Linux for this. Some people have used Windows, but to do that you need extra patches and whatnot to your WIN machine.
It's OK to run a Live-boot distro though, or use Linux running in a VM. (but you need to config VM for USB passthru)

So, this is the general procedure:
  • 1.) download and install the Linux version of the flasher.
  • 2.) download the latest ubiboot release from http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot...3.5_301013.tar
  • 3.) untar the ubiboot archive, you only need the kernel file zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_301013 for this.
  • 4.) boot up the kernel with flasher; "sudo flasher -l -k zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_301013 - b".
  • 5.) do not remove the USB cable, keep it connected and when the device starts up it will enter maintanance mode.
  • 6.) in maintanance mode the device offers 2 services by default: all the partitions are exported to PC (not just MyDocs) and you have the possibility to telnet into the device console.

Now, what I believe is that you just want to rescue your SMS database. It is stored on the /home/ partition in location .cache/tracker/meta.db

When you get to the step 7.) on the above dummies-guide, you will probably see 3 folder windows pop up on your Linux screen, depending on your distribution.
Find the folder window which contains your /home/ partition. You will find there a folder ".cache" and under that folder "tracker". In the tracker folder you have a bunch of files, of which the database is the file "meta.db". Copy that to your PC and you're done

The Following User Says Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Those things are not necessary when you want to use ubiboot kernel to boot into maintanance mode.

Okay, I have posted the procedure already in several threads, for example last time here.

However, no harm in repeating the procedure again.

Prerequisities: You absolutely need Linux for this. Some people have used Windows, but to do that you need extra patches and whatnot to your WIN machine.
It's OK to run a Live-boot distro though, or use Linux running in a VM. (but you need to config VM for USB passthru)

So, this is the general procedure:
  • 1.) download and install the Linux version of the flasher.
  • 2.) download the latest ubiboot release from http://www.swagman.org/juice/ubiboot...3.5_301013.tar
  • 3.) untar the ubiboot archive, you only need the kernel file zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_301013 for this.
  • 4.) boot up the kernel with flasher; "sudo flasher -l -k zImage_2.6.32.54-ubiboot-02_301013 - b".
  • 5.) do not remove the USB cable, keep it connected and when the device starts up it will enter maintanance mode.
  • 6.) in maintanance mode the device offers 2 services by default: all the partitions are exported to PC (not just MyDocs) and you have the possibility to telnet into the device console.

Now, what I believe is that you just want to rescue your SMS database. It is stored on the /home/ partition in location .cache/tracker/meta.db

When you get to the step 7.) on the above dummies-guide, you will probably see 3 folder windows pop up on your Linux screen, depending on your distribution.
Find the folder window which contains your /home/ partition. You will find there a folder ".cache" and under that folder "tracker". In the tracker folder you have a bunch of files, of which the database is the file "meta.db". Copy that to your PC and you're done
Thanks a lot JuiceMe! Really appreciate your help.

I am trying to download Linux for the version of the flasher you sent me.

Do i need this for downloading and running Linux alonside my Windows to do the steps you mentioned: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Or do i need to download some other version of Linux or something?

Could you please link me the version i need. Thanks

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Do i need this for downloading and running Linux alonside my Windows to do the steps you mentioned: http://www.ubuntu.com/download

Or do i need to download some other version of Linux or something?
Ubuntu is fine. Please note that nowadays all major distributions will recommend the 64 bit versions but make sure you download the 32 bit one, otherwise there are some additional steps to do.

Also, Ubuntu and many others will allow you to run directly from the CD, without touching your PC's hard drive. This is called the "live CD", "live distribution" or one of many other variants on the same theme. All juiceme's steps will work on the live CD but keep in mind that, because it does not touch the hard drive, any changes you make (such as installing the flasher) will be non-persistent and if you want to do it again, you will have to start from step 1.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post: