Closed Thread
Posts: 1,665 | Thanked: 1,649 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Praha, Czech Republic
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
how about you explain just why this is the case
It has been explained a billion times but you are unable to listen.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andre Klapper For This Useful Post:
Looking at the posts on here all i see ase pro Nokian's who don't only support Nokia but refuse to make a move against them and for what??????.

Nokia are a sham but no one wants to see it that way and do something about it, what we get on here? excuse after excuse after excuse.

This place is full of pro active Nokia fairies if you ask me.
maybe you should also factor in that most Maemo.org members are very upset right now
like i alluded to in my RE: to jalyst, everybody here is talking about how Maemo is dead.
or needs to be saved from a certain death
so far, even Quim hasn't stated that he got notification of the end of support of Maemo.
lot'a posting around frantically but hardly any concrete information alas

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
maybe you should also factor in that most Maemo.org members are very upset right now
like i alluded to in my RE: to jalyst, everybody here is talking about how Maemo is dead.
or needs to be saved from a certain death
so far, even Quim hasn't stated that he got notification of the end of support of Maemo.
lot'a posting around frantically but hardly any concrete information alas
This has been my concern for a long time now and when you come on here all you will ever get are comments about the legalities but no one ever talks about what will be the case when Nokia do go down because at that point it will not be a case of closed or copyright infringement rather that 3rd party can then let it go for further development as the manufacturer has closed down so it will be a completely different ball game but no one seems to have thought about this.

Even at this point the approach to this is either not being dealt with at all or not in the right way, if it is then no one is letting on.

I don't go or accept in any way about closed source anything as far as Maemo is concerned for the reasons that Nokia seem to have abandoned it completely and is never going to do any more work on Maemo again, under these conditions there is a way forward especially if it is to be further developed by either a cooperative or a community like this one.

Under those conditions when Nokia has either closed down or will give legal notice it is or has ceased all development other rules will apply but at this point i don't see anything to confirm this as you stated.

Stskeeps may be able to throw some light on this so if he reads this post maybe he can comment?.

I am dis-regarding Andre Klapper's post because like he and many others i feel they are not looking at this in the right way.

All i ever wanted and still do is the release for legal reasons the complete source of Maemo so why i keep getting shouted down for this i do not know.

Chemist is just going to have to understand i am serious in my approach to all of this and i do not think he completely understands where i am coming from.

OK nothing offensive in this post only suggestions and wanted comments.

May I ask any and all moderators looking at this thread to stop warning and moderate instead? Ie, move all off-topic posts somewhere else so some actual discussion can take place?

TIA

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Give me moderate rights. I can hunt them down and kill them for you.

I don't think we have any moderators left. The only one I see once every month is Texrat.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Posts: 590 | Thanked: 475 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ New York City
Forgive my ignorance, but who funds forum.meego.com?

Originally Posted by lma View Post
May I ask any and all moderators looking at this thread to stop warning and moderate instead? Ie, move all off-topic posts somewhere else so some actual discussion can take place?

TIA
and....

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Give me moderate rights. I can hunt them down and kill them for you.[...]
see
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
Would you mind to take a breath for a day or two? If you continue like this I will make you take a brake, again! Stop this fanboyism discussion and anti Nokia flaming.

This is neither the right place nor the right way of such posts. In terms of community I consider it part of "Religion & Politics" which makes it off limits.

I write this publicly to make those whom reported you aware of actions. EOL
or attached...

and stop acting like 70 yrs old virgins hearing for the 1st time about the Bill Clinton gate...
Attached Images

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
[...]

I don't think we have any moderators left. The only one I see once every month is Texrat.
btw...
maybe need a pair of XTRA strong binoculars?!?
Attached Images

[...]

OK nothing offensive in this post only suggestions and wanted comments.
abill,

no offense, but you don't seem to understand what FOSS is, do you?
the Linuxes you (can?) get running on your PC are anything but opensource.
the primary reason why a (fully) open source based Linux / GNU runs on a PC in a remotely acceptable state for Jane or Joe Doe is because Intel makes most if not all of their hardware drivers (network adapters, basic aka build-in graphic adapters, north- and southbridges aso.) available under quasi open-source terms.
so does AMD, for that matter
if it wasn't for that, most Linux installs would end up with a dashing _ in the top left corner of a black screen, without network connection and with very limited access to storage

back to topic (NOKIA's "open source" effort...)
NOKIA makes mobile devices, from dumb phones to... well, the only pocket computer running a quasi full fledged Linux / GNU.
they don't make all the innards of the devices, they license them from 3rd parties HW companies.
until that m0##0n of Flop arrived and starting farting around, they were fully in control of their primary platform, Symbian^3.
on Symbian, it didn't really matter what the licenses for HW related parts were, as hardly any access is given to it
for Maemo (/MeeGo), well, we are struggling with the fact that NOKIA can not for most parts release the code of the drivers because they simply don't own them.
for a limited number of them (osso-Phone to name but one) not divulging the code is competitive edge.
like the struggle of Mer, Nemo, Nitdroid and possibly others shows, it isn't that easy to get this to work, thus it is also a competitive choice.
NOKIA is a quoted company after all, they still should make a profit...

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Pro active Nokia fairies? Did someone actually say that? Did Reggie give abill-uk a permanent get out of jail free card, or what? That is deeply offensive rhetoric.

Last edited by geneven; 2012-06-21 at 02:39.

The Following User Says Thank You to geneven For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
citation needed