Posts: 1,878 | Thanked: 646 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ San Jose, CA
From Pocketables

Seems like an N800 clone. Their "Maemo" doesn't look exactly like any version of Maemo I've seen (and in some ways looks like the also "borrowed" from Windows as well). I'm pretty sure it's not a blessed port/license of Maemo, though.

The Following User Says Thank You to johnkzin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Maemo 4. Chinese don't really care about any copyright stuff, but if it is really full OpenSource (i.e. they have replaced closed parts of Maemo suite) it totally legal (as long as they obey the license rules).
The question is about built quality, features on paper are not enough. Someone care to buy one of those?

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
My comments are fairly similar as in my former post

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=304886&postcount=9

That said, it looks like they're using Nokia Sans as a font and a bunch of stolen icons still. I am however still impressed of how much they've done.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by hopbeat View Post
Maemo 4. Chinese don't really care about any copyright stuff, but if it is really full OpenSource (i.e. they have replaced closed parts of Maemo suite) it totally legal (as long as they obey the license rules).
The question is about built quality, features on paper are not enough. Someone care to buy one of those?

Totally legal except for the whole trademark thing :-)

Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
My comments are fairly similar as in my former post

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=304886&postcount=9

That said, it looks like they're using Nokia Sans as a font and a bunch of stolen icons still. I am however still impressed of how much they've done.
*sigh* I was hoping that the topic search (as you create the thread) would catch if this device had been mentioned before. I knew another chinese Maemo device had been mentioned before ... but it's kind of annoying that it was the exact same device, and the search didn't find it.

If a Mod wants to merge this thread into that one, I wont be even remotely offended.

So, has Nokia said anything about how legal this port of Maemo is?

Obviously the trademark and some of the icons are an issue (not just for Nokia, but that web browser icon would probably draw the wrath of Microsoft), but when just looking at the code: if Mer were to cannibalize whatever useful packages are in this Chinese-Maemo, would Nokia be upset with Mer?

And then that brings up: Is here much that's useful in the Chinese-Maemo that Mer would benefit from? I seem to recall that the on screen keyboards weren't part of the code that Nokia opened up (or has that changed?) ... if that's still true, could the code from the Chinese-Maemo be absorbed into Mer? Assuming they haven't mixed their own closed packages into the pot...

Posts: 5,335 | Thanked: 8,187 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Pennsylvania, USA
Threads merged.

Is it just me or does this look like maemo 4?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/12/08/o...=Google+Reader

Posts: 374 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Hungary
Its awesome!
Where can I get one?

Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by johnkzin View Post
So, has Nokia said anything about how legal this port of Maemo is?

Obviously the trademark and some of the icons are an issue (not just for Nokia, but that web browser icon would probably draw the wrath of Microsoft), but when just looking at the code: if Mer were to cannibalize whatever useful packages are in this Chinese-Maemo, would Nokia be upset with Mer?
We're not interested in closed source packages. If there's GPL source packages, we're interested and why would Nokia be upset about us using GPL code? :P. But everything troublesome legally we obviously have no interest in

From a geeky point of view, I'd like to see their rootfs.
As you go on to other communities, remember to build them around politeness, respect, trust and humility. Be wary of poisonous people and deal with them before they end up killing your community.. Seen it happen to too many IRC channels, forums, open source projects.

The Following User Says Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post: