Notices

ok can someone help me here...I just don't have it to read all 30 pages.

I want to use my new toshiba nb305 netbook with my n900. I am in the usa using tmobile...

If I pay for this joikuspot, am I good to go? will tmobile somhow start charging me? I just want it for basic web browsing when I am not at a wireless such as home or a starbuck. so a few questions...

1) can I keep my custom kernel settings? I am using lv with 850/250 and am very happy with this configuration

2) will it work over 2.5 as I really hate killing my n900 with 3g

3) does it work well? I just want to have the option to use some basic browsing through my toshiba which does not have bluetooth, so it seems I need to use the n900 as an access point.

thanks and again I am sorry but I just hate when there is no wiki and a dissussion runs into the 100's of posts...

Has anyone reported the bug with this that if you have fMMS and fAPN has configured another internet point(MMS), and you have your normal net conencted, then MH will disconnect it and connect the MMS AP instead ?

Steps to repro:

Have an existing data AP
Use fAPN to make an MMS AP
Configure MH to use the data AP
Use the clock menu to connect the data AP, or have it already connected
Press the Start button in MH
MH disconnects the data AP, conencts MMS ap, and nothing works

Solution:
Have 2 buttons (or 3): one to start the wifi hotspot and one to connect the chosen connection (or one to do both), that way I can choose what to do

Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
If I pay for this joikuspot, am I good to go?
Yep. You can always complain to them if youre not

will tmobile somhow start charging me?
I can't see how they'd realise, perhaps by looking at the user agent headers of your http requests and see that it's not a mobile browser

I just want it for basic web browsing when I am not at a wireless such as home or a starbuck. so a few questions...
There's a free version of joiku that does web only, but it may not be available for n900

1) can I keep my custom kernel settings? I am using lv with 850/250 and am very happy with this configuration
MH requires a custom kernel, but doesnt care about the lv/clock

2) will it work over 2.5 as I really hate killing my n900 with 3g
yes

3) does it work well? I just want to have the option to use some basic browsing through my toshiba which does not have bluetooth, so it seems I need to use the n900 as an access point.
Ummm... Not as well as I'd expected. Few bugs, conencts up the wrong APN, sometimes doesnt wait long enough for the GSM net to establish, I have to go into my ipod settings and renew the dhcp lease each time I reboot MH otherwise it doesnt work and after some period of inactivity on the N900 it knocks the wifi off, and I have to faff about getting it started again, quit MH, disconnect net, start MH, start the AP, renew the lease..

thanks and again I am sorry but I just hate when there is no wiki and a dissussion runs into the 100's of posts...
Me too

Originally Posted by cjard View Post
Yep. You can always complain to them if youre not

I can't see how they'd realise, perhaps by looking at the user agent headers of your http requests and see that it's not a mobile browser

There's a free version of joiku that does web only, but it may not be available for n900

MH requires a custom kernel, but doesnt care about the lv/clock

yes

Ummm... Not as well as I'd expected. Few bugs, conencts up the wrong APN, sometimes doesnt wait long enough for the GSM net to establish, I have to go into my ipod settings and renew the dhcp lease each time I reboot MH otherwise it doesnt work and after some period of inactivity on the N900 it knocks the wifi off, and I have to faff about getting it started again, quit MH, disconnect net, start MH, start the AP, renew the lease..

Me too
hmm thanks for the not so glowing review. I assume MH means maemo?

I am still a little confused...I have to take a different custom kernel then I assume? but I can still overclock and use lv? Or do I lose that functionality?

If the kernel required for wifi does not allow the undervolt, overclock of the one I am using (titan's???) then I would not want to mess with the n900.

thanks.

Posts: 2 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Nürnberg Germany
Originally Posted by extendedping View Post
I assume MH means maemo?
= Mobile Hotspot; available from extras repo

Hey,

I used to have mobilehotspot working perfectly, however a couple of months ago I stopped being able to connect. I don't think I'm getting an ip address, but I'm not certain.
I have tried reflashing my phone and using only the stable repositories (previously used testing and devel), but the situation seems to be the same.

Any tips?

P.s. The backend seems to start fine.

I'm back from incommunicado (training trip to Japan; zero time for anything else there) will try to answer people tomorrow when I have gotten better over jetlag.

"Does it work well": For many extremely (some have never had any issues at all), for others less so (see for example fMMS causing trouble), YMMV. Trying is free though (unlike with Joiku, which also is rather YMMV from what I have heard)

The custom kernel required is titans kernel (though the dependencies are specified in such way that any other properly packaged kernel with correct modules can fulfill them), if you're rolling your own (kernel) then you already should know enough to 1. compile it with correct modules 2. package it properly or install/run MH (MobileHotspot) without using the package.

fMMS issues is something I cannot comment on, AFAIUnderstand it messes about with the packet data settings somehow: if that causes you trouble with MH then you need to figure out how to solve it and preferably make a patch I can include in the official packages (I do not have the time or interest to debug this issue).

Wiki page: it would be nice if someone else (tm) could make one.

"I don't have the time...": I will be very disinclined to reply to the same questions over and over and over again, a little self-help goes a long way.

"No connection for laptop/whatever but backend starts fine": I have seen this sometimes but not in a while (which makes investigation kinda hard), debugging this is same as debugging networking in general (since MH really doesn't do anything special it just automates a bunch of things you could do from the UI/terminal yourself), as for network debugging aside from the first checks (pings with manual IPs, arp resolution test) there isn't much someone who doesn't know how to debug networks already can do (because next steps involve using packet sniffers, network scanners, low-level wifi sniffing tools etc and I will not be holding anyones hand through those procedures).

"Device X needs dhcp refresh": This is a problem in device Xs end (it probably treats Ad-Hoc connections as special).

"Does not wait long enough": Known issue (the wait time is hard-coded due to various complexities in receiving the actual "connection is now up" -signals), unlikely to be fixed by me though (it's a minor annoyance easily worked around and fixing it in a clean way is complex)

"Mobile provider vs tethering": There are ways to detect that someone doing NAT and sharing the connection (on TCP/IP level, no need to reconstruct the HTTP [or other protocol level] request and analyze that), doing this on a large scale is expensive though so it's quite unlikely that you will get detected (supposing your provider forbids tethering and/or connection sharing). This has nothing to do with how much you pay for your traffic in general (for example some "flat rate" subscriptions only include for example 3GB of traffic and after that it's billed per megabyte [not quite "unlimited"]).

Infrastructure mode: not going to happen (as stated on the first page: it's almost impossible [and only almost because very few things are actually impossible: usually it's "just" not worth the expense/trouble])

I got MobileHotspot to work in my N900 with Macbook and iPad today, after numerous frustrating reboots to the phone, reading this message chain and eventually uninstalling also AutoDisconnect from the phone. I don't know whether AutoDisconnect was a culprit of anything, but after uninstalling it and rebooting the phone - Mobile Hotspot started to work ok.

Rambo has done great job helping people here and his messages in terms of debugging helped also me to get through everything. Now I know that if the hotspot does not work, I can try to drop into Xterm and check with sudo what the backend says and whether there is anyone else blocking port 53.

It would be great to have seamless and bulletproof operation straight out of the box, but all and all I am grateful that this piece of software exists at all.

So thank you and keep up the great work!

Posts: 197 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Europe
53 is often blocked by the carriers to force you to use there DNS server.

but by the way HTTPS isn't working... or lets say wasn't working. i just did an update to PR1.3 so i can't check it anymore. Is this packet ready for 1.3?