Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Hi. How are these OS's government controlled? Just askin'.
Don't listen Dave, he is totally brainwashed.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by mscion View Post
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Wow, so you don't like Android, iOS, Chrome OS, Windows. Nice, no problem.
Hi. How are these OS's government controlled? Just askin'.
1. There are many android version that have "special" government addons, for example the chinese versions
2. iOS is being controlled by US government
3. I have to say I have no evidence on ChromeOs but would be surprised if there was no version created for government use
4. Windows is being controlled by US government

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
5. Every hardware has backdoors implemented, therefore probably every device/OS is government-controlled.

6. The internettraffic is government-controlled, so even with a "secure" device, big-brother knows what you're up to.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
trim one's sails to the wind...

So now it's suddenly OK?

iOS, WIn, And chrome is not manged or funded by the US government directly. They are also publicly traded componies which is an important aspect compared to jolla and sailfish. It's all in the dark and almost no information can be found.

That's why it's fishy. But we will see how this turn out.

I guess I'm most disappointed what way jolla was force/chose to go. I guess they had no other option to stay alive. I was hoping for an indipendet OS which is no longer is, and maybe never was for all we know.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-04-23 at 06:42.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
2. iOS is being controlled by US government
Really?

Do you have any proof or is it one of those, "Of course the Moon landings were staged, are you blind?"

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 229 | Thanked: 725 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Permanent cruiser - either water- or motorways
Hey folks WTF is goin on here ?

I would really prefer not to start a Cold War feeling here at tmo. Switch your brains back on (and online) and stop following the speeches of the (crazy) politicians who are "ruling" the world this days - they are all looking backwards and want to reverse to the unglobalized (and easier to rule) world of the 80s by trying to mark all others as dangerous, unreliable, or even worse ... - I grew up in a divided country where people where shoot for crossing a border - I definitely don't want that world back ...

So please stop talking about the US, the Russians, the Chinese ...

We are all living in one world and if communities and communications between the people are on and working we can make a difference and on the long term no borders, politicians, ... can stop free speech, free movement and free software - even if they produce their own closed systems - if the Russian government wants a mobile OS which is 100% free from influence of other governments I wouldn't blame them - and neither Jolla for selling the base to them (that's business) - or would you call Linux a bad thing because a government builds is own closed system on the kernel (or on a specific gui) or would you call BlackBerry unusable because they sold many specially secured and closed devices for governments all over the world?

At least the choice is yours - use a special country version of SFOS or the community one from Jolla ... (at least that is what I hope for) - only thing I would blame Jolla for would be if they are helping governments spying on people or blocking them from something but that is neither said nor proofed ...

Sorry for any inconvenience

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to elastic For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Really?
That case was a sham: as soon as it was going to a court, the FBI just used one of the backdoors to get everything they needed and dropped the case. Easy to make people then write it off as a win for Apple (who, doing nothing, cleared their bad rap in the public opinion) and a loss for the FBI, even though Apple had long before provided backdoor access to the US government and were just acting like saints, as proven by NSA document after NSA document.

Of course this only proves they're silently compliant, not that they're actually being controlled by the government. However, if you take a look at just how much advertising company Google is entangled in government affairs, it's not very hard to extrapolate to other large US-based technology companies.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by NX500 View Post
6. The internettraffic is government-controlled, so even with a "secure" device, big-brother knows what you're up to.
This is really only true for unencrypted communications. Of course in most cases you still let onlookers know about which websites you're connecting to, which is usually enough to get an idea of what you could be doing. Still, these problems can be solved using things like I2P, Tor or Freenet. If you run the latter in its 'dark mode'*, anyone overseeing your communications can't even see you're doing anything.

* It's high time software developers stop calling the most useful parts of their software shady names. Why does it have to be dark? I'm not doing any shady business, I just don't want everyone to know about it.

The Following User Says Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Why you think OMP / Sailfish OS is controlled by Russian government?

You CAN'T actually hide anything from your own government. You can try to hide your communications from other people. But you just can't hide it from your government, in case of situation government can get maximum information about your person and your communications.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
This is really only true for unencrypted communications. Of course in most cases you still let onlookers know about which websites you're connecting to, which is usually enough to get an idea of what you could be doing. Still, these problems can be solved using things like I2P, Tor or Freenet. If you run the latter in its 'dark mode'*, anyone overseeing your communications can't even see you're doing anything.

* It's high time software developers stop calling the most useful parts of their software shady names. Why does it have to be dark? I'm not doing any shady business, I just don't want everyone to know about it.
Tor is only secure as long as its entry/exit -nodes haven't been compromised/aren't run by GOV-agencies.

And btw, these tools won't stop anyone from spying from you on the hardware-level. If the data your spied on before it's encrypted the encryption is of no use.

2x N900 - both for sale, 1x in mint condition with a qwerty keyboard (with box and all accessories) and 1x in used condition with qwertz keyboard. PM me[/B]

1x N9 16GB cyan, made in Finland - for sale PM me

1x Jolla - for sale PM me

iPhone SE - lost

iPhone 7 - 128GB
Surface Pro 4 M3 - Win10 is buggy...
Lenovo Thinkpad W520 - Xubuntu
Lenovo Thinkpad X200 - Libreboot and Trisquel

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NX500 For This Useful Post: