Fully-functional Android port for N900 threatens to beat N9 to market

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/f...-beat-n9-to-m/

Any thoughts?

Posts: 519 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ North Carolina (Formerly Denmark and Iceland)
Originally Posted by mail_e36 View Post
Fully-functional Android port for N900 threatens to beat N9 to market

http://www.engadget.com/2010/08/27/f...-beat-n9-to-m/

Any thoughts?
Yes my thoughts are: And so what?

Itīs not like the N9 is a Android device or that NITdroid on N900 will solve some problems with Maemo or Meego on the N900/N9.

The Following User Says Thank You to olighak For This Useful Post:
well probably its a threat to n9... Considering 2 large mobile OS combined into 1 superphone what else would you want? N900 can be overclocked to (i'm not sure thou correct me if i'm wrong)1.2ghz maximum and its almost close to the upcoming snapdragon 1.5ghz
the only weak point for n900 as i can see is the not so important lack of magnetometer and of course it's screen which is prone to scratches. And... Nokia support hehe

I believe this has been posted before. No problems though.

I think it's great progress. Offers a valuable alternative. There is still work to be done. Voice (Even though the calls are made, there is still no voice), SMS and Data.

Then there will be work on other stuff, If the devs are still up to it.

It's going to be a long process. I think comparison to the N9 release was pretty good.

The Following User Says Thank You to Corso85 For This Useful Post:
Also, it seems the version with calling is not yet avail to download

Banned | Posts: 778 | Thanked: 337 times | Joined on Jun 2010
Originally Posted by Radicalz38 View Post
well probably its a threat to n9... Considering 2 large mobile OS combined into 1 superphone what else would you want? N900 can be overclocked to (i'm not sure thou correct me if i'm wrong)1.2ghz maximum and its almost close to the upcoming snapdragon 1.5ghz
the only weak point for n900 as i can see is the not so important lack of magnetometer and of course it's screen which is prone to scratches. And... Nokia support hehe
according to what i've heard.. snap dragon is comparatively less powerful than cortex a-8
*forgot the source*

how is it fully functional ?

Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
I heard that Snapdragon doesn't have a DSP. Which explained why it is less powerful in term of processing graphical vertices.

Originally Posted by maxximuscool View Post
I heard that Snapdragon doesn't have a DSP. Which explained why it is less powerful in term of processing graphical vertices.
Nonsense. DSPs mostly help with processing video and audio. 3D is entirely dependent on the integrated 3D core, and the PowerVR is more powerful than what's built into the snapdragon.

Lack of a DSP would mean relatively poor video decoding performance.

If this thing has vsync (which maemo doesn't) it will be a downright finger in the face to Nokia. As long as maemo lacks vsync it isn't "fully functional" in my opinion. (Unless you can tolerate constant image tearing. To which I ask would you tolerate this on your desktop PC?) /rant