I used an Android device for about a week a few months ago and was pretty underwhelmed by the experience, and it seemed impossible to customize the things I wanted to customize. Despite this experience I just bought a Droid 2 Global because work was insisting I get a device that I can use with my work email (Exchange) when I'm traveling and at conferences, and the D2G seemed like the best option available on Verizon (with whom I get a big discount).

Now that I bought it I'm having some second thoughts. I actually like my dumbphone, it is 4 years old, but works great and is pretty darn indestructible, plus I like having a phone that I don't have to charge everyday. So I'm wondering if a tablet exists that I could get just a data package with instead, and continue using my phone as a phone?

* Ideally it should be pocketable (jacket pocket is OK though - basically similar size as N800 although could be a bit bigger)

* Have a hardware keyboard (flexible on this point)

* Needs to have some kind of 3G modem built in, can't spend more than $35 per month for data (work is paying for data connection and that is their limit)

* Would like it to have a good OS (full multitasking, ability to run business productivity software, Exchange activesync, etc...)

Anything like this exist? It needs to be available pretty much right now (taking a trip in early March that I'd need this for).

Need to decide if I should just suck it up and activate the Droid, or return it and pick something else up.

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Yup there is a device which does all of that, and...

Has an FM transmitter.
Has an FM receiver.
Has an IR transmitter for pretending to be a TV remote
Has 32GB built in mass storage
Has a MicroSD slot for expanding storage (currently upto 32GB)
5MP camera (HDR capable via extra software)

I could go on, but yup it's the N900, but it is about the only thing out there which meets your requirements.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

Originally Posted by gazza_d View Post
Yup there is a device which does all of that, and...

Has an FM transmitter.
Has an FM receiver.
Has an IR transmitter for pretending to be a TV remote
Has 32GB built in mass storage
Has a MicroSD slot for expanding storage (currently upto 32GB)
5MP camera (HDR capable via extra software)

I could go on, but yup it's the N900, but it is about the only thing out there which meets your requirements.
Except as far as I know I can't get just a data package with it in the U.S? Also the screen is a bit small for my taste, really want something between 4" - 6"

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
Yes you can get just a data plan, on either AT&T (2G only) or Tmobile (3G and "4G").

Nothing you can really do about the screen size though. I do find it acceptable for the most part, but I too would prefer a 4-5" screen. There really is no alternative out there, unless you want to suck it up and use Android. Then I would recommend the Dell Streak (which should be a getting a working Honeycomb port soon).

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Originally Posted by cfh11 View Post
Yes you can get just a data plan, on either AT&T (2G only) or Tmobile (3G and "4G").
Do you know the details of the t-mobile data only plan? All I could find on their site was a $50 per month plan which they said was for Windows Mobile phones.

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
http://www.t-mobile.com/shop/plans/C...d&uid=Shop_2_4

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

Thanks. Don't know why I wasn't able to find that the first time I went to the site. $40 is getting closer to what my work will pay, might have to see if they will let me bump that up a few dollars a month. If they had an international data plan like they do for the Blackberries it would be a lot more tempting though.

Posts: 1,296 | Thanked: 1,773 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Budapest, Hungary
Look around and see Archos's internet tablets. They have many of them with different sizes and capabilities. People also ported MeeGo to Archos devices.

I tend to like Archos 5 and Archos 43, although I've never used any of them. Downside: they don't have any phone connection.

Last edited by Venemo; 2011-02-14 at 20:22.

No data (wifi only), and runs Android, but 5" screen:
http://www.electronista.com/articles...f.the.4.model/
I think it would be a very nice toy, especially if you get one of those 3G hotspot thingies.

Posts: 96 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
Check out the Viliv N5.

clamshell form factor
1.3Ghz CPU (atom)
Windows 7 OS (put any x86 OS on it you want)
4.8" 1024 X 600 screen
32GB SSD
GPS
1.3MP cam
Optical mouse
HSPA option
‘Up to’ 5 hours battery life.
399gm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mrN6SFslTw

I think the N5 is the only device right now that meets all your spec requests; not even the N900 meets the screen size requirement.

Last edited by alcalde; 2011-02-15 at 06:17.

The Following User Says Thank You to alcalde For This Useful Post: