Active Topics

Posts: 85 | Thanked: 25 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Bilbao, Spain
Hi guys,

I've been definitely thrown away from Maemo by Nokia itself. My N900 crashed some weeks ago (due to serious problems in its touch screen, never ever responsive) and Nokia Care's answer is to provide me with an E7 (back to Symbian again, but surely my last Nokia device). After having checked TMO for a solution to my problem, no solution was found, but to take my device to Nokia Care Centre. It is still in guarantee, but no spare screen digitizers, no more N900 on stock, no possibility to jump up to a N9. This is their frustrating response to me.

As a kind of farewell, I'd like to show my gratitude to this wonderful community, with special thanks to Community SSU. I'd like to mention person by person, but you all know them. I was really charmed with my N900, mostly because of your unvaluable help at any time. You are all GREAT!

I'm not a big loss for you, but you are a big loss for me. I'll miss you a lot. Good luck to all of you! Keep on working altogether!

Bye bye!

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by Zentenario View Post
I'm not a big loss for you, but you are a big loss for me. I'll miss you a lot. Good luck to all of you! Keep on working altogether!

Bye bye!
Every member of the community leaving this way is a big loss for us. After all, without users, what use is a community?

Good luck with Symbian and whatever you move to after that
Eventually communities cross and you'll find a lot of users and devs elsewhere

Hi MAG,

I was actually thinking of you while I was writing my undesired farewell. It's so strong your effort to keep this community alive ... Wish to meet you soon somewhere out there in the open source communities' universe. The strenght of Maemo is not N900 device but right on you and your colleagues, developing hardly and attending to all our suggestions. I'm really sorry to leave you this way.

I'm (was) just a user. Tried most of your developments and that kept me alive. You've done all that I needed and even you keep improving Maemo experience through CSSU.
Good luck, with big letters! You are simply GREAT!

Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
I don't know your needs, but based on your Maemo taste, I suggest to sell the Nokia E7 and buy a Nokia N9. MeeGo 1.2 Harmattan is a lot more similar to Maemo 5 than Symbian Belle.
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Thanks for your answer rcolistete.

But two main problems: first, almost impossible to sell a smartphone in Spain whilst mainstream carriers are giving them for free; second, there's no possibility to get a N9 device here, nor even at free shops.

Posts: 179 | Thanked: 115 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Victoria BC Canada
My friend just ordered a new unlocked N900 from ebay, it was just under $200 US dollars. This may be the best chance of getting one before the supply dries up. I've seen touch screens for around $50 also.

Good luck whatever you do.

You know, don't have to leave TMO just because you have not got a maemo device anymore As said in the posts above, developers will cross paths and this is more likely with the Qt devs. There is always the huge android thread if you finally decide on a phone that OS?

What ever you choose to go with it does not have to be goodbye, the door is always open

Many many thanks for your kind and stimulating replies. Wish you the best .... and ... sure, I'll keep engaged to your cross-platform developments and especially to Qt ones.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
You can buy Lumia 800 and still hang around here

Hi guys, here I go again ... with great news from Nokia (at least for me).
First of all I'd like to thank you for all your messages. Even knowing that I'm not an important piece in this community, you've been all pretty 'peace-of-mind' makers for me.
And now, about the good news. Yesterday I received my new device in replacement of my old bricked N900. After many attempts through the local Nokia Care Centre and the National one to be provided with a new N900 or a N9 instead, there was no more answer than "you'll receive an E7 device. It's Nokia policy". Just at the shop to get the new E7 device what was my great surprise when the assistant takes something hidden into a protective plastic bag instead of a new box packaged device. Then I had to ask him: "what's that?" . "A brand new N900" he answer. I started to jump as a happy child . Definitely, HERE I AM AGAIN, eager to go on testing your wonderfull developments and trying to help with my modest possibilities .