Hi, I am about to buy an n810 and I realy would like to combine it with usb flash drives and possily a solar charger, so i dont need to rely much on the wall charger.

I need simple questons answered about usb OTG.

Are there different usb OTG cables for diffrent devices such as cameras, cell phones , etc. Or Is it just 1 cable for all those devices?

In general, what exactly is it and what do i need to connect usb flash drives and a n810? Is OTG neccessary?

And do I realy need a solar charger? http://www.soldius.com/ourproducts.html

(i rather would like to make a costum solar charger for the the ITs and other devices)

I dont like to carry wall chargers around, and I would like long battery life.

Thanks, and Please Help!

All that's needed to connect USB peripherals is a mechanically suitable cable; this is commonly acheived with the included micro-B (N810) or mini-b (N800) <-> Male A cable, a Female A <-> Female A gender-bender, and whatever Male A <-> whatever cable you would normally use. The latter cable could be no cable at all, in the case of a USB flash drive, mouse, or other peripheral with integral Male A connector.

Using that solution, you will need to use software to select host mode / device mode.

Alternatively, you can use some sort of OTG solution; this may consolidate wiring, and will automatically switch. When you connect to a PC with the included cable, it goes device mode; when you connect the OTG cable, it goes to client mode.

For N800 owners, jolouis is selling beautiful 1-piece Mini-B to Female A adapters, modded for OTG; while some research has been done, I think nobody's been able to find a suitable Micro-B adapter for N810s, so you still need a regular OTG cable, and possibly adapters to mate with whatever peripherals.

The Following User Says Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Oh! Thankyou.
So, all i need is a regular OTG cable and adapters for regular usb flash drives.

Posts: 157 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Oxford, UK
I'd be a bit suspicious of the solar charger. It says output in bright sunlight is 320mA. The supplied charger for the n810 has an output of 890mA, nearly 3 times as much. I've found that chargers with too little power can get the n810 to display 'charging' but the time left still goes down: at least that's my experience with both a USB charging cable and an AA cell charger when the cells aren't brand new.
So, it might work or it might just seem to charge without being effective.

ya, so just use the n810 charger i guess.

Quik question, what kind of adapter would be needed for a regular usb flash drive?

I have the Solio Hybrid 1000

* Nominal DC Output: 3V 1.2A
* Maximum Wattage: 3.6 Watts

while I have not done a full time test it seems to fully charge my N82 and N810....

While they never replied to my questions after purchasing the charger does seem better than most....

http://www.solio.com/charger/explore...tech-spec.html

The Following User Says Thank You to here.david For This Useful Post: