Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Hi Qole, do you have time to report if ooo3 is quicker than ooo2.41 in starting? Thanks

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Colombia
are you gonna keep up with the 15-day release cycle of mer? or is there a way to update the packages w/o losing functionality?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Hi Qole, do you have time to report if ooo3 is quicker than ooo2.41 in starting? Thanks
I've only done a few tests, but no, it doesn't seem to be any faster. Do you know of other reasons why ooo3 is preferable to 2.4?

Originally Posted by [[ cold ]] View Post
are you gonna keep up with the 15-day release cycle of mer? or is there a way to update the packages w/o losing functionality?
Well, Mer has a repository, so "apt-get upgrade" should keep things updated without downloading a new rootfs each time. But I'm going to keep up with Mer's release cycle until I have a package that I'm satisfied with. That is, when I have a final "Easy Mer/Ubuntu" package, it will be based on the most recent Mer rootfs.

Most of the Mer development effort is going into things that aren't terribly relevant to my project, so I don't expect to see huge benefits with keeping current...

EDIT: Looks like I'm skipping 0.9 and I'll be waiting for Mer 0.10, since Stskeeps suggests that they'll begin integrating the Alpha SDK2 into that release...

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-02 at 19:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by STANUL View Post
I use your Easy-Debian Turbo and I like to keep it updated.
Abt 1 week ago I updated 2.4 to 3 and everything was messed up.
I could't start OpenOffice at all.
I tried to uninstall and reinstall, but the new packages were only for 3 so again , no luck.
So I had to download Easy Debian again and update all packages exept Open Office.
So please try to accomodate Open Office 3.
A quick look at the Debian package page for OpenOffice shows that the armel distribution only has 2.4 available.

Stanul: Please explain why you want 3.0; is there a feature in the new version that is missing from the older version?

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I've only done a few tests, but no, it doesn't seem to be any faster. Do you know of other reasons why ooo3 is preferable to 2.4?
It's been said to be quicker than 2.41 but then again on my ubuntu intrepid box seems more or less the same. As far as I know, it opens pdf files, too, for editing, but when I tried it was such a mess. Should open also new M$ docx formats. Might have solved some bugs and introduced some new ones...

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 296 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Finland
I havent gotten the e17 to work in Mer btw. There are some stupid dependency errors

The Following User Says Thank You to meizirkki For This Useful Post:
I did an install of ooo3 on the easy-mer image... install is lengthy and it seemed to stumble a bit at the very end on some "registry" thing being read only. However, I am able to start ooo3 ok.

One problem, upon launching how can we get ooo3 to display an icon on the taskbar? With Abiword there's no problem, it puts an icon on the taskbar ok.

Between Abiword and OOO3, the latter appears a lot quicker and stable at editing large docs, say 30pages.

How come, Abiword is able to use the [hildon input method] virtual keyboard and OOO3 doesn't?

--denis

Last edited by delaroca; 2009-03-03 at 10:50.

OpenOffice needs at least the GTK package installed, possibly the Gnome package. You'll notice that I have everything working in Easy Debian, so it can be done.

Originally Posted by meizirkki View Post
I havent gotten the e17 to work in Mer btw. There are some stupid dependency errors
meizirkki: are you using neatojones' compile-on-device instructions, or are you using his new install-a-list-of-debs instructions?

UPDATE: I dumped neatojones' E17 packages into my repository, and I've posted my install notes here.

Last edited by qole; 2009-03-03 at 18:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
OpenOffice needs at least the GTK package installed, possibly the Gnome package. You'll notice that I have everything working in Easy Debian, so it can be done.
With the GTK package suffices, it seems... both the icon on the taskbar and the hildon virtual keyboard now work.

Thanks,

--denis

Tags
chroot, easy debian, mer, testing, ubuntu