Notices

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
Can someone please build NodeJS for Maemo and put it in the repos. It allows Javascript to be executed as a general purpose programming language outside of the browser using the V8 engine.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to niloy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 105 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ India
knock knock
http://nodejs.org

You can try installing gcc/g++, make etc and compiling it yourself (or cross-compiling). Getting gcc & g++ installed is a bit of a pain, but there are some good guides on google.

You'll also need to (temporarily) increase your /tmp dir size or redirect TMPDIR for gcc - otherwise you'll run out of space.

I have a build running at the moment, it's been running for a couple of hours - fingers crossed it succeeds.

Cross-compiling is probably the way I'd go if I were to start again from scratch.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by nermaljcat View Post
You can try installing gcc/g++, make etc and compiling it yourself (or cross-compiling). Getting gcc & g++ installed is a bit of a pain, but there are some good guides on google.
What way did you manage to find to install gcc/g++ that's actually painful? On the N900 (if you have the sdk repo added), and on most linuxes, "apt-get install gcc" and "apt-get install g++" works just fine? (Just swap in command for your system's package manager, if it's not apt). Cross-compiling, now THAT does get harder to set up.

You'll also need to (temporarily) increase your /tmp dir size or redirect TMPDIR for gcc - otherwise you'll run out of space.
Oh cool, I didn't know you could do that.

I have a build running at the moment, it's been running for a couple of hours - fingers crossed it succeeds.

Cross-compiling is probably the way I'd go if I were to start again from scratch.
You are a very patient individual, apparently. I applaud you.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
What way did you manage to find to install gcc/g++ that's actually painful? On the N900 (if you have the sdk repo added), and on most linuxes, "apt-get install gcc" and "apt-get install g++" works just fine? (Just swap in command for your system's package manager, if it's not apt).
Gaah! really? That would have saved ~3 hours of my life.

I came across the following command, to (temporarily) increase /tmp:
Code:
mount -o remount,size=16M /tmp
http://maemo.org/community/maemo-users/more_tmp_memory/

BTW - compile broke part way through because it was using armv5 config. I used a Raspberry Pi config to set it to armv6 (armv7 wouldn't work for some reason...) - it's now trucking along again.

If it builds, maybe I can tar up the binary and post it somewhere...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nermaljcat For This Useful Post:
Looks like binutils is b0rked (ld doesn't like sysroot option).. trying to compile binutils 2.20 with "--with-sysroot" options. Wish me luck....

The Following User Says Thank You to nermaljcat For This Useful Post:
So... it's kinda built - just fails creating some symlinks (st00pid me trying to build from sdcard...). There is a node binary under <node>/out/Release/node which happily returns a version number :-)

Copying to /opt and will try again - will hopefully have something soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to nermaljcat For This Useful Post:
ok, nodeJS is all built and able to serve up the hello world server on my n900 :-)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nermaljcat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
Originally Posted by nermaljcat View Post
Gaah! really? That would have saved ~3 hours of my life.
Just keep in mind, they're not optified, being meant for the SDK scratchbox environment, rather than the devices directly, so you have to manually optify them if you want to save some rootfs space.

I have scripts that automatically move all the significantly-sized files from them if you'd like. (although I think I have the standard 'include' directory symlinked to /opt by default as part of a different, stuff-that's-on-the-N900-by-default optification script)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
Posts: 5 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2012 @ Lummen (Belgium)
Hi, here is how I got NodeJS compiled: http://krispypen.github.com/blog/201...for-your-n900/