Notices

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 543 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Kiev, Ukraine
Now, how to add game support.
For example, we want to add H.A.W.X. game support (it's added, but as an example). We do have .ipk file named com.gameloft.app.hawx_1.1.5_all.ipk.

First, copy this file to the phone into /home/user/MyDocs/Downloads.
Second, in /usr/share/wgames/gamesinfo/ini/ directory copy any .ini file and rename it to hawx.ini
Third, prepare image named hawx.png with size 450x150 - you can use Gimp or any other editor.
Third, edit hawx.ini and fill only basic fields.

INI format:
Section [Info] (the only section)
Title=HAWX
This key tells the name of the game as it will be presented in manager.

Description="Some detailed description"
Description_ru_RU="Localized description" (and any other locale)
These keys are description as will be shown to user in right column. If you want to provide descriptions on your own language - add localized Description_localeName keys, it will be handled automatically.

Genre=Flight Simulator
Just for the quick look, this key is written under the name in the games' list.

PreviewImage=hawx.png
Preview image, created in the step 2, will be searched in /usr/share/wgames/gamesinfo/images directory.

IPK_Name=com.gameloft.app.hawx*_all.ipk
The filename wildcard by which .ipk file will be searched. This mask allows to specify version-independant files name. If more than one file found, the Manager will try to guess the most recent version.

Space_Required=192
The size required by data directory in MegaBytes. You can fill this key after installing. It used when checking is free space is enough.

ID=com.glu.app.ghero5
This the REGEXP for Game internal ID. Usually it's the same as first part of ipk filename, but that's not the rule. Even more, some games has different IDs with different versions (Monopoly, as an example). So, basically you can try to set this to the value from ipk filename and in case of error, extrace it's value from appinfo.json. Common format of ID is "com.VENDOR.app.TITLE".
If you want to be sure, extract .ipk file in separate directory with command
'ar p FILENAME.ipk data.gz | /usr/bin/gnu/tar xz -C .' and find the file called appinfo.json. Proper ID value will be there.
If you want to use symbols substitution, use regexp ".*", for example "com.ea.app.monopoly.*" - it will match all IDs which may have any additional symbols at the end. Google for 'regexp basics' if not famliar with regexp.

URL=http://www.gameloft.com/palm-games/hawx
Self-explaining. Hope, some day we will put there links to URLs where we can buy games officially.

Now, optional keys.

Notes="some postinstall notes"
Notes_ru_RU="localized postinstall notes" (and any other locale)
Notes, that (optionally) wil be shown after successfull installation. May contain warnings about some game specific bugs/issues/controls/whatever. Localization works in the same way as with Description - simply add _LOCALE_NAME after Notes key name.

Now, you can try to install game via Manager. Hopefully, everything will run OK, then try to launch game. If everything is ok and game is running and playable, you can simply post link (or content) to your ini file and png image here, in this thread.
If not, and game crashes or works improperly, you should find the problem yourself(or search this forum).

Here are some common cases (continue using hawx as an example):
1) Game requires file in /etc/powervr.d/hawx.ini with contents:
"[Default]
ForceExternalZBuffer=0"
In this case, you should create shell script file based on example.sh template:
cp /usr/share/wgames/gamesinfo/hacks/example.sh /usr/share/wgames/gamesinfo/hacks/hawx.sh
and add following command to 'install' case:
echo -e "[default]\nForceExternalZBuffer=0\n" > ${BIN_DIR}/hawx.ini
then, add follwing keys to our ini file:
Preload="PowerVR:BIN_DIR"
Postinstall="hawx.sh"

Here, BIN_DIR will be replaced with path where binary game file is placed (usually /home/user/Games) and DATA_DIR with /home/user/MyDocs/Games).

You can use other scripts and ini files as an example - take a look on avatar.sh and avatar.ini.

2) Game trying to reach some unexistant directory, i.e. '/media/internal' or '/media/cryptofs/apps/....'
Again, use Preload hack, add another rule:
Preload="/media/internal/:BIN_DIR"

This means that all calls to /media/internal will be replaced by BIN_DIR path in runtime.

You can combine PowerVR and directory preloads, like this:
Preload="/media/internal/:BIN_DIR;PowerVR:BIN_DIR"

Currently only two preload rules are supported. If we'll need more, I'll add it.

3) Game requires additional gconf config.
Put all needed commands into the 'install' part of hawx.sh (see case 1).
Keyboard mapping now is done in such a way, but it may change soon.

4) Game requires additional environment variables
There is another key for adding additional variables.
Env=""
See usage for avatar as an example.

5) If you have met some situation which can't be solved with these methods, write here and we'll think about. But, with .sh file you can do almost everything.

And, finally, the Saves key.
Saves=resfunc/savesdata,resfunc/gamesettings,whatever
If you know the path to saves data, put their names in Saves key. It will enable save backup/restore functionality for this game. The pathes are relative to BIN_DIR/GameName (/home/user/Games/Hawx for our example), and can be comma separated.

If you confident with this config and sure that it will work, you can post it here (along with preview image) and I will include it into the next update, after testing myself.

Thanks in advance for contributions.

Last edited by divan; 2011-03-10 at 18:56.

The Following 23 Users Say Thank You to divan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Originally Posted by julianrome View Post
If someone wants palm pre games let me know, I will give then the links for donwload. Remember that I can not put the links in the forum, but I can be delivered via PM.
From the rules:
"Attaching, posting links to, or otherwise promoting pirated or illegal software is contrary to the purposes of the community and its forum"

Posts: 10 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ new york
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
From the rules:
"Attaching, posting links to, or otherwise promoting pirated or illegal software is contrary to the purposes of the community and its forum"
thanks for telling me, I completely did not read the forum rules.

downloaded 0.6.8
I can see the 'play' button but it doesn't work
I still have issues with cannot parse JSON (with speed forge, hawx, blades of fury) Avatar, Giant robots, guitar hero, earthworm jim works fine.
Edit: ok, if I reinstall play button works

Posts: 13 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Stip , Macedonia
works like a charm for me ..big thanks

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 543 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Kiev, Ukraine
Originally Posted by phap View Post
I still have issues with cannot parse JSON (with speed forge, hawx, blades of fury)
Hmm.. Can you please PM me and write full filenames of .ipk files for these games?

Posts: 334 | Thanked: 94 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Ireland
I cant how much i love this app...you have made what was lets face it an awful and tricky experience of getting preveen working at least for non programmers into a joy.

Now I wonder, if WebOs can make games work, would the same be true of the apps, dare i ask could we get the Palm Twitter client to work or Facebook client ?

Thanks for the great work

The Following User Says Thank You to colm.smyth For This Useful Post:
Posts: 155 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
@ divan .. thanks for the info.. reloaded wgames and correct my download dir. and it worked just fine..thanks nice app..

Posts: 257 | Thanked: 205 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Sydney, Australia
I have done a screeny (well nicked a screeny, see explanation in post below) and .ini for scrabble. No scripts needed. Installed and runs fine on my device.

The image and the .ini are both in the zip file.

Not sure about the Size= field so I just left what was in the previous one.
Also, I didn't add any other languages and I was sure google translate would be correct so I left that out too.
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: zip scrabble.zip (92.8 KB, 188 views)

Last edited by shazosbourne; 2011-03-11 at 22:18.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to shazosbourne For This Useful Post:
Second, check if file /home/user/.config/menus/hildon.menu exists. It should be similar to /etc/xdg/menus/hildon.menu file. Mine contains such strings:
Code:

<AppDir>/usr/share/applications/hildon</AppDir>
<AppDir>/home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon</AppDir>
<DirectoryDir>/usr/share/applications/hildon</DirectoryDir>
<DirectoryDir>/home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon</DirectoryDir>

I suppose you don't have such file or it does not contain such lines, and I wonder why..
I didn't have the lines with /home/user/.local/share/applications/hildon/
So I added them and it work now for the icons
Maybe you should add this in the first post for those who has this problem

Originally Posted by divan View Post
Hmm.. Can you please PM me and write full filenames of .ipk files for these games?
com.gameloft.app.blades_1.0.2_all.ipk
com.gameloft.app.hawx_1.1.5_all.ipk
com.palmdts.speedforge_1.0.0_all.ipk

Last edited by phap; 2011-03-11 at 07:23.

Tags
easy to manage, games, lame idea, preenv, runs crappy