Active Topics

Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by bugelrex View Post
No. This is the real world, not some school.
If you do a poor job and release half finsihed products when your competitors are pushing out stable, high-quality looking apps.. you deserve what you get.

In anycase, I think its only the Symbian guys getting the chop, Elop still "intends" to release one Meego device. For those who are left, this is their warning and its not a joke..

If the Meego phone is as smooth/fast as the iphone, apps written that look professional, easy dev tools.. it will sell better than the Nokia WP7 phone. Its supposed to be released first anyway?
I still do not understand!
WM7 doesn't have the necessary feature set yet. Nokia+WM7 will not be ready anytime soon.
Even after this reduced investment (on MeeGo), Elop says one MeeGo device will be released this year. Now, just ask him to increase spending/resources on it and they might be able to release a device in the 3rd quarter itself.
2011 3rd quarter is way better than sometime in 2012 (possibly Dec 31st 2012). MeeGo will also have 2 major updates by then (MeeGo had planned for 6 months upgrades).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 3,715 | Thanked: 7,419 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bize Her Yer Trabzon
Just like I said..... Microsoft's Strategy: If you can't beat them, join them.....

And they are doing it literally....

The Following User Says Thank You to HtheB For This Useful Post:
Posts: 74 | Thanked: 142 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Chicago, US
Originally Posted by sachin007 View Post
I am sure the me ego phone will be top class. The 2 problems I anticipate are

1. Lack of app support because qt is being left.
2. No nokia big time push due to lack of funding as it will compete with wp7

Sounds familiar - n900
Let's see what will happen. Hopefully it will be easy for developers to port existing Qt based applications over to meego, so there should be quite a few apps. Then we should be able to have most Maemo applications that we have today. And then, hopefully Alien Dalvik will be free or cheap, so we can have most existing Android apps.

..it would be really funny to see Elop getting the foot when regular users start buying Nokias meego device because they feel it is superior and has better application support than Nokias WP7 phones.

The Following User Says Thank You to pinsh For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
You've stepped into the comedic zone now.
Dear Gerbick, I've been on the same page with you longer than I care to remember so I'm more than surprised how you can see any positives in this MS-Elop manouvre.

The best chance we all had for a free (as in libre) and open platform(s) for key communications platform (i.e mobile) was just flushed down the toiled by this former MS-brother. OSS, Europe, Finland, Linux, Meego, Qt... all IMO positive and constructive factors still remaining in today's technology scene all stabbed in the back and left to die by this one single MS-canuck (and I do like canucks although all my past experiences with them in the tech field have been catastrophic and sometimes with MS pulling the strings behind the curtains!)

Wrt. little northern Finland, where internet chat, Linux, mobile phones etc. hail from, that country deserved better. Much better. It's a neutral, peace-loving country which has already suffered far more than its fair share over the centuries... during WWII the US gave massive military aid to Stalin who kept trying to invade... Finland somehow kept them at bay but had to afterwards surrender key territories to the USSR besides paying massive war reparations to the invaders! They rebuilt the country, kept focusing on education and from the ashes Nokia was reborn. Much of the country's high-tech economy was built around Nokia and its vast network of subcontractors.

In one fell swoop Mister Flop has devastated not only years' worth of Finland's GDP (like Stalin during and after WWII) but also the hopes (by any rational neutrals around the globe) of a decent, trustworthy and secure mobile OSS platform for the present and next generation of humans everywhere. Even the enlightened section of Americans should feel very worried.

I simply can't believe you're OK with this ms-winmo nuclear move. Identity theft?

I just came back after enjoying three stiff drinks so I'm still hoping I'm going to wake up tomorrow and this has all been just the worst nightmare I ever had...

The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Peet For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
How is Nokia's current condition Elop's fault?

Sure, he may have just pulled the trigger on a dying horse... but someone else put the horse into that condition.
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ysss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Isn't Canada the 51st state of USA?
No, that's the UK.

My website

GitHub

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 726 | Thanked: 497 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Gravesend, UK
Originally Posted by mrojas View Post
Yeah, if the strategy is not successful, he will be shown the door; but considering the way Nokia's eggs are in this basket, if the strategy doesn't work, by that point Nokia may be close to Chapter 11...

I still can't believe how limited Windows Phone 7 is. I think it has even less features than S40!
Blimey, is there anything the phone can do?

That's unbelievable.

Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Great summary. I wish nokia stock falls to an unbelievable level and they kick elop out.

Originally Posted by Peet View Post
Dear Gerbick, I've been on the same page with you longer than I care to remember so I'm more than surprised how you can see any positives in this MS-Elop manouvre.

The best chance we all had for a free (as in libre) and open platform(s) for key communications platform (i.e mobile) was just flushed down the toiled by this former MS-brother. OSS, Europe, Finland, Linux, Meego, Qt... all IMO positive and constructive factors still remaining in today's technology scene all stabbed in the back and left to die by this one single MS-canuck (and I do like canucks although all my past experiences with them in the tech field have been catastrophic and sometimes with MS pulling the strings behind the curtains!)

Wrt. little northern Finland, where internet chat, Linux, mobile phones etc. hail from, that country deserved better. Much better. It's a neutral, peace-loving country which has already suffered far more than its fair share over the centuries... during WWII the US gave massive military aid to Stalin who kept trying to invade... Finland somehow kept them at bay but had to afterwards surrender key territories to the USSR besides paying massive war reparations to the invaders! They rebuilt the country, kept focusing on education and from the ashes Nokia was reborn. Much of the country's high-tech economy was built around Nokia and its vast network of subcontractors.

In one fell swoop Mister Flop has devastated not only years' worth of Finland's GDP (like Stalin during and after WWII) but also the hopes (by any rational neutrals around the globe) of a decent, trustworthy and secure mobile OSS platform for the present and next generation of humans everywhere. Even the enlightened section of Americans should feel very worried.

I simply can't believe you're OK with this ms-winmo nuclear move. Identity theft?

I just came back after enjoying three stiff drinks so I'm still hoping I'm going to wake up tomorrow and this has all been just the worst nightmare I ever had...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Nokia strategy started to change drastically with the arrival of elope. That's when ANSI, jacks & opk left.

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
How is Nokia's current condition Elop's fault?

Sure, he may have just pulled the trigger on a dying horse... but someone else put the horse into that condition.

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 974 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Ohio
Do you want to know what you can do? It's easy:

Nokia is beholden to its' shareholders, so:

1) Buy Nokia stock, lots of it. It's getting cheaper by the minute.
2) Convince all your friends and family and internet friends to buy Nokia stock.
3) Either attempt to force a new election for board members or wait until the next board election.
4) Vote all the old board members out and install board members favorable to your views.

The newly elected (in a landslide, I suspect) board members will give Elop the boot and demand the new person they hire change direction to whatever direction the shareholders tell the to.

That's how it works. If you don't own stock, you don't get a vote. If the shareholders like the new direction, it will continue. If they don't people high up will lose their positions and new people will be brought in to replace them.

If you don't have stock you don't have a voice.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lemmyslender For This Useful Post:

Tags
buysomethinelse, me ego, megone, naysaying, quit whining