I'm attempting to install the maemo sdk with the GUI installer, but it is not detecting my internet connection (have tried both wired and wireless) and is asking me for proxy settings. I am using this from home so am not connecting through a network that should need proxy settings (i dont think...) I have tried some free proxies on the internet, while they are initially accepted the installation always fails to download the files (i suspect i dont have permissions through the proxy), does anyone know how i would force it to go without a proxy or a good proxy i could use?

Posts: 323 | Thanked: 118 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Australia
Some details on your OS would be handy.
I don't know a heap about proxys but knowing some details should help some people who might know a bit more.

There seems to be problems with the GUI installer...

The py script tries to test for an internet connection by downloading an image, but before the image is served, the connection times out, and so it thinks there's a proxy problem.

If you get past that by changing the script to download an image that is being served correctly... You'll find it crashes when it tries to download: http://repository.maemo.org/dists/fr...dk/Release.gpg

It's starting to really annoy me...

Hi Gary,

The problem resolved itself for me last night. Is it all working for you now?

Hi,

there can occur some problems every now and then due to the server move.

Sorry for the inconvinience.

Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I also read something about a 'sudo cp' command on a file somewhere.

I did this command and the installer worked, do you think that was just coincidence or is the GUI installer a bit quirky?

Or am I just s**t at anything Linux? (I don't mind being told that's the problem)