Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Gweled
— a shiny puzzle game

Download Page | Bug reporting | Package | Homepage

Category: Puzzle | Year: 2004

License: GPL © 2003-2004 Sebastien Delestaing

Gweled is a clone of the popular Bejeweled puzzle game, and comes complete with music and sound effects (and controls to turn them off). It has both timed and untimed play modes, tracks your highest score, and will save and restore your game if you have to take a break for less important activities like sleeping and eating.

Developer's Description
Gweled is a Gnome version of a popular PalmOS/Windows/Java game called "Bejeweled" or "Diamond Mine". The aim of the game is to make alignment of 3 or more gems, both vertically or horizontally by swapping adjacent gems. The game ends when there are no possible moves left.

Links: Community vote for icon | Bejeweled clones for Maemo 5 | Wikipedia on Bejeweled

Versions
Stable, Latest (extras)
Gweled v0.4.3

Gweled has a few options: you can change the type of game from timed to untimed by clicking on the clock icon, disable and enable music by clicking the musical note icon, and completely mute the sound by clicking the speaker icon. The game is automatically saved when you exit, which can be done with the exit button or the Space key.

Warning: There is currently a problem with the media player that causes games with sound to lock up on exit if media player is active.

Changes from last version:
  • Medium font size added and used for game messages.
  • There is now an animation at game end and a 3 second delay before mouse input starts a new game.
  • Increased active area for quit and restart buttons.
  • Changed quit hotkey from Backspace to Space to allow switching away in untimed mode.
  • Changed icon to winner of poll: green emerald.

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-04-02 at 14:28.

The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Possible TODOs and known issues:
  • Portrait mode
  • Media player conflict lockup bug (DO NOT play music with media player while playing Gweled or it will lock up on exit. If this happens, tapping the power button or opening and closing the camera lens is the only way to get out. Should be resolved in PR1.2
  • Banner or help pop-up to describe the autosave and autorestore "pause" feature (which is also why the button says "Restart" after the first time around).
  • Less creaky music toggling
  • More obvious end-of-game message/ delay Animation in 0.4.0, Delay in 4.1
  • Reduce some message lengths to fit in board area. In 4.1
  • Font size/etc. for better visibility In 0.4.0
  • Change exit hotkey to something besides Backspace so that players of non-timed games can Ctrl-Backspace switch away and come back. In 0.4.0
  • Better scoring. Suggestions? Seems like people like it as-is.
  • Better active area for quit button In 0.4.0
  • New icon! In 0.4.0
  • Power gems and Hypercubes. Please raise your hand (or post, which would i guess be more useful) if you want this.
  • Move bonus multiplier under score and make larger?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Last edited by Flandry; 2010-03-30 at 14:25. Reason: New request

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the return of a old favourite from the 770 days! :-)

Posts: 8 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
Great game

what's the difference between this and battleGweled which i have installed?

Gweled allows you to disable timed games, and sound etc. It's a bit more customised.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to horus For This Useful Post:
It pretty much answers this in the description. Gweled has a bit more customizability with both timed and untimed games and toggles for sound and music. As its name implies, Battle Gweled has a network competition mode. They are two adaptations of the same upstream program (click the homepage link to see it).

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?

The Following User Says Thank You to Flandry For This Useful Post:
I love this game!! its almost equal to the one i played in facebook.

Very adictive

dont know if any1 have issue like me, every time i launch the game,there is no sound until i moved 1st gem.

Yup that's the way it works. Probably a simple fix but also not all that big of a deal. On the todo list under "Make music stop/start less creaky".

Tags
bejeweled, fremantle, game, gweled, maemo 5, puzzle