Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by aegis View Post
If I'm carrying a laptop with me I don't need the tablet.
Yes, which means that the tablet needs to replace the functions of the laptop.
As it happens, my laptop has no removable sd card that I'd need to swap with other devices; --> no need for that in the tablet either.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Some people might want to swap cards between devices but I feel that is pretty ancient procedure... once I stick a card in my phone or tablet is pretty much stays there.
Whereas I remove mine regularly as it's the quickest way to get music on to the card on my Mac. Remember that Macs do not support MTP. SFTP is OK too provided your phone has developer mode on and you've installed horndis on the Mac to get USB networking.

A camera is a bit different animal, I have several cards of course that I rotate; when one is full and I have no chance to empty it to my laptop I'll just put it in my pocket and stick in another.
On the evening I will then transfer the goodies to my computer via USB cable, not by putting the card into the computer which has no slot for it anyway

So, what I'd like to see is ability for the tablet to replace my laptop in this scenario; to act as USB master host so I can connect my camera to it, I have no need to swap cards between the devices.
That is fine provided your camera still has battery life and it's how I usually work also with laptops. For a tablet it'd need to support the camera's mtp/ptp mode. You're then backing up your images from your cards using the camera as an expensive card reader. But, where are you backing up too? The tablet has less space than the camera. Do we have external USB drive support yet in Sailfish? And which filesystems?

USB transfer is old school for cameras though. My camera has wifi. There's an android app to control the camera remotely and transfer files. It doesn't work on Sailfish however because I think it sets up an adhoc network between android and the camera. That kind of networking doesn't appear to be supported by Sailfish's android layer.

So as I said earlier, I bought a Sony Z3 compact tablet instead because it works in all of the possible usage modes outlined above already. I'm not happy it's running Android but it's the least bad option and maybe one day Jolla will get out a sailfish port. As a mobile photographers aid it works and Jolla shot themselves in the head here.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Yes, which means that the tablet needs to replace the functions of the laptop.
As it happens, my laptop has no removable sd card that I'd need to swap with other devices; --> no need for that in the tablet either.
Neither does mine. It's an 11" Macbook Air. I use a USB3 card reader Which is also what I use with my Sony tablet and a USB otg cable.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
You're then backing up your images from your cards using the camera as an expensive card reader. But, where are you backing up too? The tablet has less space than the camera. Do we have external USB drive support yet in Sailfish? And which filesystems?
So it looks like you probably cannot ditch your laptop yet, huh?

I was thinking of the use case where you want to quickly upload something (a picture or a video clip) to the net, maybe doing some cropping/rescaling/transcoding before doing that.

Remember that Macs do not support MTP.
Oh wow, really? Maybe you should upgrade to a better operating system. All these people complaining about exFAT being a standard and Jolla won't support it (out of the box) etc, but then an operating system that is ludicrously expensive (well, actually the hardware) that doesn't even support MTP (out of the box) is okay? How do you even connect any device that isn't an iDevice to it? I don't think you can really blame Jolla that their device doesn't work as it should with Fisher-Price computers.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Urgenus View Post
It is Jolla who desided to listen only the loud minority, who does not want Jolla work like every other modern device...

Hmmn. Maybe the loud ones are actually secret agents from Android- or Windows tablet companies who don't want Jolla and Sailfish to become mainstream.
This.

This argument is what's driving me nuts. Folks can post all day long that they don't like the design of Jolla's tablet. That's fine. What's crazy here is when they argue that Jolla tablet isn't sufficiently similar to all the thousands of other tablets out there today. Not that it is inherently worse, but simply that it is different.

If you want a device that is exactly the same as an Android tablet, then honestly, you should just buy an Android tablet. If your top concern is reliability, please do not choose the first tablet designed and built by a startup company using an entirely new OS. If you're looking for the latest & greatest apps, you should check out the iPad.

If the only way for Jolla to go "mainstream" is to slavishly copy every design decision made by the big guys, I see no point for Jolla to exist in the first place...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by nthn View Post
Oh wow, really? Maybe you should upgrade to a better operating system. All these people complaining about exFAT being a standard and Jolla won't support it (out of the box) etc, but then an operating system that is ludicrously expensive (well, actually the hardware) that doesn't even support MTP (out of the box) is okay? How do you even connect any device that isn't an iDevice to it? I don't think you can really blame Jolla that their device doesn't work as it should with Fisher-Price computers.
Oh well... Sorry for being the captain obvious, but...

When Jolla is the size of Apple (or Microsoft), they can push their own standards and 'not support' whatever they want, because manufacturers will try to support them.

Mentioning MTP is quite nice, as it was also made by Microsoft and there were quite a few comments on TMO complaining about Jolla supporting it

Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Mentioning MTP is quite nice, as it was also made by Microsoft and there were quite a few comments on TMO complaining about Jolla supporting it
Exactly, which is why I think it's completely stupid to say "man, **** Jolla for not supporting *proprietary standard* supported by Apple, but I have no problem whatsoever with Apple not supporting *other proprietary standard* that is supported by Jolla". Consistency, please.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Oh well... Sorry for being the captain obvious, but...

When Jolla is the size of Apple (or Microsoft), they can push their own standards and 'not support' whatever they want, because manufacturers will try to support them.
Ah. So, all devices not (a) designed by Apple or Microsoft, or (b) slavish copies of devices designed by Apple or Microsoft, are an automatic fail?

Just when did this become obvious? (And why should I want to live in a world where this is obvious?)

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Ah. So, all devices not (a) designed by Apple or Microsoft, or (b) slavish copies of devices designed by Apple or Microsoft, are an automatic fail?

Just when did this become obvious? (And why should I want to live in a world where this is obvious?)
Mind = Blown

How did you get this out of my post will likely remain a mystery till the end of time

EDIT:
To elaborate... I was reacting to a post saying "why to blame Jolla when even Apple doesn't support standards" (I am not gonna dig into whether MTP is a standard) by arguing that you cannot compare a small company to a large one. You might not want to live in this reality, but it is a fact that companies support iPhone rather than iOS supports other companies. I never said it was good, but that's just how it is.

Anyways, back to the original discussion:
This thread became a nice practice for the "hey, let me show you why it is great that you cannot transfer files from your camera to the tablet, because you have been doing it wrong all along", but the point was: it was a stretch goal, possibly thousands of people have contributed to reach the stretch goal and then many of those or other bought the tablet because this feature was promised. That is the problem.

EDIT 2: Just read pichlo's comment after my edit and 100% agree. I don't use Windows, I do not have cards larger than 32GB (yet), I did not buy the tablet for this reason. But I am sure many people did and they are not likely to appear on TMO to raise their concerns.

Last edited by nodevel; 2015-01-30 at 10:47.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:

Tags
indiegogo, jolla, jolla tablet