They've just updated the post with a short FAQ: https://blog.jolla.com/sony-xperia-project-update/

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
...to get the OS out there, on more devices, tested.
I repeat my question, would Jolla be breaching any law if they provide official support to Community Ports. If yes, would paying money, say some kind of fees make it legal??

Originally Posted by MikeHG View Post
I'd guess they're going to charge us more or less exactly what they have to pay to Myriad etc. for licenses
If they have to pay to Myriad to get license, can Jolla also ask for an upgrade to the latest android version, for a higher fee, of course!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
Yeah, android 4 vm nowadays should be free as almost obsolete.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lantern For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
I repeat my question, would Jolla be breaching any law if they provide official support to Community Ports. If yes, would paying money, say some kind of fees make it legal??
Without actually knowing anything at all about the situation, as someone already mentioned, what you would be (probably) paying for is:
  • automated installer
  • support service (OS updates) by Jolla
  • licensed packages like Alien Dalvik, Nokia Maps, etc (maybe some codecs, exfat support?)

One example: A Linux distribution that sells an "upgraded" version of itself and the packages are gpl: https://zorinos.com/download/

EDIT: Seems Zorin "Ultimate" requires donation to download. So there's a "difference"
Maybe more apt comparison would be Red Hat?

Last edited by Thoke; 2017-06-30 at 15:34.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by salamisami View Post
Well damn, I guess I'm gonna get me a Xperia X Compact and play the wait game for Sailfish OS. Maybe I can learn to live with Android for the time being. Really don't want a big phone, IMO N9 was the perfect size.
Most of the time, I carry around my OnePlus X running SFOS. It's within ~1 mm of the published dimensions of the Xperia X, which I find to be about the maximum size I can comfortably carry around without adjusting my wardrobe to accommodate my phone. I tried the OnePlus One, but that extra diagonal half-inch of screen size made it too large for many of my pockets. The big screen is nice with my arms getting a little shorter every year (or maybe it's my eyes), but it doesn't do me any good if I have to leave it at home.

So I'm gonna carefully consider an Xperia X with SFOS if it happens. It's not that much better than the OnePlus X, but US network compatibility is more complete. The better camera would be a plus, too, if its capabilities were fully supported in the SFOS version.

The N9 size was really nice. And without the need for hardware buttons below the screen, it seems a little bigger than it is. I estimate that both Xs could be a centimeter shorter if those weren't needed, but you've got to have them in a phone designed for android, right?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
Without actually knowing anything at all about the situation, as someone already mentioned, what you would be (probably) paying for is:
  • automated installer
  • support service (OS updates) by Jolla
  • licensed packages like Alien Dalvik, Nokia Maps, etc (maybe some codecs, exfat support?)
IIRC predictive text input is also licensed from someone.

Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
One example: A Linux distribution that sells an "upgraded" version of itself and the packages are gpl: https://zorinos.com/download/

EDIT: Seems Zorin "Ultimate" requires donation to download. So there's a "difference"
Maybe more apt comparison would be Red Hat?
RHEL (Red Hat Enterprise Linux) is actually also 100% open source (which is one of the reasons CentOS exists). What you are actually paying with the subscription is:
  • access to support (both the "stuff doesn't work" and "it would be really nice if you could add feature X" kind)
  • access to updates & security fixes
  • API stability guarantees
  • software certifications
  • long term (10+) support for major version releases
  • making sure the company that makes your OS can both maintain and improve it

I wonder if something like this could improve the current information in the field of mobile devices and their operating systems. The current situation basically motivates device manufacturers and OS vendors to make people buy a new device regularly, as they only ever get money from people when they buy a new device (discounting some provisions from adds and paid app sales in app stores). So they don't release updates after a while - including critical security updates, release updates that make perform badly on older devices, etc.

With a subscription model both hardware manufacturers and OS vendors would have an incentive to not drop support as long as enough people with a given piece of hardware are subscribed.

Still the question is if enough people would be willing to accept paying for an ongoing OS subscription given that they are used to the current model where you get the OS for "free".

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 118 | Thanked: 218 times | Joined on Jan 2014 @ India
Originally Posted by robthebold View Post
The N9 size was really nice.
Never owned a N9, but have seen Nokia Lumia 800 used by a friend.. The size that I would always go for if I had an option!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meet.vino For This Useful Post:
From updated blog post;

The target is that the price will include an officially supported release of the Sailfish OS, including mandatory 3rd party licenses.
Sadly, i dont want Alien Dalvik, which is probably expensive. And seems to be part of a complete deal.
Was hoping that an option would be to pay for the "basic" OS

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
This thread makes me sad.

A few years ago and this sort of announcement would have seen 50 pages in a day or two easy. Now barely anyone even cares and a lot of the comments are negative.

If people don't like a paid for release of Sailfish, that's fine because you can pick your poison, Google or Apple. These two control 99.8% of the smartphone market today.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to NokiaFanatic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
jolla is supporting single sim x device,,,,what a bummer. intex aqua fish is already useless to people in India beacause it doesnot supports VOLTE , there are sim issues, network issues, reboot issues, browser issues and most Indians buy dual sim device so i highly doubt that Indians will buy or support this. kudos to geeks and gurus for supporting this incomplete OS. even i am supporting jolla because i am using fish as a primary device ( i am broke as hell).

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to hardy_magnus For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x