Engadget does not like Nokia. They made it pretty clear during a mobile summit when they spoke with Jon Rubinstein.

Watch for yourself - Start at 55 mins...

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/17/t...er-ipod-event/

I would would expect nothing but a bash from these guys.

Last edited by maven1975; 2009-11-17 at 04:44.

Originally Posted by Rushmore
Seems an option would be to provide a more phone centric UI profile that includes things mentioned above. If you do not want it, don't use the profile.
Yes, I don't know why Nokia left out the phone features you mention. I certainly agree that people looking for a smartphone and not understanding the N810, etc., heritage of the N900, could be disappointed. I just think Nokia is marketing the N900 as a smartphone, has conceived of it that way, and intends it to lay the groundwork for future Maemo based smartphones, for better or worse, whether the N900 is up to the job or not.

To me the lack of call and end buttons is the biggest stumbling block. It's almost as if Nokia deliberately left out a couple features found on the N97/N97-mini, so they wouldn't be too much in competition with each other. It also would have made a lot of sense to have the same tilt up screen sliding form factor on the N900.

Posts: 296 | Thanked: 126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ New York City
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
They keep calling it a smartphone, but this probably mirrors the perception of over half of the people that have preordered the N900. The device features are truly dead sexy. Smartphoners perhaps are being blinded by its beauty
The guy clearly said it isn't a real smartphone because of the landscape issue...

I for one find accelerometer based re-orientation very irritating most of the time and am pretty sure I will find it's absence refreshing.

Posts: 4,384 | Thanked: 5,524 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ ˙ǝɹǝɥʍou
Omg, not all reviewers out there have to take the same stance as Nokia fanboys, y'know..
Agro ... : [###-------] | Relic(s) : iPhone 4S, Atrix, Milestone, N900, N800, N95, HTC G1, Treos, Zauri, BB 9000, BB 9700, etc

Follow the MeeGo Coding Competition!

honest question: why do you guys NEED a hardware call and end call button?

Originally Posted by archzai View Post
Obviously any button related function could be reproduced on the touch screen. But I find it convenient to have a few dedicated buttons for some of the most basic elements of a phone, like, well, the phone. It's like a shortcut. In the rush of answering a call, it can be easier to find a button. It's locatable by touch and doesn't necessarily require looking at the screen. It's a quick way to launch the phone application. It's a quick way to end a call, even if the screen has been switched to another application for some reason (to look something up during a call perhaps).

You know, why have any dedicated buttons for anything? Unlock? The camera? Volume rocker? It's just about a certain basic level of convenience for basic functions. I still consider the phone to be one of the most basic elements of a phone.

It's a little bit like professional video cameras (or still cameras for that matter). They have lots of dedicated buttons and switches. It's low end cameras that are completely driven by an on-screen interface. A lot of people find interacting with a screen for every function less useable.

Anyway, that's my preference.

Originally Posted by archzai View Post
Because we have cars and need to have the eyes on the road?

Originally Posted by volt View Post
Actually, that is one reason that is definitely not amongst my reasons. I don't talk on the phone and drive. Once again I'm surprised how openly people acknowledge doing this, as if it's perfectly fine, despite the ample evidence that it's exceptionally dangerous (i.e. people drive as poorly when talking on the phone, even with a handsfree headset, as drunk drivers).

Posts: 103 | Thanked: 45 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Istanbul, Turkey
Originally Posted by volt View Post
Even pedestrians need hardware keys while walking in a busy street...
|[ Maemo 5 101 / Maemo 5'e Giriş ][ Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) / Sık Sorulan Sorular (SSS) ]|
If I can help with anything else, just ask / Yardımcı olabileceğim birşey varsa, sormaktan çekinmeyin

The Following User Says Thank You to gecebekcisi For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by phi View Post
sure, no fingerprints, but finger-nailing a screen will surely scratch it up eventually.
After using the N810 for quite a while, I don't see that this is a problem.

Using the finger: HAVE scratched it, due to a corn of sand on the screen. Would have seen it, except there was a big finger in the way, pressing it down. Also, makes the device full of finger fat, eww. The N810 isn't the easiest to clean either, with the immersed screen.

Using the nail: No scratches, no smudges. And much more accurate. Styluses, nails and toothpicks FTW.

Srsly. For twenty years I've been telling people not to finger my PC screens, and all of a sudden, a screen that's not full of finger marks is considered old fashioned? Get your fatty fingers off my screen! Consider what you're doing to your eyes, reading blurry screens...

I prefer a clean, non-fatty screen over designer glasses, any day.

The Following User Says Thank You to volt For This Useful Post: