Posts: 128 | Thanked: 232 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ New Jersey, USA
I'm having an issue with Nokia's Remote Device Access (RDA),

I first grab my code's .deb (Arm not x86, but since it's python/PyQt it shouldn't matter) from garage.maemo.org's autobuilder

I click on the RDA's Install Software button, and after a length of time I get the following error halfway through the install:

Code:
Error while installing to phone:
dpkg crashed with exitCode0
[OK]

If I open up a terminal in RDA and run from root:
Code:
dpkg - i [packagename]
I get the following error:
Code:
dependency problems prevented configuration...

So I have unmet dependencies, this isn't a surprise, but it would seem that the Install Software Button just calls dpkg -i.

That said, if I were to run
Code:
apt-get --fix-missing install
All dependencies (python2.5-qt4-gui, etc); will be installed as expected.

My code has been in extras-devel for 2 months now, I've made quite a few development releases and have had no problems installing it on either the SDK, New Devices or Re-flashed devices, ranging from PR1.0-PR1.2.

I'm writing this because I'd like to submit to Nokia's Calling All Innovators Contest, and installing/running on RDA is a partial requirement. I can only submit a deb file and cannot submit a repository or .install file, so I'm in a bit of a bind.

I now assume that my py2deb build file is incorrect I currently have.
Code:
p.depends = "python2.5, python-dbus, python2.5-qt4-gui, python2.5-qt4-core, python-Imaging, python-support"

I've read through this thread but considering the date this is based on PR1.0, should I try loading gnome-python, or is there a force --fix-missing command I can issue in my post install script?

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

a little bump...

Well I got a reply from nokia Tech support which didn't seem to help much.

>So I have unmet dependencies, this isn't a surprise, but it would seem that
>the *Install Software* Button just calls dpkg -i.

There might be room for improvement in the RDA's "application installer" feature for N900 (at least make it provide more meaningful error messages when the installation fails). We'll have to investigate this.

Other than that this does not seem like a RDA related issue. I'm not an expert on this subject (py2deb packaging), so you should hopefully get more helpful answers on Forum Nokia DiBo or on Maemo.org DiBo. But clearly one of the dependencies would appear to be broken. Seems like adding gnome-python dependency worked for the other guy in the maemo.org DiBo topic you linked. So you could at least try if adding that to the dependencies list would make a difference.

BR,
FN RDA support
Not that I use either in my application nor does it have any effect on the install (I tried), but wouldn't I really want hildon-python not gnome-python???

Last edited by lostinmirkwood; 2010-06-09 at 18:42.

Posts: 324 | Thanked: 371 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver, BC
I tried the RDA's installer this week-end as well, and it didn't pull any dependencies either, it just installed the .deb and left it unconfigured. "apt-get -f install", as you found, was required to get it all installed. I think it's just a limitation in their installer, and even if it's possible to add that command in the postinst of the package, I don't think it's something that should be done.

The Following User Says Thank You to Slocan For This Useful Post:
Ahh great to here that. As long as it wasn't just me going crazy about this.

The Following User Says Thank You to lostinmirkwood For This Useful Post: