Active Topics

Notices

What I'm trying to do is use VNC through an SSH tunnel.
I've looked all over this thread- http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ustom+port+ssh
What I did was set up port forwarding for BOTH 5900-5900 and xxx-xxx (custom port.) I'm using a dynamic dns service that points to my IP addy.

I could already go into VNC without a problem. Going with SSH has driven me crazy though.

As per the guide, I set up copssh (to the best of my ability) but it won't let me create and add keys (not sure if that even matters.) The ports match up for both copssh and the vnc client (using tightvnc.)
This is what I get outputting from the Xterm when I try to run it all.

Code:
debug1: Reading configuration data /etc/ssh/ssh_config
debug1: Applying options for *
debug1: Connecting to -user- port xxx.
debug1: Connection established.
debug1: permanently_set_uid: 0/0
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/identity type -1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id_rsa type-1
debug1: identity file /root/.ssh/id-dsa type -1
debug1: ssh_exchange_identification: RFB 003.008
After that, it sits. I tried opening VNC Viewer to connect but it is unable to do so with localhost:1.

Not sure what to do now. Apologies if there is not enough info. It's been a long day and I thought I had this figured out but I guess not.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Edit: Machine is Win7 64 bit.

Last edited by cincibluer6; 2011-08-25 at 02:30.

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
You're trying to ssh in to the VNC port. The ssh server needs to be on a different port than VNC, and that's the one you'll need to ssh in to.

Alright, well, I have copssh listening on port xxx and I ssh with this
Code:
ssh -L5901:127.0.0.1:5900 your.ip.add.ress -lWinUsername -p xxx -v
I assume that's right because I'm going for port xxx while trying to VNC into the 5900 port right?

So afaict, since copssh is on the xxx port and my vnc (for now) is on the standard 5900 port, it should be working right?

Posts: 3,617 | Thanked: 2,412 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Cambridge, UK
Originally Posted by cincibluer6 View Post
Alright, well, I have copssh listening on port xxx and I ssh with this
Code:
ssh -L5901:127.0.0.1:5900 your.ip.add.ress -lWinUsername -p xxx -v
I assume that's right because I'm going for port xxx while trying to VNC into the 5900 port right?

So afaict, since copssh is on the xxx port and my vnc (for now) is on the standard 5900 port, it should be working right?
That should be okay, yes, but ssh is definitely getting to the VNC server (hence the RFB 003.008 in the debug output). That would suggest that either the VNC server is listening on port xxx (in which case you should get an error when starting copssh), or you're port forwarding port xxx on your router to port 5900 on your PC.

The Following User Says Thank You to Rob1n For This Useful Post:
Edit: Figured it out. Pretty stupid mistake on my part but I'll post for anyone who has trouble in the future. Everything was set up right except for the ssh_config and sshd_config in copssh. I had edited the port but forgot to uncomment the line to make it work.

Overlooked something simple and it made me pull my hair out.

Thanks Rob1n for the help.

Last edited by cincibluer6; 2011-08-27 at 15:09.

Now I can't figure out why it won't accept my password. It is saying invalid user in the copssh logs and I think it may be because I didn't specify my domain (simple computer name) along with the user name.

In copssh, it says the user is domain\user. For the code, I just need to know how to get it to reflect that I guess. "\" refuses to show up correctly if I simply enter it in "domain\user"
I can't seem to find how to get the terminal to reflect that right.

Guess some more research is needed or I'll have to figure out how to use the keys with it (which should be better for security anyway.)

Last edited by cincibluer6; 2011-08-27 at 20:03.