Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
Never in my life with smartphones have I actually used replacement batteries. It's good to know a battery can be changed if I need to do it, but in the end I always replaced the phone before I used the spare battery I bought with it (in the early years).

I assume 99.99% of the consumers don't see any use for a replacement battery nowadays.
I believe that is true, but personally, my battery capacity is dissolving much faster than those 99.9% of users, probably because I am using the device to the max.
So, that most users may never need a spare battery, should not equal not being able to find one.

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I assume 99.99% of the consumers don't see any use for a replacement battery nowadays.
Yeah but I very much doubt that % is true for the sort of users buying the Jolla.
Not even sure of the definitiveness of the % itself; anyway we prolly digress too much.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Never in my life with smartphones have I actually used replacement batteries.
I had 3 in my N900 and regularly used to carry 2 with me because it barely got through half a day on 1 battery. How anyone could use that for a daily driver was beyond me. I also had a replacement for my E71 as after 2 years it wasn't lasting as well as it did. My C7 also needed a new battery after about 2 years.

My N9 probably needs a new internal battery as that lasts about 2/3rds what it used to. I carry a spare external battery just in case for that. I've a dead Lumia 800 that I might pull the battery from and swap.

My Jolla thankfully seems to have awesome battery life. I'd not be too concerned with going two days without charging. However, at some point the battery life will diminish and there's always edge cases where some buggy app decides to drain charge. And as I mentioned earlier, charging by pedalling a bicycle is my weird usage case where a spare battery would be handy especially if I've used GPS a lot that day.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post:
Posts: 861 | Thanked: 936 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Bulgaria
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Scary indication of what sales may or may not be like if they're only getting ~100 requests for replacement/backup batteries...
Then again, prolly only tiny subset of owners actually use TJC, & of that subset, prolly only ~half of them have an interest/concern about battery (for now).
TJC has only approx. 4500 users, so 100 is not small part. And these are only the people who actually expressed their need. Many others will do it(buy battery) if it was possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to zlatko For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by zlatko View Post
TJC has only approx. 4500 users, so 100 is not small part. And these are only the people who actually expressed their need. Many others will do it(buy battery) if it was possible.
But you must also take into account that voting costs nothing, unlike buying a battery.
I've voted for that issue because I think it would be nice to have such possibility, but it doesn't mean I'd buy it right away (maybe in a year or so, if it's really necessary). I guess there are more people like me, so it doesn't reflect the real demand.

I also have 3-4 batteries for my N900 which I'd swap during the day, but Jolla lasts long enough, so I haven't had the need to buy a spare battery yet (the need might come later, but I'm sure it will be available by then).

For cycling and hiking, I have this external battery, but I use it ~1x a year. It's an option, though.

@Nieldk: Here's the cheating reference. By the way, I respect your choice and I am very thankful for all your work on Jolla. I just think people should really calm down and not always expect the worst...

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-08-18 at 21:24.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nodevel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
There is one thing that kinda confuses me - does this mean that the Jolla has a custom made battery ?

I would kinda expect them to just use one of the off the shelf ones or those used by big smartphone manufactures, which should be easily & cheaply available from first or third party sources. It was like this for the N900 (it shared the same battery type with other Nokia phones) and I'm sure there are many other examples.

Or is there some really important specific reason why they would need to roll their own battery with all the possible drawbacks (limited availability, dependency on supplier/tooling, price(?)).

"We can make more money by using battery that is not compatible with anything else and can be bough only from us." <- Is the only thing I can come up with, but it does not sound very convincing, considering Jolla is still not selling replacement batteries 9 months from launch.

The Following User Says Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I saw at least one 'Sailor' lurking in this thread about 9hrs ago, hopefully everything raised will be addressed soon.

Last edited by jalyst; 2014-08-19 at 05:06.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
I saw at least one 'Sailor' lurking in this thread about 9hrs ago, hopefully everything raised will be addressed soon.
Have to say, also on my twitter this raised some attention. So, I do believe they will now listen.
Just sad, that it takes a storm like this

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 337 | Thanked: 891 times | Joined on Jul 2012 @ Royaume Uni.
It's a bit worrying for the long-term future of the device if spare batteries can't even be made available. Hopefully Jolla can make this kind of thing available because it would be ridiculous to have to send your device to them of an out of warranty repair if you know the issue is with the battery.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
Have to say, also on my twitter this raised some attention. So, I do believe they will now listen.
Just sad, that it takes a storm like this
In my opinion, the storm was uncalled for. And I cannot imagine them changing business plans because of three people being unkind on twitter. Either it already was on their schedule and we'll see it when it's ready - or not.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:

Tags
battery, jolla, jolla phone