Active Topics

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
How much space does Ubuntu take? Is it possible to install things from the ubuntu repository?

The Following User Says Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
Well...
I am not so sure of that...
I pissed around with it but...only for a few minutes...
and I didn't dig to see if there was a function I needed to start ...somewhere in the guts of PM...
Or it could be my sim card...
Or ...as you say...they haven't gotten telephony stable in it yet...
Wait a cotton picking minute. I asked if it worked, you said yes.

Allow me to ask again, but more clear. Do phone calls, with a working SIM inserted into the device, manage to connect to another living person with also a working device that can accept phone calls work?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
@endso, do you really have to always write a whole essay? Why can't you reply a simple YES or NO?

FWIW, I am still none the wiser what the answer to gerbock's question is. And believe me, I would like to know it too!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 387 | Thanked: 707 times | Joined on May 2015 @ Italy
This turned out in a monologue I find difficult to find some objective information too, that's why I am asking about the memory space requirements.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to claustn For This Useful Post:
OK, so the answer is no.

Forget about "tweaking" and "mucking about". If there is a <software package> provided specifically for <a device> then it should work on said device out of the box, without "tweaking" and "mucking about".

If it does not work out of the box, then it does not work. Simple as that.

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
If a simple yes or no is demanded ...
when I answered it to the best of my ability due to the situation....

then here is a rebuttal...

Have you stopped beating your household pets pichlo?
simple yes or no.
Surely we should distinguish between suggestive, misleading, morally loaded questions where any answer makes you suspect, and simple binary questions that don't carry any extra load.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nthn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
PM on nexus is not "plug and play out of the box"..
there are things that need to be set up...

My examination of it is purely initial and cursory so far.
I am not certain yet that some issues were of my own making, using instruction that I found which could be outdated, my own sim being an issue, or any number of other possible culprits.

Once I have spent enough time with it I will be able to state beyond a shadow of doubt that "yes "x" works" , or "there are issues resolvable in "x", or "no "x" has unresolved issues and doesn't function yet at this time".

If I followed any of the suggested methods found and stopped because it didn't install or run correctly, or I omitted something...
the 1st time trying..
and stopped there saying "well it didn't install properly once "
or
" 'x' didn't run properly once.."
" ergo .."x" doesn't work..."
then my findings would be no better than what is found currently on the web.

don't care for my process of trial and error .
making sure that if there is an issue... it is legitimate ...
and with no
"I don't suggest doing .."x" ...instead do "z" ..for positive results"?..

not a problem...

just want definitive yes or no answers ..to a cursory examination?
yet again..

not a problem..
look to the official write ups on PM on Nexus 5.

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
@endso, do you really have to always write a whole essay? Why can't you reply a simple YES or NO?

FWIW, I am still none the wiser what the answer to gerbock's question is. And believe me, I would like to know it too!
Did you just make me into a type of beer?

These kinds of things really frustrate me because I do not want to take a fully functioning device, replace the OS with something that boots up, but not much else.

Call me weird, but a device that could make a phone call before I altered the OS should be able to do that (and more) afterwards. If I just want a terminal in my pocket, I'll go back to the N810 and keep waiting.

So cutting through all of the words; I read that it is a "No" until otherwise proven. Thanks.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Oh, gerbick, a thousand apologies! Typing on an on-screen keyboard sucks bulls.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 172 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Albuquerque, NM, USA
Originally Posted by claustn View Post
How much space does Ubuntu take? Is it possible to install things from the ubuntu repository?
On UT, in order to install stuff from the ubuntu repos and use xmir, you need to set up a libertine container because the rootfs is read-only by default, and is overwritten with each update.

It's a pain in the butt. Bonus, if even a single package doesn't download properly while initializing the container (possibly because UT suspended your terminal session because you switched to your web browser to surf instead of boring yourself to death watching packages download), the container setup fails, and you get to start all over again. It really sucks. If using xmir, there are also major issues with DPI. Everything is so tiny!

Honestly, just using Android or LineageOS with an Ubuntu chroot, XSDL, and Hacker's Keyboard is less hassle than UT's libertine crap. It's actually easier to get and use software from the Ubuntu repos on Android than it is on Ubuntu Touch, which is shameful.

On PM, it's totally painless, you just need to expand the rootfs file or else you'll run out of space. The PM install scripts come with a script for doing that easily. XWayland is well-integrated, you wouldn't even notice it, except for the few glaring bugs.

Last edited by preflex; 2018-06-04 at 20:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to preflex For This Useful Post: