Notices

How do you create a shortcut for debian Abiword in Personal Menu? I already have one for the maemo version. Can you list the steps? Much appreciated.

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Australia
Hi ,
I just have updated the packages and re-installed Abiword.
Same results- the letters are comming one on top of another.
I launched it directly from chroot as well and same result.
Any help pleeease?!?!?!

Posts: 111 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Sep 2008 @ Singapore
Hi Stanul, I can''t help you further since I'm using N800 and have no problem. I would suggest asking it in the thread 'Easy Debian Turbo Charged Edition' where the author Qole is capable of answering your question (he may not have noticed your problem in this thread). Sorry !

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=24272

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Use the following at your own risk:

I believe the version you are looking for was previously in extras or extras-devel, but was removed to prevent it conflicting with the newer hildonized version. I did search on gronmayer.com/it for abiword and seem to have found a similar version (possibly the same one). Without further ado, here's some instructions to try if you're really hell bent on installing this version of abiword:

Applications Menu -> Settings -> Application Manager. Then open the menu in Application Manager: Tools -> Application Catalog. Click 'New' and make the following repository:
Catalog name: abiword
Web address: http://rickybrent.com/maemo/debs
Distribution: chinook
Components: free non-free

Now find your 'Maemo Extras' repository entry and click 'Edit.' Make sure it looks like this:
Catalog name: maemo Extras
Web address: http://repository.maemo.org/extras
Distribution: chinook diablo
Components: free non-free

Now, let it update the list, then click 'Browse installable applications' and find Abiword. Try installing it. I believe it should install fine, but I didn't have enough space on my N800 to try it. Tell us how it works out.

-John

The Following User Says Thank You to Johnx For This Useful Post:
Thank you Johnx!
Unfo didn't work.
The App Manager reported the new repository (abiword)created as per your instructions failed to refresh.
So the App Manager was still showing abiword 2.6.4-0rp0+pre2 which is the hildon version.
Thanks anyway.

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by STANUL View Post
Thank you Johnx!
Unfo didn't work.
The App Manager reported the new repository (abiword)created as per your instructions failed to refresh.
So the App Manager was still showing abiword 2.6.4-0rp0+pre2 which is the hildon version.
Thanks anyway.
OK, really close to working then. I believe the hildonized abiword is in extras-devel. The repository name will be something like "Testing Maemo Extras." Temporarily disable that repository, then try refreshing again and see if abiword can be installed. Also, after refreshing you might see newer versions of some packages. It's likely best to avoid those, and disable the repository you added once you've installed abiword.

-John

Thanks.
Unfo same release of Abiword was present.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I have noticed this and the other thread that STANUL started about this. However, I don't have any idea why he's having the problems that he cites. I have both maemo abiword and Easy Debian abiword installed on my N800 with no conflicts. My N800 doesn't have a hardware keyboard, however, so maybe there's an issue I'm unaware of.

I mainly use OpenOffice on the tablet, anyway. It is much better at opening Word document e-mail attachments, which is what I use a word processor for on the tablet.

As for donations, if anyone ever wants to donate to me, PM me and I'll give you the e-mail address I use for PayPal.