Poll: What to accept as replacement for N900 under warranty?
Poll Options
What to accept as replacement for N900 under warranty?

Originally Posted by HELLASISGREECE View Post
Between the E7 and the L800, I'd definitely go for the E7.
Better build quality, more features and of course ... a qwerty keyboard!
^This. I still use my E7, all be it only really as a dedicated sat nav as you can no longer get Sygic GPS on Symbian so my 808 is stuck with Nokia Maps and it's awful routing.

E7 is still a cracking device IMO, even after a good couple of years use the battery is fantastic(despite its small size) and the hardware really is something. Physical qwerty is a joy to use and for my taste Nokia Belle is a decent enough operating system(of course would prefer MeeGo but that's another story).

Negatives of the E7, weight(I don't mind this personally but it is heavy due to materials), not the best antenna(again due to materials) and really poor for macro photos(otherwise camera very good!).

The biggest question should be can you live with Windows Phone(I'm not a fan) and to that matter Symbian? I'd choose the E7 with Symbian any day of the week, it's alot better than many reviews suggest.

I'd definitely go for the E7, sell it, then get another N900 or N9.
It's a bit of a dilemma, but that's the way I'd go.

Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
Originally Posted by manojkumaru View Post
Anyway, that is not a bad trade-off. Either way I lose the warranty now or in two weeks, but I will have a working N900, which would just have lost its greater looks due to the workmanship of naive engineers at the care center.
Manojkumaru, you seem to be a person with eye for details,

-do the replacement yourself (borrow their tools)
-or alternatively take all to a 3rd party street repair shop that is more reliable and creative than Nokia repair "engineers"
-as benefit take home your old mother board for repair of USB later and enjoy having a spare at hand

Just suggesting That said, Vi_is correct the E7 still has the most advanced features for power communication use. Good luck ...

The Following User Says Thank You to ste-phan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 116 | Thanked: 44 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Chennai, India
Originally Posted by Tetlee View Post
The biggest question should be can you live with Windows Phone(I'm not a fan) and to that matter Symbian? I'd choose the E7 with Symbian any day of the week, it's alot better than many reviews suggest.

This is the answer I am still searching for. I don't really know if I can live with either of those. Last week I bought a Samsung galaxy S duos, as I couldn't live without a smartphone. But then, it was a pain using it. with 700+ mb RAM, android is a pain. That's when I thought I should learn to live without Maemo now. I just handed over the mobile to my sister. I am now expecting some magic to happen(Like Nokia care agrees to give me back my N900 or replace me with N9/N950, that's why I say 'Magic' ).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to manojkumaru For This Useful Post:
Finally decided to go with an E7, as they are not willing to give me back my N900 I think everything residing in is lost from now The NITDroid and the Debian linux The Nemo image is not gonna be useful to me anymore

The Following User Says Thank You to manojkumaru For This Useful Post:
Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
If you loved maemo, you love the N9. See if you can find someone with one, or watch a few videos. See if it is to your liking. I consider the N9 and the N900 equals.

Sell the E7 to get this, if you chose this route. Easy Debian is still available for the N9, as is Nemo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Storm_11 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post
If you loved maemo, you love the N9. See if you can find someone with one, or watch a few videos. See if it is to your liking. I consider the N9 and the N900 equals.

Sell the E7 to get this, if you chose this route. Easy Debian is still available for the N9, as is Nemo.
So far, I haven't accepted any swap phone. I am still negotiating to get it repaired or replaced with an N900. I have also expressed my desire for an N9. I know it is highly impossible. So, when they confirm their final state, I will choose between E7/Lumia 800. I already started looking for an used N900.

And, coming to selling E7, I think it is difficult to sell a used symbian phone anymore in India. So a better bet would be Lumia 800.

The Following User Says Thank You to manojkumaru For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 2,622 | Thanked: 5,447 times | Joined on Jan 2010
Originally Posted by manojkumaru View Post
Okay, a quick question. What wins? Windows 7.8 or Symbian belle?
For me belle hands-down, due to otg/hdmi out, superb network management, bluetooth file transfer, mass storage, access to the filesystem.

Nemo UX blog: Grog
My website: qwazix.com
My job: oob

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qwazix For This Useful Post:
If they tried to replace my N900 under warranty with an E7, I would throw a fit. Use it? It has nothing on an N900. The N900 was a UP+1 from their flag ship model N97. The E7 is a top nothing. Sell it? It's too old. They are obligated to give you as good or better replacement. From their portfolio that means N9. Maybe they could force an L800 on you... But that's not a top model either.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by vi_ View Post
Believe it or not, nokia does not owe you a truckload of its latest, most expensive ****.

Be glad they are even honouring the warranty.
This is so wrong. A warranty is a legal document, it is part of the contract, and it's protected by law - in addition to national laws that go beyond the warranty. It's not something they can choose not to honour.

When something is sold with a warranty, and the damage is covered by the warranty, they have a legal binding to replace the damaged product with an equivalent or better product. If they cannot, they are breaking the contract, and you can demand your money back.

The problem is that you have to document that the replacement product isn't equivalent or better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post: