Active Topics

Hi all,

I am a frequent reader and user of the Nokia N9. I were one of the first who ordered the Jolla phone, and were looking much forward to receive it - until a few days ago.

I am a big supporter of FOSS and only use it at home, and therefore dont like the way Jolla is holding back the informations.

They know the users are interessered in all the small details of the phone, why I dont understand why they havn't specified on jolla.com which GPU and CPU chip they are using. Also I like to hear lossless music, hence I were investigating the use of DAP - without any luck.

Only at the day of the release we were informed that 4G were a part of the hardwere, but not supported in the OS yet (and what about the band they are using?)

At the moment there is no CalDAV or MMS support, and no time frame given.

The UI and Font is still Closed Source - AFAIK.

There is no option to chech which native apps there is available, since the store is not open. I dont want to use Android apps, as i am afraid that no software developers will make their apps for Sailfish if they already have a product for Android.

And here after 2 weeks since I remitted the rest of "my" Jolla, there is still no one who have received it - apart of the 450 in Finland. Based on the T-Shirt deliveries I dont expect the phone before 2014 now.

Therefore I have now made the decision and cancelled the Jolla phone and still use my Nokia N9 or new android phone and keep an eye on the development of the Jolla Phone.

My 5 cents, and nice to get it off my chest.

Have others cancelled their Jolla, and why?

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to corkpcp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Hello, I have not canceled my order. But I really can understand you very well. I'm all well on the nerves. ' The whole " soon " in " short time " info are no longer funny .
Gives us the community little info about the hardware and operating system development.
Any Native programs that are being programmed by Jolla ? Any updates in sight ? Any info production in China? Are the smartphones on the way to Finland ? You may already arrived and only need to be programmed ? If you installed with a newer update ? I mean, there are soooo many things where you can tell us !

Unlike in turn , we have been waiting sooo long , we can wait the 2-3 weeks . Just give us the info if it really works before Christmas !?
I think more will most surely know at all. Perhaps even more when it is scheduled with the shipping !

Regarding the native programs. Since I will agree with you . This will continue to be a problem. Android apps are nice and great, but does not make the thing.
The community will certainly have to donate their time for it again .
Programs such as SoundHound , Shazam , Skype, Whatapp etc. Jolla for legal reasons probably not native port .

brings unique programs. e.g. xmpp files send / telephony. This has NO other mobile operating system. I bet those "little" things will get you much further. (it is only an example)

Jolla: Please build your first OS for Jolla smartphones. Fix bugs and co and the wishes of the community perceive BEFORE you want your OS ported to other Android smartphones.

Excuse me for my bad english use Google translator because I do not know all the words

The Following User Says Thank You to cvp For This Useful Post:
Posts: 284 | Thanked: 661 times | Joined on Aug 2013 @ Finland
Nope, but I think you have valid reasons for cancelling. I also think Jolla crew has many valid reasons for their decisions.

They know the users are interessered in all the small details of the phone, why I dont understand why they havn't specified on jolla.com which GPU and CPU chip they are using.
CPU: Qualcomm Krait 400
GPU: Adreno 305

I think reason for not publishing the specs is that they dislike 'the specs race' and have stated that many times. Also, maybe they would've told you the complete specs if you tried contacting them via e-mail? Don't know that for sure though.

It's what you value that "validates" your decision, and I'm eagerly waiting for my Jolla. As for the delivery, my order changed to "in picking" just yesterday

Last edited by Thoke; 2013-12-06 at 11:30.

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to Thoke For This Useful Post:
Posts: 72 | Thanked: 75 times | Joined on Nov 2013 @ Finland
I have not cancelled my order, but I understand your feelings. And I'm also ready to be disappointed with the OS for now with certain things missing. But if it's anything like the N9, it will receive updates and in six months will be much better. I would have done wisely to wait with the purchase but I wanted to show my support, mostly because of me being Finnish... Sometimes being Finnish costs 399! What I can say is if you're not happy with the phone in its current beta state, just hold on to it and start using it as your main phone once the major bugs have bewn squashed.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Miharin For This Useful Post:
Thoke @ There is only two reasons I can see why they are withholding informations.

1) Partners/Agreements
2) Afraid of lossing customers

We, as fans/supporters, are using the same excuses on behalf of Jolla as the Apple users did for the iPhone 1.

MMS - nobody is using that, all are using mail/facebook now.
4G - Yes, it not active - but it will be.
CPU/GPU - the community can inform people about that by

I were following JollaHQ on Twitter, and people kept asking for FM radio support. Only on the release day Jolla informed by Twitter it were not possible. They knew about that long before the release day.
I told my self that they have never promissed a FM radio in the phone, so it is OK.
Nor have they promissed us eg. MMS.

"Shipments starts 27 november" - maybe from China it does, but not to the end user. My status is still "paid". When they shipped the T-shirts I received mine about a month later.

I were prepared for a beta product, but is disapointed that Jolla cannot be open about the product/software to the audience who are supporting them and are asking for an open dialog.

Given that I have an N9 i truly know the meaning of an PR update But I also clearly remember how long to took to get them and the features received and lost at each PR.

Agree that spec's is not important for Sailfish OS but Jolla is a product for the cummunity people, FOSS supporters, Linux users and the thing all is asking for is an open product. Which Jolla - IMO - dont fulfills.

To my understanding is an Android phone, with a bootloader unlocked and AOSP is more open source than Sailfish/Jolla is at the moment.

I know that I'm being ideological, but it were because of this I pre-ordered in the first place.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to corkpcp For This Useful Post:
Did you get all the money back? All 299 from the phone, 100 from the preorder and the 15 from shipping? I asked then through care@jolla.com 3 days ago, and still no answer to a fairly simple question.

Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
CPU: Qualcomm Krait 400
Actually the phone reports that the SoC model is an 8930, which is a Krait 200, pretty much the low-to-middle end of the Snapdragon 400 range, a range that Qualcom themselves describe as being "[d]esigned for mid-tier smartphones".

Originally Posted by Thoke View Post
they dislike 'the specs race' and have stated that many times
Well perhaps. But I don't think that simply disliking the specs race is sufficient reason to conceal the specs. On the other hand if you were producing a phone with specifications perhaps lower than your early target market (pre-orders) might be anticipating - particularly given the price point - and accepting that the specifications race is an unavoidable part of the market you are launching in to, you might also want to keep those specifications secret until the last possible moment to try to ensure that as many as possible of those pre-orders are turned into actual purchases.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by txus View Post
Did you get all the money back? All 299 from the phone, 100 from the preorder and the 15 from shipping? I asked then through care@jolla.com 3 days ago, and still no answer to a fairly simple question.
I just did it today, and based on my last questions to Jolla i dont expect a reply before end next week.

Hello, I have not canceled my order. But true sad for they position, which is more different from start - magic word "unlike"(when preorder starts). Now official note: "The first deliveries are going to happen in Finland, because Finland is our home market. All the pre-order customers from EU, Norway, and Switzerland in both 1st and 2nd pre-booking campaigns will be served in the priority order they have placed their original orders." (priority order also seems strange and unknown).
So seems there is no true priority 1 or 2 preorder we made .All information "Soon"- start sound like they can patent new Jolla name "Jolla soon"

Originally Posted by corkpcp View Post
I just did it today, and based on my last questions to Jolla i dont expect a reply before end next week.
Yeah, this is not being a serious attitude. And that's actually the reason why I didn't went your route, because I don't want to depend on them anymore. Have you considered getting it and selling it to someone outside of the supported countries to help out a bit? I think I'll be doing that.

The Following User Says Thank You to txus For This Useful Post: