Poll: Did you conver anyone to Maemo?
Poll Options
Did you conver anyone to Maemo?

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by Daneel View Post
My point was that the n900 has a gaming experience is not so grim as some people here try to paint it to be.
Until it's native, ongoing support and/or ongoing sales via the OVI store, it's grim. Hoping that folks will continue to support a community project when even Nokia doesn't support the phone or OS in question is pretty damn much a deadend no matter how nice of a term you wish to use.

Yes, Android/iPhone experience might be better(i don't agree since playing games with a keyboard or a keypad is the only way to play games for me).
I never said better. I said only negative about the lack of native N900 games - or the fact that stuff like Preenv that might work now still requires users to "find" the games somehow, somewhere outside of the attached OVI store to the N900.

Yes, it might be more difficult to get access to a big portion of the N900 gaming experience when compared to Apple/Android universal app store but lets face it, as phones get more advanced, so do their users.
What if a Preenv game supports or requires multi-touch? Or better yet, what if you actually want to support Gameloft with a purchase - there's at least one member here that works for Gameloft.

Explain to him how that kind of gaming supports his livelihood. I'd like to see that.

The N900 is quite good for my gaming needs and I have a long history of gaming - from attending Quake1/3 tournaments, making Quake Defrag videos, Starcraft tournaments and also successfully dabbling in the plague - World of Warcraft.
I suspect quite a few people who use the device feel the same way.
Let's see... Quake 1 through 3 - not modern (1996-1999). StarCraft - which one? Original StarCraft was 1998. StarCraft II would be considered modern. Do you mean that?

I guess modern means something totally different to you.

As does legally obtained software it seems. Anyway, I'm done.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
If you ask me, Nokia has converted a sh*tload of maemo users to other platform (Android, iOS, WebOS, etc) with their quick one-two punch of discontinuing maemo and exiting MeeGo development.
My god he actually says something sensible !!!! i take my bloody hat off i do.

Posts: 311 | Thanked: 376 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Hungary
Clearly a mistake on my part opening the topic. The N900 past its prime is hated even by its most loyal developers. What surprises me is the fact, that most of you only see a handheld gaming console in the device. Probably you wanted an OpenPandora? The s*tload of farting-apps considered games on iPhone/Android does not bother you? How many actualy good games are out there? QuakeIII might be an 1999 game, it still is more "modern" than LightsaberApp #23334.
I do not want an N900/iPhone showdown, its Apples and Oranges (pun intended), but lets say you want to open and edit a spreadsheet on the go. Sure, there are documents-to-go for the iPhone... But how does OpenOffice compares to that? Or lets stay at the standard features, I *personally* think, MicroB is more comfortable and feature-rich than Safari. Or the standard Android bowser. But thats just me, you don't have to prove me wrong, that would be *your* point of view.
So my friend decided he likes the N900 better than the iPhone he had been using for years. To be honest it surprised me as well, I knew he was planning to change, just not this fast. Maybe he will be disappointed, maybe he wont, thats not for you to decide and tell him. So lets stay ontopic shall we?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zdanee For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
I have never used, seen, nor ran into a person with average or higher intelligence with a fart app on their iPhone. Perhaps the circle I run with that actually do own the iPhone or iPad don't fall into the "Oooh! I need a fart app" - just buy Taco Bell and be done with it.

I didn't want OpenPandora - having an Nintendo DSi, Sony PSP and access to very capable and modern gaming systems resolves that. I have... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Reckless Driving on my Android phone.

That's it.

I don't see a gaming platform. I see a phone. I don't care for mobile Safari. Never have. I use Dolphin HD on my Android phone and I use Perfect Browser on my iPad.

To open a spreadsheet on the iPad - I use Numbers. Or Readdle. Or QuickOffice. You have to install EasyDebian, then OpenOffice. The whole part that you lot are overlooking... let's see how many new apps that do not require EasyDebian or NITDroid will come out for Maemo 5 in say... 6 months or so.

Let's talk then. The words "high and dry" immediately come to mind.

Glad your friend found the N900 immediately accessible. I did too. I just like being supported in the odd situation I need the company that made my phone to actually be able to fix my probs.

Posts: 1,111 | Thanked: 1,985 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Åbo, Finland
@gebrick and @daneel
There are 2 pretty good reasons to buy an N900. 1. You're an open source enthusiast/linux geek/developer on the go. 2. you hate the other ones (android and iphone, the others mean nothing) or just want to belong to the elite group that have this awesome device.
EDIT: Ok I admit that's more than 2 reasons.

The N900 is the absolute opposite of the iPhone, and from what I've seen on my friends' iPhone 4's and Galaxies they have some pretty epic games compared to the N900. There are some nice pre games but still, doesn't really compare to stuff like infinity blade so if you buy the N900 for gaming modern games, then you're just delusional. The N900 is great for retrogaming though, which is what I love the most.

So in general I agree with you gebrick, but the "I demand this and that because I paid this and expected that and it's in my imaginary rights as a customer waah waah" whine is incredibly annoying. Please stop it.

PS don't tell me android is linux because it ain't the same f***ing ball park. It ain't the same league. It ain't even the same f***ing sport!

PPS I just said that because I wanted to use the PF quote so don't start debating about android not being linux.
Agro ... : [----------] Relic(s) : N95, NGage, Tamyia Wild One

Try Tweed Suit for your hardcore twittering needs
http://twitter.com/mece66
I like my coffee black, like my metal.

Last edited by mece; 2011-03-07 at 08:44.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mece For This Useful Post:
Posts: 179 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Yorkshire, UK
I have converted 7 people to Android and 1 to an iphone, and at least 6 conversions to any other phone that isn't Nokia (1 LG, 2 Samsung, 3 HTC) not including a complete stranger that worked in Argos and saw me 'waiting' (with insults) for my phone to bring up my SMS with the reservation number, to any other phone other than Nokia. Don't know what he went for in the end.

Not sure if we should start a 'who has converted how many to others' score sheet, with prizes.

Still, hopefully will get a payout from work in the next few weeks and then I can afford to ditch this thing and find something with a word processor and fast internet and never again see the words 'index' or 'tracker'

Anti-Nokia Ambassador

Originally Posted by ysss View Post
If you ask me, Nokia has converted a sh*tload of maemo users to other platform (Android, iOS, WebOS, etc) with their quick one-two punch of discontinuing maemo and exiting MeeGo development.
That was the master stroke of step 4: Make sure the riffraff never come back. Unfortunately, Nokia doesn't really understand FOSS yet, and thus we lost people like qwerty12. But not a bad effort; I give Nokia a solid B+.

The Following User Says Thank You to daperl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,425 | Thanked: 983 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Hong Kong
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
I have never used, seen, nor ran into a person with average or higher intelligence with a fart app on their iPhone. Perhaps the circle I run with that actually do own the iPhone or iPad don't fall into the "Oooh! I need a fart app" - just buy Taco Bell and be done with it.

I didn't want OpenPandora - having an Nintendo DSi, Sony PSP and access to very capable and modern gaming systems resolves that. I have... Angry Birds, Fruit Ninja and Reckless Driving on my Android phone.

That's it.

I don't see a gaming platform. I see a phone. I don't care for mobile Safari. Never have. I use Dolphin HD on my Android phone and I use Perfect Browser on my iPad.

To open a spreadsheet on the iPad - I use Numbers. Or Readdle. Or QuickOffice. You have to install EasyDebian, then OpenOffice. The whole part that you lot are overlooking... let's see how many new apps that do not require EasyDebian or NITDroid will come out for Maemo 5 in say... 6 months or so.

Let's talk then. The words "high and dry" immediately come to mind.

Glad your friend found the N900 immediately accessible. I did too. I just like being supported in the odd situation I need the company that made my phone to actually be able to fix my probs.
Do you take pride in having converted to iPhone from N900? I hope this is on-topic.

Lol I'd tell them to wait for the N950... Converting people to N900 now is like telling people to buy the N97... (ok not HORRIBLE but outdated somewhat)...

Yes the n900 is a good phone and its amazing in what it represents... But if the n950 really is coming out in 6 months... Why recommend a phone that already lost public support?

I guess the N900 will always be sold for what it represents more than what its actually 'worth' today.

Posts: 66 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Dubai
Originally Posted by zdanee View Post
I've converted an iPhone user. A friend of mine saw my phone last week, played a little bit with it and was amazed. I've told him about maemo and how open and hackable the phone is, showed him some preenv games and some massive multitasking at 1150MHz, and he was sold. Yesterday he IM'ed me: "Hi! I've got an N900! Now what was that community website you told me about last time?". Turn out, his iPhone's WiFi had fried, and so instead of a new iPhone 4 he choose the light side of the Force

So did you convert anyone?
I converted my boss from android based phone to N900 last year and 6 months later converted myself from N900 to iphone4. Now telling my boss to go the iOS way.

Last edited by sak500; 2011-03-07 at 15:14.

Tags
bada rox, convert, games, syinbin, tick pepol, twig the tool