Poll: Did you order a Jolla tablet?
Poll Options
Did you order a Jolla tablet?

Closed Thread
Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
A... what? You want open communication from Jolla? You must be out of your mind!
I think what he means is (Dave correct me if i'm wrong) that a lot of maemo and geek and FOSS users liked Jolla at start as Jolla promised to communicate, to make it transparent and tinkering friendly device. But if company makes a lot of noise to promote themselves(yaya, crowdfunding, give us money), but no vital info provided when needed(we got there are delay, but till when, what's the problems, should we be worried, after all people paid money here) and if there are problems Jolla plays with us hide-n-seek and ignores us, than it means that their politics are not better than any other companies.
Simple example is SIM problem, when co-founder tells us that no info yet, but we'll provide it as soon as we get there, and all we get "there are some problems, talk to care". Sure there are problems as we reported it, otherwise we wouldn't, and sure we know ahead to ping care or support, as that's how it's done, but it's not "we'll provide you the info". Some promises are made and it's okay if they are not fullfilled if company says why and what, but they keep promising and then disappear.
if any person would promise me a lot of things (especially if i pay him) and after he got money he would disappear, not explaining why — it would turn red light for me. But if people are blind to it coz they have sentimental feelings for specific person — i have nothing to say

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
what? No. too many words and has nothing to do with maemo. Its just that when you do it for a crowed you are doing it for the crowed and not for yourself. atleast pretend to do so even if goal is another...inform us...we are the crowed.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-06-25 at 21:12.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
what? No. too many words and has nothing to do with maemo. Its just that when you do it for a crowed you are doing it for the crowed and not for yourself. atleast pretend to do so even if goal is another...inform us...we are the crowed.
I think they're shitting themselves, tbh. Crowdfunding delivery delays can turn into a nightmarish PR disaster.

They clearly aren't anywhere near a polished RC for v2.0. They've missed the original deadline, delayed it 2 months to July, and yet in their recent update they "hope" that 1.1.7 (due next month) will help remove some of the blockers stopping 2.0 from being released for tablet & phone.

Seeing as they seem to regard August as a sacrosanct holiday month, despite being a small company with a huge amount to do, even if they get something out of the door by the end of July, the likelihood is that there'll be a lot of angry crowdfunders wondering why the mess that was released isn't getting small, iterative fixes all the time. Plus investors will be getting restive, as they begin to see signs of non-delivery again.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by bluefoot View Post
I think they're shitting themselves, tbh. Crowdfunding delivery delays can turn into a nightmarish PR disaster.

They clearly aren't anywhere near a polished RC for v2.0. They've missed the original deadline, delayed it 2 months to July, and yet in their recent update they "hope" that 1.1.7 (due next month) will help remove some of the blockers stopping 2.0 from being released for tablet & phone.

Seeing as they seem to regard August as a sacrosanct holiday month, despite being a small company with a huge amount to do, even if they get something out of the door by the end of July, the likelihood is that there'll be a lot of angry crowdfunders wondering why the mess that was released isn't getting small, iterative fixes all the time. Plus investors will be getting restive, as they begin to see signs of non-delivery again.
I would like to add to this the tablet dev loan program: hand picked developers were supposed to get a loan device shipped by the end of June. Afaik no one has got an invite for this program. I asked about it some time ago at irc and recently in Twitter. At irc some well known devs have also been asking about the program lately. No answers.

Of course it could be that there's some program going on but there are strict NDA's for it. But to be honest I have a feeling that the tablet shipping date is going to be postponed again. I really hope that this is not the case and Jolla will deliver as promised. Anyhow, some status update from Jolla wouldn't hurt too much at this point since the customer shipping was advertised to be starting in July...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
1. Money issue. This is the most serious issue and can kill the tablet campaign as well as the jolla. Not that likely, however I've not found any economic result from jolla, no information about any big investments. Jolla generated some money from phones and tablet but I've doubt that money cover the R&D for this many years...still I don't think this is the issue now.

2. Jolla got an issue with hw or sw and they can't solve it.(fast enough) so they trying out some "short cuts" which doesn't end well...

3. Everything is fine. It's just that everyone is on vacation and jollas employees don't can't post information without approval from management.

4. All other options...

What ever this is...information should arrive on schedule... like yesterday....Why no info?

From jolla blog...
coderus on April 23, 2015 at 10:22 am
Please let us know new display model name

Juha Paakkari on April 23, 2015 at 2:15 pm
Hi coderus,
We are publishing a tablet hardware update post soon here on the blog, and there we’ll explain the HW progress in more detail.

skanky on June 24, 2015 at 8:29 pm
Any news/idea on when the hardware post will be?

+1 to skanky. That is a valid question.

Last edited by Dave999; 2015-06-28 at 06:44.

Originally Posted by skvark View Post
I would like to add to this the tablet dev loan program: hand picked developers were supposed to get a loan device shipped by the end of June. Afaik no one has got an invite for this program. I asked about it some time ago at irc and recently in Twitter. At irc some well known devs have also been asking about the program lately. No answers.

Of course it could be that there's some program going on but there are strict NDA's for it. But to be honest I have a feeling that the tablet shipping date is going to be postponed again. I really hope that this is not the case and Jolla will deliver as promised. Anyhow, some status update from Jolla wouldn't hurt too much at this point since the customer shipping was advertised to be starting in July...
I suspect v2.0 is rough but workable on the phone with perhaps a few major but not insurmountable issues. On the tablet; somewhere between completely unusable and as bad as the Jolla Phone was for the first few months of its life - both of which would be unacceptable for release. If it was in a better state, the marketing team would be releasing videos (nothing since MWC) and PR guff, both to hype it and to placate buyers.

The radio silence reflects the panic, disarray and poor management that was so evident last year.

Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
snip
Nothing to do with money. They recently completed a funding round and also got $2m from Indiegogo. If they have no cash already, then something's very wrong indeed. Instead it has everything to do with poor focus, leadership and a development process that's probably still full of holes. I seriously doubt everything was fixed after the debacle last summer & autumn, as claimed. Their way of leaving basic problems for months or years without even attempting (very simple) fixes suggests very poor discipline on some level. Also, I suspect they have nowhere near enough senior software engineers and fixers relative to executives and PR, and some of those they do have are being distracted with the Kremlin project and no doubt other things. Even 2-3 years ago they seemed to have an HR structure which looked like a company with a mature product that would sell well, rather than a start-up with a product which needed heavy development and little marketing and initial high level negotiations with other companies.

Last edited by bluefoot; 2015-06-28 at 10:45.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 478 times | Joined on Sep 2014 @ Netherlands
@skvark: I've read from a few Jolla devs on Twitter that they've gotten their loan tablet device so Jolla clearly has sent them out.

Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
@skvark: I've read from a few Jolla devs on Twitter that they've gotten their loan tablet device so Jolla clearly has sent them out.
That is good news indeed. Now we only need to extract some information. Do you have any links?

1. Is true?
2. What is the status of the Hw?
3. What is the status of the Sw?

This is information that should public(via jolla blog) without inferring with devProgress, or reveal any secrets about the product, project.

If jolla do a blog post about a loan program, and then noone ever hear about it again. Why even publicly announce it in the first place. Its counterproductive and make no sense what so ever.

At least if there are any tablets in the wild with end users it's really good!

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 389 times | Joined on Dec 2013 @ Finland
Originally Posted by vistaus View Post
Nice, any links to these?

Posts: 1,389 | Thanked: 1,857 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Israel
After some search on twitter found only one person saying he tried the tablet. and she is not a developer. And as always tweet was saying that Jolla tablet is opensource (someone corrected her, but she did not re-post tweet with correction )
So who exactly are those people on tweeter who got tablet?

Closed Thread

Tags
moral hazard, paypal refund