Closed Thread
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
"via the Micro-USB", to be more precise.

Following with some reactions in the N900 Specifications thread:

There is no doubt that most users (even most Maemo target users) would prefer saving cables and having one single standard interface for charging over USB OTG.

Note that a separate charging port doesn't only mean more cables, but also more volume and complexity in the design of the device. If you think "it's only a small slot!" is because you (like me) are not really into engineering mobile hardware.

You can't connect a camera in host mode, but the N900 comes with a good camera. The use case is still relevant but is not as heavy as in previous Maemo devices.

You can't connect a hard drive in host mode, but the N900 comes with a big internal memory expandable with a MicroSD card. The use case is still relevant but is not as heavy as in previous Maemo devices.

USB OTG is in our radar for future releases, yes. Too soon to make an official commitment though.
Thats what I thought too and have mentioned here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31005&page=36 (#355)

Nokia is defining an upgrade path. Don't like!

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
Mobidapter
IIRC, I think that won't work on the n900 because the n900 has an internal connector inside the case where you insert the microSD, not an externally-accessible slot. So it seems there's no way to connect the bulky Mobidapter.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Otaku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 232 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Chicago/D.C./Katowice
Originally Posted by vkv.raju View Post
Thats what I thought too and have mentioned here http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=31005&page=36 (#355)

Nokia is defining an upgrade path. Don't like!
every company has an upgrade path, nokias mistake was in letting the avg person see that

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to UCOMM For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
IIRC, I think that won't work on the n900 because the n900 has an internal connector inside the case where you insert the microSD, not an externally-accessible slot. So it seems there's no way to connect the bulky Mobidapter.
The previous QA said that it was hot-swapable, so while you might have to take off the back-plate, wouldn't you still be able to use this?

Also, does anyone know if there's some sort of BT to USB adapter?

Hm, I was convinced that the n900 despite the reserve on battery life is the best hacker device out there... That idea just went out the window...

I was prepared to accept a cut back in screen size, size, battery life just not on features over my old n800.

OTOH maybe we could solder our own host usb port ?

The Following User Says Thank You to icebox For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
I don't know which position has the microsd slot on the n900 but imho the mobidapter could be used only if the port is on a side of the device, otherwise there would be no space to make it enter inside.

Anyone with the real thing, please confirm if the Mobidapter plunge could be inserted, or is the slot recessed and can't be reached?

Good point, but in practice, if someone asks me to read a USB stick, it would be a bit awkward to pop the back plate of the phone, stick in the Mobidapter and the USB stick, and somehow hold the device so the screen is visible without the Mobidapter falling out and damaging the connector in the process. What I could imagine working is if you jury-rigged a ribbon cable connector from the Mobidapter that could then be fed into the n900 internal connector. Still would look pretty Frankenstein-ish, though.

The idea of a BT to USB adapter, if one exists, sounds much better.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Otaku For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,041 | Thanked: 1,066 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Houston
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
"

USB OTG is in our radar for future releases, yes. Too soon to make an official commitment though.
When you mean future releases, do you mean hardware or software releases? If you mean software then i would assume the community can come up with something similar?

The Following User Says Thank You to sachin007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
The microsd slot seems unfit for the mobidapter

Unless you hack some kind of flat cable from the mobidapter to a dummy microsd to fit in the slot.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
EDIT: That's eerie, that debernardis and I would post the same picture at the same time, with the same comment following it!

Here's a pic of the internal microSD slot from the infamous mobile-review first look article:

We'll have to wait for craves1 to build us some kind of adapter thing, I guess... An adapter that goes in the microSD slot with a cable that snakes out of the case, with a plug for an external mobidapter-type device.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
awesomeness in the works, boulevard of broken deals, host, i am the dealbreaker, inspector gadget lies, mobidapter is a scam, nokia fanbois, otg, over 9000, usb, usbcontrol