Active Topics

I still hope that the latest kernel combined with a new sofware stack (eg debian and maybe incl. some open source parts of meamo) can replace fremantle in 2017 on the N900.

Then it should be possible to apt-get more up-to-date software from a current arm repo. A working purple-facebook plugin for pidgin is available for raspberry pi, so I assume that would solve the facebook messenger problem as well then. Killing multiple birds with one stone...

So I'd rather see devs working on this and some important security fixes for CSSU / kernel instead of spending time maintaining one package that depends on a proprietary protocol that can change any minute.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to t-b For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by Ridd92 View Post
And, so, Im asking again, if devs have this wide and practical knowledge on rebuild kernels and so, so why don't have few minutes to focus on simple bugs? Or this is not so simple?
What level answer do you want? There are so many it is hard to choose from.

On a very basic level, you have answered it yourself: it is not that simple. There is a difference between let's say a kernel (whose source code is all in the public domain) or your own application (that is fully in your control) and an application that needs to talk to a remote server that is not under your control, that changes the interface all the time and whose owner actively prevents you from following the changes. Even someone who "has 0 knowledge of this stuff" should be able to understand that.

Maemo is officially a dead platform. It is kept alive solely on the good will of a handful of developers who sacrifice their spare time - time that you may choose to spend by going down the pub or, by the sound if it, by chatting on Facebook. Not only do they not get paid for their work, they even get the poop from the likes of you.

Lastly, imagine you spend 12 hours at work, come home, quickly wolf down the dinner and sit down to the computer to do more work. What kind of work would you make that to be? Something boring and unrewarding and doomed to fail for all the reasons mentioned above, only to satisfy one rude poster you have never met? Or something you actually enjoy?

Think about it.

Originally Posted by Ridd92 View Post
Are we forced to buy android shitty phone just to chat over fb?
Where exactly is the problem? You are happy to use a shitty chat service. What is wrong with showing a bit of consistency and using a shitty phone with it?

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Where exactly is the problem? You are happy to use a shitty chat service. What is wrong with showing a bit of consistency and using a shitty phone with it?
The problem is that this shitty level of engagement with solving problems on a supposedly wide open (as in opportunity and capability) platform has produced much of absolutely nothing but a bunch of white papers, idle chat and esoteric and often retired before ever being completed options that are as swift and changeable as a newborn's diaper - just as equally shitty and as often so.

Simply stated, this so-called freedom yields very little results, only cries for freedom to argue about which shell or text editor is most important and a bunch of naysayers that ask what's the problem because they don't see a damn thing that's not a problem because they don't experience it.

To the OP, buy the Android device and **** whatever else is said in this thread. You'll not get an answer that will satisfy your needs; especially when what you've deemed as important is far less important to those folks that could possibly resolve your problem. To them, your want doesn't match their want.

Open platform indeed.

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,074 | Thanked: 12,960 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Sofia,Bulgaria
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
The problem is that this shitty level of engagement with solving problems on a supposedly wide open (as in opportunity and capability) platform has produced much of absolutely nothing but a bunch of white papers, idle chat and esoteric and often retired before ever being completed options that are as swift and changeable as a newborn's diaper - just as equally shitty and as often so.

Simply stated, this so-called freedom yields very little results, only cries for freedom to argue about which shell or text editor is most important and a bunch of naysayers that ask what's the problem because they don't see a damn thing that's not a problem because they don't experience it.

To the OP, buy the Android device and **** whatever else is said in this thread. You'll not get an answer that will satisfy your needs; especially when what you've deemed as important is far less important to those folks that could possibly resolve your problem. To them, your want doesn't match their want.

Open platform indeed.
Which exactly part of "Facebook blocked all maemo admins" is not clear to you?

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...4&postcount=56

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...&id=7855690587

Please elaborate so I can explain.

It is almost exactly the same with watsapp, which bans users for not using their "official" client in an instant, thus forcing yappari to be abandoned. Or google, using proprietary closed protocol for hangouts. Or youtube, changing base.js every now and then. etc.

Where is your "freedom" here? Please, do your homework before putting us all under the mark of "bunch of bearded nerds, interested in noting more but shell or text editor"

720p video support on N900,SmartReflex on N900,Keyboard and mouse support on N900
Nothing is impossible - Stable thumb2 on n900

Community SSU developer
kernel-power developer and maintainer

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to freemangordon For This Useful Post:
Originally this was a problem in 2011. You witnessed a Facebook Dev problem in 2016. There's a post in this thread here you go that prompted the current interest in Facebook Chat and how it was no longer working but folks were too busy with other, more important things. You know... like... well you know (I got nothing)

For such an open platform, not much of **** has been produced that would actually be considered important in the last year or so. If that's too harsh, feel free to prove me wrong. But I never stated "bearded nerds". I would say a bunch of self-important people that think that they're too busy to resolve 5 year old thread with consistent issues that were labeled WONTFIX when Nokia still coddled those devs.

These closed systems do exist. Sadly the freedom to do anything on these handheld computers has yet to yield better options. Just a lot of talk and no action.

Thus my statement stands; you want Facebook or anything modern and more connected than a text editor, go elsewhere. One less person to complain about things that can't be fixed. Win-win situation if I ever saw one.

No homework needed. Maemo is long dead if you want something to work that's not also open source.

Community Council | Posts: 677 | Thanked: 1,227 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Mbabane
Incidentally, that post gerbick ... yes I made it (in 2016), and I think it's completely correct.

But do you know what else I did afterward?

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=54 .. went through the documentation on that App Review until I was ready to get something done with freemangordon's help .. and around that time, things just got worse, https://www.facebook.com/maemo.org/p...53223853095588

On a side note, I (and I know other devs who did the same) looked at the pidgin plugin t-b mentioned. I got stuck at some of the system requirements it has, which incidentally take us back to having to upgrade the base system (libglib, kernel). https://github.com/dequis/purple-fac...debian/control

If anyone can help solve those, I could give myself time to try build for N900 ...

Ridd92 mentions salaries for devs?
I know about not regular and monthly sallary for devs, but im not sure what happens to my and others donations. This money don't comes from clouds, I must work on it
Of course N900 isn't going to last forever and that's a natural fact.

For myself, I'm quite happy to have had the chance to be part of such a community, benefit and learn from some of the work that the devs have done thus far. It's unreasonable to expect everything to work the way we would like. I see there's GTK3 efforts, new base systems as t-b mentioned, etc. I doubt I'll still be with Maemo at that future time, but the work done thus far is impressive and amazing (to me)

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to sicelo For This Useful Post:
Sicelo, whereas my tone might denote otherwise, I appreciate all that the devs do or have attempted to do. However, the services that a lot of folks tend to depend upon have made it very clear that people are indeed the product and they will close out any attempt to participate on devices that they do not officially support - Facebook, Twitter, otherwise.

Open source variants exist, in some cases are probably superior given the security deployed, so forth. But in this case (and I'm biased against Facebook), I'd still have to suggest go elsewhere than Maemo.

If there's a solution, it's not happened in quite some time. But if it's possible, it'll have to be whenever the devs dedicate the time to resolve it... and I maintain that's a mismatch of intent.

And with that, I've stated the same thing thrice. I'll shut up now. Good luck on your endeavors, all of them.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
Maemo is long dead if you want something to work that's not also open source.
You've hit the nail on the head. For better or worse, that's exactly it. For some people, it is a good thing. For others, perhaps less so. Those might be happier somewhere else.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 188 | Thanked: 223 times | Joined on Apr 2013 @ Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You've hit the nail on the head. For better or worse, that's exactly it. For some people, it is a good thing. For others, perhaps less so. Those might be happier somewhere else.
As you said, somewhere else. I've been there, done that. Acctually been doing it for last half a year *using android device).

Since that moment I won't tell ever again that android is shitty. It's just very different kind of device comparing to the n900. Android is for mass, everyday phone. Can't do many things that can be easily done with n900. But this is one side. Second is, n900 can remain our jewel as pocket computer.

Nokia meant this device to be one's companion in everyday life. I know the specs are out of date. But it doesn't bother me. n900 was perfect to be this useful peace of electronics in your pocket, why, I just simply ask why can't we bring back it's charm?

I have enough of android even though it has it's uses. Now I'm back with my n900. Everything is more than fine, but I still miss fb chat ability.

Sometime ago I've made an offer. If somebody can create plugin that will allow n900 to connect with fb chat and have basic options I will pay 100$.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ridd92 For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
That's a generous offer; indeed I think someone should look into it. Probably there are other people too who might want to contribute to raise such a bounty; seems that there still are people who want to use FB for one reason or another.

I personally am trying to avoid such entrapment into legacy "services" that are just a front-end into turning me to a nicely packaged*product

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:

Tags
facebook, maemo